users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Low man AF3 feet farming
Low man AF3 feet farming
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2010-11-14 00:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I am having a hard time witht he lights on af3 feet farming. I'm aware that pearl/azure/ruby/amber needs to be capped but havent been able to get TE's to drop fast enough. We went as a group of 4, 2x blm 1x mnk 1x dnc. All 4 fought glowy mobs till we got 4x pearl kills and 4x azure ( 4 for safe messure). The melee's then went to solo eft (attohwa chasm) and kill glowies when they popped. Me and the other blm went to kill worms for massive amount of kills/chests. After about 2-3 groups of 4-6 worms our chest drop rate dropped from ~80% down to maybe 25% really quickly. We ended up timming out shortly later due to not being able to keep pearl capped without consintrating on glowing mobs (sorry my spelling sucks). Any hints/advice what are we doing wrong?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-14 00:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Why cap ruby if you're after blue/gold chests?
By Gemah 2010-11-14 00:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're having a hard time just go in with an alliance, build up all the lights you need, get whatever time you want from TE, then farm on your own or with a few friends.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 00:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A good number to aim for is 30 lights of the types you want. The ephemerals give enhanced lights, and iirc depend on what Martello cores the zone currently has in it's possession. I usually assume a light off an Ephemeral is +5. You want 30 Pearl and 30 Azure for certain. You DO NOT .... EVER.... want Ruby lights if you want to farm Time/Gold boxes. If you're farming af3 feet my (very educated) guess is that you only want ~10 or so amber lights since you'd want the smaller boxes to drop instead of the larger ones since those drop AF feet more often. However the larger boxes tend to drop x2 of the same feet, but way less frequently. Might want to research this.

TLDR: 30 Pearl(Auto-Attack), 30 Azure(Magic), NO RUBY(Phys. WS), 10-30 Amber(Magic WS), Ephemerals are approximately +5 lights.

A tip: If someone Ruby kills a mob, kick them from your alliance and save yourself the trouble. Sure it's a little harsh, but that's pretty unacceptable.
[+]
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2010-11-14 00:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm maybe it does have to do with the ephemeral not giving the full +10 everytime like wikia and most peeps have been saying...that would make sence. Although the chest drop rate did seem to lessen as we went on regardless
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 00:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said:
Hmm maybe it does have to do with the ephemeral not giving the full +10 everytime like wikia and most peeps have been saying...that would make sence. Although the chest drop rate did seem to lessen as we went on regardless

I'm not going to call myself the Abyssea-Lights master, but I think of lights like a pie-chart. The one with the highest percentage is going to take effect. So like if you have a 10% Pearl and 90% Azure, your box rate is going to be ***. Maybe. I know it's something like this for Ruby vs Azure vs Amber chest-types. Also the closer your Pearl is to 30 the better your box drop-rate is.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-11-14 00:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok Newb question, I was thinking the same way...

so since Im not a master either of abyssea lights, b.c I just usually go on parties and hardly count my own lights, b.c I just go with the leader's orders...

What is the standard list of lights( in order..and how many of each do we want?

Our set up looks somethng like this...

thf,Blu,Drk,Summ.

but were killing Murexs.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2010-11-14 00:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

that varies on the leaders really but usually azure then pearl, build up time too 200ish min then switch to amber for af3 feet and drops, and 30+ lights is capped
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 00:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd do it in the order of Azure(30), Pearl(30), wait until you feel your time is at a comfortable level by killing fodder mobs, then start with Amber(10-30).

Honestly though Pearl and Azure are interchangeable, and you could do both at the same time. Or do like 10 azure, then 10 pearl, then 10 more azure, etc etc until they're both at 30.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2010-11-14 00:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ya usually on exp party when im leading, i tell everyone to try for their lights and do both at once whoever gets kill shot, once azure is capped blms stop for kill shot though
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 00:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

A tip: If someone Ruby kills a mob, kick them from your alliance and save yourself the trouble. Sure it's a little harsh, but that's pretty unacceptable.

IMO that is more then a little harsh... With all the damage breaking atmas, its very easy for a mob to go from good health, to very low health from others WSing. Was leveling NIN in attowha and went to WS with it at 70% but the very second I did, everyone else did and it shot down to literally 1%. I dont think I lagged but, I'd absolutely hate to get booted because I hit a WS macro at 70% and ended up killing it w/ ruby at 1%.

Also: There seems to be a glitch with Ruby, as everyone started bitching at me about getting a ruby, when I was sitting on 300 TP (I was half paying attention, and I was on NIN :<). In the log, I had gotten the kill, but I /did/ not WS, even checking the logs I hadnt WS'd... Though the last WS I saw was that of an automaton, and it was a very low health. The whole thing is... I had gotten a regular melee hit kill though, and somehow generated a ruby light >_>

SS 1: http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3201/jin1.png
SS 2: http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3151/jin2.png

/retopic:

I've done a low-man party for time/exp... but it wasnt for AF so idk how to go about that one.

What we did for it was had about 12 people (honestly about 6 were leeching) which consisted of a few DD 72-85, 1 Puller, 1 RDM, 1 WHM and 2 BLM. Everyone but the BLMs went to kill frogs (la thiene) while the BLM went and killed a few ephmeral, I believe.... about 6 or so.

The DD party killed frogs, getting only pearl and the chests started appearin pretty often after that, now I believe it would be a better idea to build a little time before trying to build the other lights, that way if you are trying this for the first time, you have a small buffer of time in which you wont get kicked out, and if things go awry, you can always just farm up a little more time, but you'd also be farming up more time as you were going along for the other lights.

Like everyone else said, ruby is bad, but its not super bad, as long as you dont get them a /whole/ lot. Just try to get about 10 to 15 amber kills (which is hard, cyclone and raiden thrust have crappy dmg but its what we used).

May want to invest in a little bigger of a group, maybe 6 to 10 or so would be a little easier as well. GL with your AF farming.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 01:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thought, is that the "Costadinos readies Sidewinder." but that the WS didnt actually go off, and it caused the game to think the Sidewinder killed? Which I think is still off because it wasnt the person /killing/ who did the WS that would've killed the mob.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 01:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on how long you're farming. One ruby can mess up a whole run.

Example: You're trying to farm popsets from gold chests, someone Rubies, suddenly the boxes go from 50% gold to about 10%.

Extreme, inaccurate example, but I hope it illustrates my point a bit.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 01:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
Another thought, is that the "Costadinos readies Sidewinder." but that the WS didnt actually go off, and it caused the game to think the Sidewinder killed? Which I think is still off because it wasnt the person /killing/ who did the WS that would've killed the mob.

It's quite possible. The game has a lot of weird glitches. @_@;
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 01:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

Example: You're trying to farm popsets from gold chests, someone Rubies, suddenly the boxes go from 50% gold to about 10%.

Yeah, but I honestly dont think that 1 ruby would be a major kill, and all you'd have to do is build up a few (maybe 1 of each) to combat it right? I'm not sure exactly as to how you combat, or get rid of unwanted lights, but I believe theres a way isnt there?
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 01:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

Yeah, but I honestly dont think that 1 ruby would be a major kill, and all you'd have to do is build up a few (maybe 1 of each) to combat it right? I'm not sure exactly as to how you combat, or get rid of unwanted lights, but I believe theres a way isnt there?

Nope. If you're planning to stay for hours just a single ruby is a giant kick in the nuts. You can try to shift the %s by adding other lights, but it still won't make it completely disappear.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 01:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

Nope. If you're planning to stay for hours just a single ruby is a giant kick in the nuts. You can try to shift the %s by adding other lights, but it still won't make it completely disappear.

Hmm, so would it be safe to say that if you had 33% pearl, 33% azure, and 33% amber (say 33 each) and 1% Ruby (1 WS kill) that it would be such a 'giant kick in the nuts'? Sounds like it would be a "might happen once every 100 mobs or so" kind of deal, which honestly isnt too bad. I think it only gets bad because when 1 person gets ruby, they're most likely the person who doesnt listen and spams a few ruby in a row, until kicked or told "hey, stop or we might slap your *** "

Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 01:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It adds up if you're mass-farming them over hours(Fell-cleave burn is a good example). Also a lot of people (myself included /sigh) have the really awful abyssite that ups the droprate of red boxes. I wish you could trash that. Anyway, it depends on what you are doing, but if you're staying in the zone for a while it really really sucks. Also yes, whenever we let a ruby go, it always happens again by the same person. Would rather just kick them than let them mess up the run.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 01:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I can see if you give them a warning like "Hey, can you guys stop WSing after 50%" and they get another, but I do kinda see it as extreme to kick them for 1 ruby, even though it sucks... x:
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-14 01:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I can see if you give them a warning like "Hey, can you guys stop WSing after 50%" and they get another, but I do kinda see it as extreme to kick them for 1 ruby, even though it sucks... x:

Would have given the warning before killing anything so really it's unacceptable. :x

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Stalkster
Server: Cerberus
user: stalkster
By Cerberus.Stalkster 2010-11-14 01:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done this dual box Drk/Sam+Brd/Whm. Not sure how well it works in other zones but mine was in Misareaux. Went in killed ele's 3magic kills(Azure) > 3Melee kills(Pearl) > 3Element WS kills(Amber), took about 30min's just on ele's. Make sure you get the pearl message etc(Idk if just me but seems pearl is harder to get then the others off ele's).

