New Storage Features...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New Storage Features...
New Storage Features...
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-11-09 16:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Will be that Shami can now hold Kindred Crests!
[+]
 Valefor.Gespenst
Server: Valefor
user: Gespenst
By Valefor.Gespenst 2010-11-09 17:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You're probably right. lol
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Server: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2010-11-09 17:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish they'd let NPCs hold sky and limbus gear. Lots of space that would open up. Hopefully they let you store af3 gear as well once the whole set is out.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-11-09 18:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope the 'new storage feature' is a new code word for more inventory space.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-09 18:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyzul isle storage!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-09 18:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
I hope the 'new storage feature' is a new code word for more inventory space.

This x100

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Ciecle
user: Ciecle
By Cerberus.Ciecle 2010-11-09 18:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You basically said you want SE to break PS2 Limitations and make armor storage NPCs useful by allowing armor to be stored by the piece and not by the set lol
By Cybermario 2010-11-09 19:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

more storable stuff is always good, but yeah i bet they will kill my dreams of having over 80 items in storage/moglocker/safe
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-11-10 11:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

surprise!! your npc-fellow can now hold the same amount of items as you can. have fun...
this new option is only available for players who seemed themselves worthy of their fellow-npc-friend. A Specific Questline must be completed for this feature to be unlocked.
~SE
 Bismarck.Sutekii
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sutekii 2010-11-10 12:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cybermario said:
more storable stuff is always good, but yeah i bet they will kill my dreams of having over 80 items in storage/moglocker/safe

I remember an age-old mention that its "impossible" for a single inventory unit to hold more than 80 items because of the PS2's limitations.

iunno if they're still stickin' to this story or not.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-11-10 12:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sutekii said:
Cybermario said:

I remember an age-old mention that its "impossible" for a single inventory unit to hold more than 80 items because of the PS2's limitations.

That is *** and we all know it. You've seen the list of temporary items stacked on top of your "80 max inventory". This 80 inventory max PS2 limitation is just an excuse for not wanting to do it. They can easily expand it and haven't. If it really is true they cant do 160/160 then they can stack two separate 80/80's on top of each other.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-11-10 12:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

screw the PS2 limitations...they should just add in all those new PS2 breaking features and say "If you play on PS2 you don't get them, sorry :("
[+]
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-11-10 12:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I still stand by my judgement that they should have just dropped PS2 support and instead of releasing FFXIV, make a revamp of FFXI on disk, sticker new game price, special edition featuring security token and updating the game to support PS3 and XBOX 360 consoles.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-11-10 12:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Remoraforever said:
I still stand by my judgement that they should have just dropped PS2 support and instead of releasing FFXIV, make a revamp of FFXI on disk, sticker new game price, special edition featuring security token and updating the game to support PS3 and XBOX 360 consoles.

I agree they could totally milk this game for years to come :P Not like killing PS2 support would make them lose a huge chunk of player base. Most people I'd think have a pc that can handle this game nowadays 360 or a PS3.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-11-10 13:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Remoraforever said:

I could see them getting sued if they did drop support, as I'm sure it breaches the law in many countries.

Wouldn't mind if they did, I much prefer this game to XIV.
 Bismarck.Sutekii
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sutekii 2010-11-10 13:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Bismarck.Sutekii said:
Cybermario said:

That is *** and we all know it. You've seen the list of temporary items stacked on top of your "80 max inventory". This 80 inventory max PS2 limitation is just an excuse for not wanting to do it. They can easily expand it and haven't. If it really is true they cant do 160/160 then they can stack two separate 80/80's on top of each other.

Exactly lol. From a programming standpoint, I can't see for the life of me how the structure of their remote database could somehow break the PS2 in this context. Even if it was something like...iunno say memory limitations imposed on the display window for inventory, they could get by this by making inventory pages(wish I knew more about how PS2 games were programmed).

All in all I think the truth of it is: Its impossible for SE to add more than 80 inventory slots to a single inventory unit without spending more than 20 minutes doing it.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-11-10 13:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said:
surprise!! your npc-fellow can now hold the same amount of items as you can. have fun...
this new option is only available for players who seemed themselves worthy of their fellow-npc-friend. A Specific Questline must be completed for this feature to be unlocked.
~SE
I know I might sound ridiculous saying this, but I honestly wouldn't mind this. The Fellow quests were my favourite quests, and I've always been disappointed that there's nothing more I can do with Sahyu. And hell, if the end reward of the new quest line meant +80 storage space, that's just chocolate fudge icing on the McCain Deep n'Delicious cake.
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-11-10 16:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Storable armor by the piece instead of by the set wouldn't really require that much additional client memory or be subjected to client side limitation (read: PS2 limitation), if the UI is kept simple.

Not that there's no cost; the key item display for the claim slips would need to be procedurally generated: "Valor: Head, Body", where the 'Head' and 'Body' would have to be filled in after querying the server or wait for server to push the info.

One possible issue would be that removing items one by one--from the experience with the /deliverybox, it's already annoying for just a few items all all the delay waiting for server to check that we're not duping or trying to hold multiple copies of the same rare item.

The bigger risk, though, is changing the NPC storage architecture (Data structure? Schema?)--I bet the devs are loathe to touch that, for the fear of data loss and other problems.

What I gathered is that from some of the interviews is that there are still some amount of memory left on PS2, just not very much.

So, the fight is whether to give in to the users' complaints and use it for inventory/satchel, or reserve it for future game features. I'd be very surprised if there isn't/wasn't an internal debate on whether to grant users more accessible inventory space or find ways to reduce the number of inventory slots needed by the average player (by introducing more/better NPC storage, new gear to take places of multiple old gear, new game features, etc.).

With Satchel and Gobbie Bag 9 and 10 added relatively recently, I'd say SE would probably rather hang on to the last bit of free space for different/future game features.

Not sure if there's anything particular magical about '80'; it seems like the forum posters are more fixated on this number than SE is.

Those who play on PS2 are probably some of the longest playing users--and hence the most loyal. Even if they make up just 5% of the total user base, I can't see a good business plan that involves dissing them.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-10 16:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Storable armor by the piece instead of by the set wouldn't really require that much additional client memory or be subjected to client side limitation (read: PS2 limitation), if the UI is kept simple.

Not that there's no cost; the key item display for the claim slips would need to be procedurally generated: "Valor: Head, Body", where the 'Head' and 'Body' would have to be filled in after querying the server or wait for server to push the info.

One possible issue would be that removing items one by one--from the experience with the /deliverybox, it's already annoying for just a few items all all the delay waiting for server to check that we're not duping or trying to hold multiple copies of the same rare item.

The bigger risk, though, is changing the NPC storage architecture (Data structure? Schema?)--I bet the devs are loathe to touch that, for the fear of data loss and other problems.

What I gathered is that from some of the interviews is that there are still some amount of memory left on PS2, just not very much.

So, the fight is whether to give in to the users' complaints and use it for inventory/satchel, or reserve it for future game features. I'd be very surprised if there isn't/wasn't an internal debate on whether to grant users more accessible inventory space or find ways to reduce the number of inventory slots needed by the average player (by introducing more/better NPC storage, new gear to take places of multiple old gear, new game features, etc.).

With Satchel and Gobbie Bag 9 and 10 added relatively recently, I'd say SE would probably rather hang on to the last bit of free space for different/future game features.

Not sure if there's anything particular magical about '80'; it seems like the forum posters are more fixated on this number than SE is.

Those who play on PS2 are probably some of the longest playing users--and hence the most loyal. Even if they make up just 5% of the total user base, I can't see a good business plan that involves dissing them.

Does anyone's fat PS2s seriously still work? Its only a matter of time before they all burn out or the HDDs fail lol.
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-11-10 19:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Does anyone's fat PS2s seriously still work? Its only a matter of time before they all burn out or the HDDs fail lol.

Yes, actually; my sister is playing FFXI on a PS2 as I type this.

Post deleted by User.