I Made Some Homeade French Fries!!!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » I made some homeade French fries!!!
I made some homeade French fries!!!
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2010-10-01 03:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg they were so good the grease and the crispy goodness made me happy. Its the simple things in life just figured it was important enough to make a post about. What did you do tonight to make you happy!??? nomnomnomnom
 Titan.Xairu
Server: Titan
user: Xairu
By Titan.Xairu 2010-10-01 03:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Soak them in salt water for about 20 minutes before you fry them ;) It's mainly a trick to get a good crust on potatoes when you roast them, but I find it just adds a better salt flavor to them without actually dumping a pound on top after they're done.

Also~ my better half gets home any minute now, and that's what I'll be doing tonight!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 03:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Also what works good is using a finer salt. Like what Mcdonalds has.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2010-10-01 03:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

wow good idea ill do that next time i usually just cut and drop didnt think of that thanks
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-10-01 03:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Xairu said:
Soak them in salt water for about 20 minutes before you fry them ;) It's mainly a trick to get a good crust on potatoes when you roast them, but I find it just adds a better salt flavor to them without actually dumping a pound on top after they're done.

Also~ my better half gets home any minute now, and that's what I'll be doing tonight!
Pretty much this tip :Q Or if you can get beef-dripping to fry in, try that. Beef makes everything awesome D:
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 03:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:

Pretty much this tip :Q Or if you can get beef-dripping to fry in, try that. Beef makes everything awesome D:
I will agree with beef being pretty awesome.

But you know what is the best at frying things with? Old bacon grease. My step mom pretty much cooks breakfast with bacon every weekend and would store it and fry everything with it. Yums
 Titan.Xairu
By Titan.Xairu 2010-10-01 05:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
Soak them in salt water for about 20 minutes before you fry them ;) It's mainly a trick to get a good crust on potatoes when you roast them, but I find it just adds a better salt flavor to them without actually dumping a pound on top after they're done. Also~ my better half gets home any minute now, and that's what I'll be doing tonight!
I will agree with beef being pretty awesome. But you know what is the best at frying things with? Old bacon grease. My step mom pretty much cooks breakfast with bacon every weekend and would store it and fry everything with it. Yums
That makes me want to make fresh bacon to break up in a bowl of melted cheese and pour over said bacon grease fried french fries.. ..now we have to go to the market.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 05:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Xairu said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
Soak them in salt water for about 20 minutes before you fry them ;) It's mainly a trick to get a good crust on potatoes when you roast them, but I find it just adds a better salt flavor to them without actually dumping a pound on top after they're done. Also~ my better half gets home any minute now, and that's what I'll be doing tonight!
I will agree with beef being pretty awesome. But you know what is the best at frying things with? Old bacon grease. My step mom pretty much cooks breakfast with bacon every weekend and would store it and fry everything with it. Yums
That makes me want to make fresh bacon to break up in a bowl of melted cheese and pour over said bacon grease fried french fries.. ..now we have to go to the market.
Sounds awesome. Makes me wish I had deep fat fryer and a better griddle
 Leviathan.Arthion
Server: Leviathan
user: Arthion
By Leviathan.Arthion 2010-10-01 05:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Make poutine.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 06:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
Are you serious or mocking what mcdonalds does? lol
Not really sure I'd call what McD uses as beef.

Also they tend to use and reuse and reuse it. And I doubt they strain it in any way to clean it out... gross

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Titan.Xairu
By Titan.Xairu 2010-10-01 06:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
I've never heard of someone frying french fries in "drippings" in their home, it sounds pretty gross. But this thread seemed to find it acceptable lol american thing maybe? All I'd consider is clean bought oils

Nah it's not cooking them only in the bacon grease, it's just adding a bit for flavor.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 06:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
Not really sure I'd call what McD uses as beef. Also they tend to use and reuse and reuse it. And I doubt they strain it in any way to clean it out... gross
I've never heard of someone frying french fries in "drippings" in their home, it sounds pretty gross. But this thread seemed to find it acceptable lol american thing maybe? All I'd consider is clean bought oils
You need to strain all the gunk out. So you are really just getting the grease. Basically like other non vegatable oils/greases and such.

Also side note: I had a co-worker that converted his car to run on old grease like that. McDs would actually pay him to take it off there hands. Has a huge tank on the back of his pick up that will run for a couple thousand of miles

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Blaire
Server: Siren
user: 1000stars
By Siren.Blaire 2010-10-01 06:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You can run a car on normal vegetable oil too. Its been done many times.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 06:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
Not really sure I'd call what McD uses as beef. Also they tend to use and reuse and reuse it. And I doubt they strain it in any way to clean it out... gross
You need to strain all the gunk out. So you are really just getting the grease. Basically like other non vegatable oils/greases and such. Also side note: I had a co-worker that converted his car to run on old grease like that. McDs would actually pay him to take it off there hands. Has a huge tank on the back of his pick up that will run for a couple thousand of miles
I find that very hard to believe lol will google it later
I saw it. He even got people to help him clean it out cause it got really gunking.

Of course one of the major flaws is it hardens in most outside temperatures. So he had to have it run on diesel too so he could warm it up and recirc it a bit. Think he said it was like an hour long process lol
 Titan.Xairu
By Titan.Xairu 2010-10-01 06:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Titan.Xairu said:
You need to strain all the gunk out. So you are really just getting the grease. Basically like other non vegatable oils/greases and such. Also side note: I had a co-worker that converted his car to run on old grease like that. McDs would actually pay him to take it off there hands. Has a huge tank on the back of his pick up that will run for a couple thousand of miles
I find that very hard to believe lol will google it later
I saw it. He even got people to help him clean it out cause it got really gunking. Of course one of the major flaws is it hardens in most outside temperatures. So he had to have it run on diesel too so he could warm it up and recirc it a bit. Think he said it was like an hour long process lol

Yeah they have to start the engine & run it for a few minutes on diesel then then switch to the oil. Have to switch back to diesel before killin the engine too. There's been loads of people do this, even blokes on TV doin it lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-10-01 06:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah we used to joke that he was the only guy who had a car that took longer to start up then the reactor

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Fabiano
Server: Bismarck
user: fabiano
By Bismarck.Fabiano 2010-10-01 07:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

these days you can get sued for using the word French fries .

"Freedom Fries" < "French Fries"

selfmade fries arent that awesome anymore if you have to make 40KG+ every day .
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-10-01 07:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Fabiano said:
these days you can get sued for using the word French fries .

"Freedom Fries" < "French Fries"

and the only people that would sue over such a frivolous thing are overly zealous soccer moms and bible thumpers. :p
 Sylph.Washburn
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-01 07:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

By far the best way to make fries is the way i've been doing it for a few years.

Idaho russett potatoes, DONT skin them, just use a mandolin to make them into their french fry shape (technically called "Julianne cut")

Soak them in almost ice cold water to draw out the excessive starch. You'll most likely have to drain the water and make like 3+ baths for them depending on how many you make.

You then blanch them in the oil. The way I do this is I get my peanut oil above water's boiling point (212 F @ sea level) in order to safely cook out the water that the potatoes have been soaking in. I usually aim for 225 F. Just cook them until theyre not as stiff, but dont let them cook so far that theyre basically ready to be mashed potatoes. Undercooking is ok b/c the cooking process will still be happening for a few minutes after they come out of the oil, b/c oil holds heat longer than water or air.

Once they're all blanched, turn the oil up to about 375. I use Peanut oil b/c it has a nice flavor and it has a higher burn temp. Once the oil's up to temp, drop a good hanful sized amount in at once, the oil will bubble and rise some due to cooking out the moisture still inside the potatoes, so add them slow to prevent a boilover.

Just let them cook until they start to get golden brown. The bouyancy will change a bit so you'll know when theyre done, but i'm not sure if that's specific to the type of potato i use or not. I know it works for chicken though. chicken floats when it's done.

Anyhoo, after your fries are out of the oil, just put them in a big bowl and sprinkle some kosher salt on them and give them a toss. Kosher salt is a little more coarse than table salt, AND it has no iodine, which makes table salt taste metallic. You wont know the dofference until you try, but holy ***, once you get used to kosher salt, you'll never go back.
 Bismarck.Fabiano
Server: Bismarck
user: fabiano
By Bismarck.Fabiano 2010-10-01 07:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

fleur de sel -> every other salt
 Sylph.Washburn
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-01 07:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Fabiano said:
Not familiar with that. I would think Kosher was pure salt. What's your fancy french salt have added?
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-10-01 07:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Washburn said:
Bismarck.Fabiano said:
Not familiar with that. I would think Kosher was pure salt. What's your fancy french salt have added?

Fleur de sel
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-10-01 08:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadplaything said:
Omg they were so good the grease and the crispy goodness made me happy. Its the simple things in life just figured it was important enough to make a post about. What did you do tonight to make you happy!??? nomnomnomnom
you posted that at 3am for me <.< and its 10am now and all honestly the french fries arent so tempting atm =(