Then proceeded to kill Colibri 1day, then Murex other 2days(might as well make Gil right?). In about 16hr's i got 7Pld.., 2Rng 3Bst, 3Brd, and 0Drk(Yup was going for these), all KI's for both characters from gold chest, and about 1.6M scrolls/o.ingots/k.ore's etc. With no issue with keeping time up, not getting alot of time but not timing out. Made the brd soul voice/Night/Troub march's(then used restore chest for 2hr) every time a restore chest was up. This is with me using VV+RR Atma on drk, and deep w/e(-song casting)+Minki 10tic/refresh on Brd. Seems i could get a gold chest every 3-4kills killing with amber WS. Do not get Ruby kills.

Anyways after about 16hr's.. of trying they dropped in gold chest next LS event in the zone within 30min's /sigh. Not sure of other Job combo's tryed Thf+Rdm did not work as well and i timed out. Not sure if this will work for all drk's but gear/Merits/5-hit helps.

Good Luck~
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2010-11-14 02:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

wow very nice...and you can trash abysites you dont like
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-11-14 03:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I really thank you all for the input.. also at what point to, what Ws or Skillchains would be using?

Were trying to do the Two person method sometimes to like the second last comment...

If I was to take these types of combinations....

Blu & Drk or

Blu & Summ or

Blu & Thf or

Blu & Red or

Blu & Nin

Sounds to me you can Duo these chests and they would drop?

That sounds really cool!!! If 2 ppl can do this, Your so rally skipping the main idea of doing this in large scale parties that why would you need 18 party aliance to do this in.

Just trying to proove a point that this could actually be duo'd with 2 man then 18.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-11-14 03:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

Would have given the warning before killing anything so really it's unacceptable. :x

freakin power >.>

We had a guy join halfway through the run, cause someone left and they were rep. He WS killed and got bitched @ for doing so, without having any warning, so if you do that with reps as well then yeah.

Just feels like you gotta take into account human error in this... Next to nobody is going to have the attention span to care about that stuff after /hours/ of fighting tbh lol. I lose interest after about an hour, but drudge on for exp @_@;;
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-14 03:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
I really thank you all for the input.. also at what point to, what Ws or Skillchains would be using?

Were trying to do the Two person method sometimes to like the second last comment...

Blu & Drk or

Blu & Summ or

Blu & Thf or

Blu & Red or

Blu & Nin

That sounds really cool!!! If 2 ppl can do this, Your so rally skipping the main idea of doing this in large scale parties that why would you need 18 party aliance to do this in.

Just trying to proove a point that this could actually be duo'd with 2 man then 18.
BLU + RDM or BLU + NIN would be best given the options above. BLU can get all lights easily, the rest is just gravy.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-11-14 03:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Blu & Drk or

Blu & Summ or

Blu & Thf or

Blu & Red or

Blu & Nin

BLU + RDM or BLU + NIN would be best given the options above. BLU can get all lights easily, the rest is just gravy.

What would be doing to make us hit the right lights? I don't think that it would be a combination of spells, I was thinking, would it be a combination of skillchains? or something elemental....

I hope that this doesn't look liek im trying to ask the same question twice, I just want a good idea of the layout, b.c I really want to try to do this, b.c if me and the red can do this, and the 2 other jobs just say i.e heal or stun, then we have this in the bag, and we can wash, rinse , repeat for each zone, on perhaps all murex types mobs.. and we can score all what we need, and go on amongst our daily jobs, in game, and out!

LOL

What Im asking is this: Are we skillchaining alot to get these chests to pop, meaning blue and gold? and how many minutes are we talking to get them to pop?

P.S I know it sounds like I'm asking alot..
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 03:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone else seen rollover of lights occur? After a certain period of time/# mobs, we'll get a crap blue chest tor two. Killing a glowy or two puts it back to normal for another time period.

Also, anyone seen a difference in strength based off of limule/murex/amoeba?
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 04:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Blu & Drk or

Blu & Summ or

Blu & Thf or

Blu & Red or

Blu & Nin

What would be doing to make us hit the right lights? I don't think that it would be a combination of spells, I was thinking, would it be a combination of skillchains? or something elemental....

I hope that this doesn't look liek im trying to ask the same question twice, I just want a good idea of the layout, b.c I really want to try to do this, b.c if me and the red can do this, and the 2 other jobs just say i.e heal or stun, then we have this in the bag, and we can wash, rinse , repeat for each zone, on perhaps all murex types mobs.. and we can score all what we need, and go on amongst our daily jobs, in game, and out!

LOL

What Im asking is this: Are we skillchaining alot to get these chests to pop, meaning blue and gold? and how many minutes are we talking to get them to pop?

In order to get chests, you need lights (for potency and drop rate), and kills (chances to get chests).

To increase the potency of chests, you must get lights(colored).
To increase the drop rate of chests, you must get lights(pearl, colored).
To increase the number of chests once you have done these things, you need to kill quicker.

Typically 3-man, assuming we can find glowy mobs, we usually see a TE within the first 30min.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-14 04:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:

LOL

Doesn't sound like you're asking a lot, it sounds like you're lazy and haven't researched basic Abyssea mechanics. Here, I'll be lazy too:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Abyssea_Lights