FFXIclopedia Screwed?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXIclopedia screwed?
FFXIclopedia screwed?
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-12 18:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else's FFXIclopedia a little different than normal?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-12 18:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, they got haxed again
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-10-12 18:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It looked slightly different to me, earlier, but not exactly broken.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-12 18:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

By a little different, do you mean the layout is *** up right now?

'Cuz yes.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-12 18:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Yes, they got haxed again
Err they did? So is it dangerous to browse stuff there?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-12 18:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, layout is messed up.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-12 18:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah was just a joke, idk what is wrong. I've seen it happen before, prolly just some glitch.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-10-12 18:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

this is the worst ive seen it. usually when it borks the side menu doesnt work and you have to manually erase the stuff in the search box
 Lakshmi.Icari
Server: Lakshmi
user: Icari
By Lakshmi.Icari 2010-10-12 20:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

wikia is "upgrading" the theme it is no hack.
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-14 20:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

First, it's an official change: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/The_new_look

Second, as you'll see from the timeline given, as of November 3 the new format look will be mandated, and the old skin (Monaco) will be completely removed.

Third, the Wikia staff (the corporation that owns Wikia, not the FFXI wiki folk) have set up policies to make it against TOS to make any changes to the basic layout. Wikis can change colors and background images, but that's it (though Wikia staff loves to tout the enhanced 'creativity' options available to site owners).

Fourth, there's been a massive protest over these changes by just about every user who's posted amongst the official blogs. There are a number of other negative/annoying changes, but the most visible is the fixed-width format. The fixed width is 1000px, where 320px is dedicated to the sidebar for ads and stuff, leaving 680px (or less) for actual content (an absolute joke for something like the FFXI wiki). The Wikia staff have made plenty of buzzword-filled fluff messages, but have constantly skated around answering any of the difficult questions.

As a result, a large number of wikis are currently exploring options to leave Wikia (though any indications that they are doing so on their actual wiki pages causes those notices to be removed and the admins demoted/banned). There has been no vocalization at present that I know of for the FFXI wiki to move. It's a shame that BGWiki never really got much traction, as if it had it would be fairly simple to make a full switch without breaking stride. As it is, it will take some time to bring it up to the full breadth of information that the Wikia wiki has, and there is no way to directly redirect users to a different wiki since Wikia would suppress any such notices.

The only alternative at present is make user-side adjustments to the layout widely available for people to use. For example, I've constructed several user CSS files using Stylish for Firefox.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-14 20:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Did this get changed back or something? I see absolutely no difference with the site. I did a hard refresh and visited pages I hadn't been to before.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-10-14 20:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

there was a discussion about it on the wiki forums, someone from wikia made a post about it, with tahn entertainingly giving them a piece of mind.
here it is
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-14 20:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@Krizz -- At present you need to set a profile option to see the new look, under Skins. There was also a notification sent out a few days ago that took you to a page that had a button you could push to change your prefs.
By Elwynbelwyn 2010-10-16 15:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, fixed width is SO stupid. Because everybody uses the same fonts at the same size and uses Windows and zooms their window to full screen. (Except if they do that, fixed width makes it too narrow!)

If I try to zoom the page (not the window) in Seamonkey (and presumably in Firefox too), the whole page expands with it. As things are now today, I can see text in a larger size with it still fitting in the window. And I often do.

And a floating toolbar for "popular" features (aka hipster social network crap?) Floating anything is pretty annoying, but I will admit that it's less annoying than many other floating toolbars I've encountered.

But geez, if a non-fixed-width layout is good enough for Wikipedia...
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-16 15:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Irohuro said:
there was a discussion about it on the wiki forums, someone from wikia made a post about it, with tahn entertainingly giving them a piece of mind.
here it is

Good old Tahn, I did Dyna with the ***
By Elwynbelwyn 2010-10-16 15:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... well if they're only getting rid of Monaco and not Monobook, I think can live with it. Monobook doesn't seem to be fixed width. I never used those javashit pop-out menus, and they're more of a pain than they're worth.

But I will miss that live search function where I can just type the first few letters and find what I need on the popup.
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-16 18:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Monobook is workable, though I'm still spending a lot of time tweaking a few user-styles for Oasis so that I'll have something to share when it becomes required.

Talking to Wikia's staff feels a bit like talking to SE. "Yes, we're giving very serious consideration to all your suggestions and feedback." /toss in trash bin/ "We look forward to seeing the creativity you can bring to the new site look!"
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [80 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Dipset 2011-01-07 07:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Un-official, very helpful "new" wiki - http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Main_Page
 Diabolos.Ariane
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Ariane 2011-01-07 07:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dipset said:
Un-official, very helpful "new" wiki - http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Main_Page

Because FFXIclopedia is "official" right. And hasn't bg had a wiki for a long time now?
 Cerberus.Weegie
user: Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2011-01-07 09:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If only the "new wiki" had as much into as the "old wiki" I might be tempted to swap. However, I constantly run into huge holes in the BG wiki, where I rarely do on FFXIclopedia site unless the content is very new.