Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-27 15:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
From what I learned if you like video games and you quit FFXI. Your only going to waste time on other video games. If you really want to do something good go run off the weight FFXI puts on if your addicted to it. Start eating healthier, Spend time with family/ your significant other. Then come back when you priorities are straight. Just hit the weights and do cardio. Your body will become addicted to this and you will damn well feel weird/lazy if your sitting around for long periods of time lol.
wat

my body has NEVER become addicted to weights/cardio

i hate it as much as i ever did
I've been kinda addicted to running. It's kinda weird. I mean doing it sucks but other than the abuse you did to your body but I mean your brain does release serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and endorphins. Which can be semi addicting. Not compared to crack but at least compared to an MMO.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-27 15:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what I'm *** addicted to..
auto-run.
I wish more games did this.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
From what I learned if you like video games and you quit FFXI. Your only going to waste time on other video games. If you really want to do something good go run off the weight FFXI puts on if your addicted to it. Start eating healthier, Spend time with family/ your significant other. Then come back when you priorities are straight. Just hit the weights and do cardio. Your body will become addicted to this and you will damn well feel weird/lazy if your sitting around for long periods of time lol.
wat

my body has NEVER become addicted to weights/cardio

i hate it as much as i ever did
I've been kinda addicted to running. It's kinda weird. I mean doing it sucks but other than the abuse you did to your body but I mean your brain does release serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and endorphins. Which can be semi addicting. Not compared to crack but at least compared to an MMO.

i ran 2-3 miles a day for 6 years(not of my own volition) and got pretty decent at it actually(between 12:30-13:00) 2-mile

but i never regarded it with anything but vile, pulsing hatred

weights i have a higher opinion of, but even that is only fun with friends to compete with

maybe they forgot to give me dopamine receptors
 Fenrir.Yinsha
Server: Fenrir
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 15:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
No he's not.

Exercise produces endorphins. Fact.
Endorphins = natural happy pill.
They make you feel good.
Better physical appearance increases self-confidence.

No one ever said that you can't play games and exercise/look good. It was suggested as an alternative to playing. And video games are a much bigger waste of time, for the record. Exercise improves quality of life and can actually be fun unless you're a Negative Nancy. Video games? They accomplish nothing meaningful aside from entertainment.

What is more meaningful in life than being happy? I could dig up many research papers that show how mentally enriching [many, but not all] games can be, which debunks your "Nothing beyond entertainment" position. And let's not forget the famous article about Games producing reflexes akin to Fighter-pilots that stir'd up a pretty big shitstorm here a few months ago.

The simple lesson here is, if you want to give advice, good for you, if you want to make someone else feel bad about the way they choose to live their life, keep it to yourself. Don't get me wrong Skarwind's advice was very good. I'm just trying to point out that nobody should think gaming as lesser than any other activity one does for enjoyment. But as with anything (Including Exercise, a huge majority of profession athletes over the age of 35 have severely debilitating chronic-stress related issues) too much will break you.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, obv. Prolonged life = more games, prove me wrong bro. He wanted an alternative to FFXI and being in shape is a great alternative, especially after the toll FFXI takes out on people. I would love to argue forever but I have a workout to continue. inb4 excuses as to why exercise is horrible
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-09-27 15:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way i'd get over FFXI.... support groups.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
No he's not.

Exercise produces endorphins. Fact.
Endorphins = natural happy pill.
They make you feel good.
Better physical appearance increases self-confidence.

No one ever said that you can't play games and exercise/look good. It was suggested as an alternative to playing. And video games are a much bigger waste of time, for the record. Exercise improves quality of life and can actually be fun unless you're a Negative Nancy. Video games? They accomplish nothing meaningful aside from entertainment.

What is more meaningful in life than being happy? I could dig up many research papers that show how mentally enriching [many, but not all] games can be, which debunks your "Nothing beyond entertainment" position. And let's not forget the famous article about Games producing reflexes akin to Fighter-pilots that stir'd up a pretty big shitstorm here a few months ago.

The simple lesson here is, if you want to give advice, good for you, if you want to make someone else feel bad about the way they choose to live their life, keep it to yourself. Don't get me wrong Skarwind's advice was very good. I'm just trying to point out that nobody should think gaming as lesser than any other activity one does for enjoyment. But as with anything (Including Exercise, a huge majority of profession athletes over the age of 35 have severely debilitating chronic-stress related issues) too much will break you.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, obv. Prolonged life = more games, prove me wrong bro. He wanted an alternative to FFXI and being in shape is a great alternative, especially after the toll FFXI takes out on people. I would love to argue forever but I have a workout to continue. inb4 excuses as to why exercise is horrible

one random thought on getting into shape

it's got a big similarity to ffxi

if you do your research on forums, bodybuilding.com, etc

and learn how to do it correctly

you will get a lot bigger effort/reward ratio than if you just jump in and lift mindlessly

much like a few job guides before you level your first job will save you a lot of heartache in the long run
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
Only way i'd get over FFXI.... support groups.

only way i'll get over it

server shutdown

it'd probably be best for my rl if it happened sooner rather than later ;;
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 15:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:

Bolded: There are millions of Paralysis, stroke, heart attack and Nerve damage sufferers who wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. But that's just trolling. Pay it no mind.

I think when you read that, you reached the part you wanted to respond to, and quickly responded without finishing, I said exercise was a great alternative, but that people shouldn't try to suggest anything else (Namely gaming, but it's true for anything) carries less credibility as an alternative. I don't think I will ever understand what is so difficult about reading and understanding context, that you people have jump to conclusions like "He disagree, sayin exercise is horrible, lolfatty."

The key to getting over FFXI doesn't lie in a single given activity, it lies in whatever can be done to avoid exposure to FFXI. Step1 should be never to come back to FFXIAH.com until ready, and it's not entirely improbable that he'll never be ready to come back to FFXI/MMO responsibly.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 16:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

one random thought on getting into shape

it's got a big similarity to ffxi

if you do your research on forums, bodybuilding.com, etc

and learn how to do it correctly

you will get a lot bigger effort/reward ratio than if you just jump in and lift mindlessly

much like a few job guides before you level your first job will save you a lot of heartache in the long run

Very important. It can be worse to Exercise wrong, than not at all.

Also, important, is if you're trying to drop some fatty, water is incredibly important, because on a biochemistry level, you need three molecules of water, to burn one molecule of fat.

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:

Nobody said anything of that nature until you got defensive. It was said that "You'll just end up wasting time on other games." You inverted the sentence and took from it "Games are a waste of time." That was not the intended meaning. The OP is trying to quit FFXI. I doubt he wants to get addicted to other games.

You assume he would become addicted to another game. Let's be honest, something about the Online social interaction of MMOS makes them completely different beasts than your standard game. I had to FFXI hiatus a few times, and I can tell you the worst part, especially as a college student, is the "Idle" Time when you have literally nothing left to do for the day. "Maybe I'll just pop on for a few minutes and see how everyone's doing!" Yah, right. