POL Crashing On Startup In Windows7 64-bit

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » POL crashing on startup in Windows7 64-bit
POL crashing on startup in Windows7 64-bit
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 11:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I've browsed through these forums a bit looking for a solution to this but everything I'm trying isn't having a different effect. I've downloaded the patch on the website and try to load and crash on startup. I've got it set to run as admin and crash on startup. I've got it set to xp compatability and try to run and crash at startup.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm running out of ideas here now and it's stressing me out. Can't play my favorite game :(
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-14 11:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Is your problem with windower or POL itself?

If it's POL itself then you probably installed the Vista/7 POL after FFXI.
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 12:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

POL itself, I get the splash screen and as soon as POL goes into a window it crashes. I installed the patch first then ffxi then the patch again, tried different combinations and nothing :/
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-14 12:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you completely disable the UAC as part of the running as administrator?

Also, make sure your Program Files\PlayOnline folder isn't set to read only or that the permissions to it are locked down. I've read about some users having that problem.
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 18:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, that UFC bs is off completely and am using "run as admin"
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-14 18:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

try downloading the vista/windows 7 compatible POL client at www.playonline.com
[+]
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 18:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

that's the one I'm using.
 Shiva.Collardgreen
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Collardgreen 2010-10-14 18:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just as a temp fix use virtual pc from Microsoft, it is a free download.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-14 18:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Moldtech said:
Yup, that UFC bs is off completely and am using "run as admin"
What about the folder being read only? Did you check that out?
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, I forgot that and had high hopes when I clicked properties and it was on "read only". Unclicked it and tried to run it and same thing ; ; Something I notice though, I have a programs and programs (x86) folder, it's in the programs (x86) folder by default, is that right?
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, damn thing is switching back to read only after I apply it as not and close the properties window.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-10-14 19:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The x86 folder is for programs that aren't specifically designed to run on x64, it's normal, and POL should by default have stuck itself in the x86 folder.

Did you have POL installed already, before you got the Vista/7 version installer? Because you have to uninstall it completely before you can put the updated version on (Just POL, not FFXI as a whole.)
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, this is a builders version not upgrade version of Windows7, OS was fully installed before downloading the "patched" POL. I've since uninstalled the POL and FFXI and reinstalled in different sequences and nothing changes. I sent SE an email asking of advice, got a reply of:

Unfortunately the SQUARE ENIX Support Center cannot assist with this issue via email. Please contact us during our normal business hours via our website http://support.na.square-enix.com

Thier killing me -.- "can't help via email but during business hour come back to the site and send us an email"?
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

OH! Last night I actually had the POL up and working once and it updated, hasn't worked since that update though. That's when I started unistalling it and reinstalling it trying to revert it back to before the update and it's the same as it was after the update.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-10-14 19:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant POL not the OS >.>
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-14 19:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Moldtech said:
OH! Last night I actually had the POL up and working once and it updated, hasn't worked since that update though. That's when I started unistalling it and reinstalling it trying to revert it back to before the update and it's the same as it was after the update.
Will it get far enough for you to do a file check from the very first POL screen?
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

OH, naw, I knew of the patch already and to go and get it. It did update once from the patch after that nothing. UGH! driving me crazy, think I'm going to reformat this damn thing and make POL and FFXI my first installation lol, see if that helps >:D
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 19:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

No, soon as it goes from the splash screen to a window it stops responding
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-14 23:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

AH HA! Reinstalled windows and the patch works, POL running and updating, must be a driver issue hmm.

Maybe video card but I don't know, it isn't on thier list, I got 2x XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards crossfired.
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-10-15 09:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Welp, found out the exact cause of my error, it was the updated driver for my video card I got from the AMD site. I saved the video card driver update for last and POL was working until I downloaded this latest thing for my ATI card:

Full Catalyst Software Suite (Recommended)
Title File Size Version Date Posted Download
Catalyst Software Suite (64 bit) English Only 74.8 MB 10.9 9/15/2010
Package Includes:
Display Driver
ATI Integrated Driver
Catalyst Control Center
(English Language Only)
For the 64 bit version of Windows Vista and Windows 7

POL stopped responding immediately after installation so I rolled back the driver and POL took off again like nothing happened. Windows had the driver as 8.771 and the working driver is 8.762.

All is well now, time to go kill something >:D
[+]
 Phoenix.Clarrissa
Server: Phoenix
user: Clarrissa
By Phoenix.Clarrissa 2010-10-19 18:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Was having the same problem ... Have a pair of HD 4870s myself, and just installed the 10.9 driver last night. This morning when I tried to run POL it just crashed after the splash screen.

Rolling back the driver fixed it for me as well; never would have thought of it if I hadn't seen this post, so thanks!
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2010-11-09 19:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

wonder if there is any good way to fix this...
i was getting the same thing you where. trying to get FFXI to run but POL wouldnt start up at all. would crash soon as the window opened.

so i reinstalled the ATI 10.10 virson of the driver and catalyst manager. still same thing was heppening. then i figured i'd try to give it a shot with Crossfirex turned off...

I too was running Sapphire 1G GDDR5 HD 5770 x2 in Crossfire mode.

Turned off Crossfire mode with that same driver. 10.10 and it started up like a charm.

weird thing also is that. well you cant start up the POL with crossfirex enebled, but when its open and running. open your catalyst manager and enable crossfirex. POL still works just fine.

just gonna be really annoying having to turn Crossfire off, then back on each time I try and play FFXI.

/sigh

If anyone has any ideas how to work this out. plz tip me. Thanks!