AF Quests Dead? (Lv 50 Quests)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » AF quests dead? (Lv 50 quests)
AF quests dead? (Lv 50 quests)
By matt 2010-10-19 17:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So, if someone doesnt have some of the af that is good are they gimped? Even with the new gear?

A good example would be rdm af body. There are other bodies that give at least 5 magic acc that would make up for it and stats.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-10-19 17:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Most AF is macro pieces for JAs and such, the rest is garbage
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-10-19 18:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

AF/Relic has always been used as mainly macro/idle gears so yes,
if you neglect certain pieces you will be considered gimp.
SAM head is a great example of this.
The quests aren't hard and don't take long especially since the chest/coffer update.
Oh and... its another <someshit> is dead? thread, yay.
 Leviathan.Fosco
Server: Leviathan
user: Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2010-10-19 18:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Any SMN who doesn't have the AF legs is missing out on an unparalleled avatar accuracy bonus.

The only other piece of that set that was remotely useful was the head for the SMN skill for those of us who are too cheap/don't have enough time to get the Marduk's Tiara. The Empyrean head, however, has effectively replaced that use.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-10-19 18:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG AF legs/+1 are the best leg piece for HB, and the head is the most important piece of any HB set, feet are still good if your wyvern is getting raped by AoEs/you 2hr'd because without your wyvern spirit/soul jump are worthless.

hmm, some i use head legs and feet of whm af since im still low level whm so its useful for that at least, and legs are good for a divine skill set

and imo, each piece of sch af is really useful in some way, its one of the best AF1 sets in the game based on usefulness.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 18:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For most jobs only 1 or maybe 2 peices are worth it anyway.

And some peices that are worth it and I still didn't care about, like Drg Feet and Sam head they both are good but still not worth my time an effort to do the quest.

For my 7 jobs.

DRK: 5/5 stored it was my first job
WHM: 5/5 Stored it was my 2nd job and I still thought I needed it.
RDM: 5/5 not all are needed but probably one of the best full sets of AF.
WAR: 0/5
SAM: 0/5
BLM: 4/5 Body, hands, legs, Head all decent but prolly not as much now.
DRG: 2/5 Head only. Edit have legs too.

Inventory space is to limited to do the whole 5/5 now..well that and most of the gear is terrible.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-19 18:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
The legs are decent if you're leveling as you get the AF, and the head is a good piece to have as well.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 18:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
The legs are decent if you're leveling as you get the AF, and the head is a good piece to have as well.
Ehh but I coudn't be bother with it..if I was off running around the country side getting stuff done..who would watch my moogle spin!?
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-10-19 19:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

They're definately not dead. Many of them are still useful macro pieces.

The lack of low lvl normal exp parties would only remove the usefulness of a few pieces. Most melee jobs never used AF1 in there tp macro or WS macro anyway.

But even still just because u can now jump from 30-85 in one afternoon of opening boxes doesnt mean u should. I don't get this idea that lvling to 85 is some sort of burden or grind. I can understand an old player whose just burnt out on lvling taking the easy way out. Or someone feeling pressure from a shell to get a particular job option open quickly. But for just a normal player i think burning a job up in a day is a bad thing. You miss out on a lot. A lot of fun. A lot of new friends. A lot of player knowledge. Plus after countless hours of leveling a job you really learn the ins and outs of the job and it ends up making u a better player over all. Openin boxes for a few hours aint fun, it wont make u any friends, u wont be a more knowledgable player for it, and u def wont lern the ins and outs of ur job.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-19 19:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking about this the other night, actually...

Especially if you're keywhoring for an Abyssea party, it's not impossible to simply go all the way through Lv.50 to Lv.60 without even being able to get your AF in the process, but is it worthless? Well, most jobs have at least one piece that's really worth getting, and if you're going to get that one piece you might as well spend a little bit of time (seriously at Lv.85~99, there doesn't exist a single piece of AF that can't be soloed easily) to get the whole set so you can store it.

I can't speak for all jobs, but I know that of my three main jobs...

Blue Mage: The body is amazing even at Lv.85 for any Blue Magic you cast, especially with some self-skillchains in there. Both the body and the hands are useful for learning Blue Magic.

