Forum » FFXI » General » Can't stop moving
Can't stop moving
 Phoenix.Shiomi
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2010-10-23 01:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Every once in a while I'll do something on my screen that will make me run around without being able to stop running. I'm using windower so I'm sure that's what's doing it. Anyone know what I'm talking about and maybe know how to fix it? Can't shutdown right now cause dont have Token with me. :(
 Alexander.Ariaum
Server: Alexander
user: Ariaum
By Alexander.Ariaum 2010-10-23 02:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just going to guess here. You use a controller and mouse off the screen, causing the mouse to move your toon.
[+]
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-10-23 02:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ariaum said:
Just going to guess here. You use a controller and mouse off the screen, causing the mouse to move your toon.

Yup, I'm going to have to agree with Ariaum here, you're going to need to go to the WINDOWER (GUI) and disable manual mouse or whatever that option is. I had the same problem since I don't use Mouse I just use keyboard. The problem also could be if you have other programs running that have pop-ups, stuff like when Yahoo I.M. crashes then restarts itself will knock windower as being a sub-task rather than primary so it makes input a bit more difficult.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-23 02:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had it happen even with screen edge panning off, which usually resulted in me removing the relevant key from my keyboard as I recall. Can't remember if that worked or if I had to do something else though.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2010-10-23 02:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, I have no controller and it's not my mouse. It stopped working but idk why. -.-
 Alexander.Ariaum
user: Ariaum
By Alexander.Ariaum 2010-10-23 02:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea then. I used to have it happen to me all the time. When I would mouse off the screen, mostly it would just spin the camera but time to time I'd just run circles. Would need more info on what you where doing when it happened. Only other thing I could come up with is some kinda toggle on the movement or just it glitch-ed.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-23 02:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever this happens to me.. its usually because of my mouse.. and the only way i can get it to stop is to minimize the game window click outside then go back to full screen.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-23 04:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way I'm ever able to stop it (which doesn't help you at all) is kill the game completely and restart it. Logging to the menu screen and logging back in only causes the same problem. Also for me if I heal when it's doing this I usually get perma stuck in /heal. Almost MPK'd my Limbus group doing this once, and almost ran into Bomb Clusters the other time.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2010-10-23 04:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I used to kill the game but what Flunk said worked. Yeah, /heal will stick you but doing /heal again by typing it unticks ya.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-23 04:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Shiomi said:
Well I used to kill the game but what Flunk said worked. Yeah, /heal will stick you but doing /heal again by typing it unticks ya.

Nice~ Grats. Didn't know typing it worked, I just kept hitting 'h' and nothing. D:
 Fenrir.Mariane
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-10-23 11:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have an smaller window on front of FFXI window (don't matter if it's SE window mode or windower) and you click to minimize or click within the game window to change focus to FFXI, that odd behavior usually kicks in. It's due to the fact that once the focus is back to FFXI, the game pad does not work for a second, but the mouse and keyboard work instantly.
The game then picks the mouse button still pressed from the previous application (as you didn't release the mouse button yet) and locks on auto run mode.

Quick fix is just click both left and right buttons on the mouse twice.

The character will then stop walking.

Edit: To prevent that from happening, refrain from clicking within the game active area and instead click the title bar or the game button on the task bar.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-10-23 11:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever I start running around I need to right click my mouse on the screen to stop.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-23 11:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I just alt-tab to something else and come back to fix it.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-10-23 11:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit your INSERT KEY to open up your console, then click off your ffxi screen (meaning click outside of FFXI, desktop other window etc.) Then click back on ffxi , hit insert again. That should solve the issue.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-10-23 12:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you using an optical mouse on a reflective or shiny surface?
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-23 12:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I used to have a problem where I kept running in a straight line too, though it's pretty unrelated: Turns out my PS2 controller was getting a little old, so the left joystick kept getting stuck in the forward position.

But I've never had the problem the OP has had when I've played on the PC version. I'm glad you guys are troubleshooting 'cause it might help me (and other people) out in the future.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-10-23 12:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using the numpad to run, accidentally hitting numlock while holding down a directional button will cause your running to lock. If you can't stop running left, for example, holding down 4 on your numpad and pressing numlock will release it.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2010-10-23 13:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Another cause may be an anomalie from running two instances of windowed PoL at the same time. It happens from time to time on my pc when I load up my UJ mule he will run indefinately. I just exit out of that PoL and restart it.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-10-23 13:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't stop moving?

[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-10-23 13:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Snoochybooch said:
Another cause may be an anomalie from running two instances of windowed PoL at the same time. It happens from time to time on my pc when I load up my UJ mule he will run indefinately. I just exit out of that PoL and restart it.

Hmmm never had that problem before.
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2010-10-23 14:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

it could be one the keys on your keyboard is stickin. like my 4 key on numpad sticks from time to time and i run in lefthanded circles. try taping your movement keys see if that fix's it
 Leviathan.Powerslave
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2010-10-23 14:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought for a second it was going to be a thread about an uncontrollable dancing syndrome, disappointment :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-10-23 14:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just try what I posted above, you do not have to exit POL. Windower just glitches up sometimes with the direct input features. I'm sure the poster would have mentioned his keys are jamming and that would have been obvious.
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-24 19:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had a similar issue. Don't think it's Windower related, since the same thing happened in FFXIV. Pretty sure it's not mouse related, as it has happened when I haven't been anywhere near the mouse; just typing stuff and all of a sudden the character starts running.

Likewise, while running, I can still use the keypad to change direction; every single key works, it's just that it's fighting against some other outside input. EG: if I'm running foward (as if holding the 8 key), if I hold the 2 key to go backwards I'll end up at a standstill, unable to move either direction. None of the keys stick, from what I can tell. No keyboard input that I've tried has seemed to help.

Attempts to use the mouse for move control don't counter the problem either (ie: hold right mouse button and drag within window). It's still fighting against the phantom input. I haven't tried the /heal trick, but occasionally random left clicks in the window seem to reset things and clear up the problem.
 Fenrir.Mariane
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-10-24 19:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with FFXIV is a bit different than the problem with FFXI. In fact when you try to open certain dialogs which require data from the server, the FFXIV client temporarily ignores input from keyboard/mouse/joystick so if the camera is spinning it will keep spinning, char will keep running or any other motion will keep going on until control is resumed. That's IMHO poor coding on their part.