Thief: You get a little bit of "Steal"+ on every piece but the body, so it can't hurt to get it. Plus, the feet give you +50% duration to Flee, and it's really noticeable.

Red Mage: Legs are great for spells like Stoneskin and Phalanx, Body is great to enfeeble in, and the Head is great to nuke in or use in a buffing cycle-- the Fast Cast is nice.

Of course, a lot of this is being slowly replaced by your Empyrean armor, but it's not all going to be worthless, and it's great to have before you can actually get your Empyrean armor.
By matt 2010-10-19 22:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Gotterdammerung said:
But even still just because u can now jump from 30-85 in one afternoon of opening boxes doesnt mean u should. I don't get this idea that lvling to 85 is some sort of burden or grind. I can understand an old player whose just burnt out on lvling taking the easy way out. Or someone feeling pressure from a shell to get a particular job option open quickly. But for just a normal player i think burning a job up in a day is a bad thing. You miss out on a lot. A lot of fun. A lot of new friends. A lot of player knowledge. Plus after countless hours of leveling a job you really learn the ins and outs of the job and it ends up making u a better player over all. Openin boxes for a few hours aint fun, it wont make u any friends, u wont be a more knowledgable player for it, and u def wont lern the ins and outs of ur job.

I guess abyssea is no better than smn burning. Spent 4-8 hours getting af or 3-5 to totally skip it and all other pieces of gear. Besides if its just a macro piece who is going to notice if you change it quickly lol.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-19 23:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

DNC is still worth it.

Head: Good for samba until af3+2
body: great waltz macro
Hands: great step macro
Feet: nice jig macro
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-19 23:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

matt said:
So, if someone doesnt have some of the af that is good are they gimped? Even with the new gear?
Yes.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, leveling past it and then having to go quest it 60+ is fine. I didn't start my RDM AF til I was 66, seeing as I went from below 50 to 66 in one party. But there's no excuse to not have such easily attainable gear within a fairly short time, and skipping it altogether is just plain gimp.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2010-10-20 08:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fosco said:
Any SMN who doesn't have the AF legs is missing out on an unparalleled avatar accuracy bonus.

The only other piece of that set that was remotely useful was the head for the SMN skill for those of us who are too cheap/don't have enough time to get the Marduk's Tiara. The Empyrean head, however, has effectively replaced that use.

Though they aren't as significant now with the Empyrean feet out, the +1 Evoker's Pigaches were the best for -perpetuation cost, and still are good to have until you have at least the +1 Caller's Pigaches.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-10-20 15:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

matt said:
Since it is possible to level from 30-85 in a few days, is there a point to doing the old af1 quests?

Nope.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 15:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
matt said:
Since it is possible to level from 30-85 in a few days, is there a point to doing the old af1 quests?
Nope.
For some of the gear yes..for all of the gear i would agree.

For most of the sets there is at least 1 peice of gear that is worth doing the quest.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 15:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Then I shall be gimp for not having Sam AF1 hat lol..

And I am ok with that.
 Bahamut.Megrim
user: Megrim
By Bahamut.Megrim 2010-10-20 16:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

only AF completely worthless imo is WAR AF its all crappy not one is note worthy
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-20 16:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

And I am ok with that.

Do need!
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 16:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehh..but it's so much work to get.

I get bored of sam tbh I haven't even lvl'd it to 85 yet.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-10-20 17:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

And I am ok with that.
very gimp missing that extra 20~40 tp per meditate lol
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 17:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Krazyrs said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Then I shall be gimp for not having Sam AF1 hat lol.. And I am ok with that.
I said I was ok with it..pfft imma Samurai I don't need TP.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-10-20 17:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Fenrir.Krazyrs said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

>.> people like this frustrate me
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-10-20 17:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK AF1 pieces still worth getting. guess that clears the way for more inventory space for mnks.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 17:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Fenrir.Krazyrs said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
>.> people like this frustrate me
Me too.

Seriously if it were anyone else this would drive me crazy..Refusing to get decent to good gear just because a person is lazy. And I can justify it in a lot of ways. Sam is just my play around job, I don't do events on sam I really only used it for Campaign..I didnt even use Sam for merits, or xp..

But all that aside..20~40 xtra tp always helps so /shame on me.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]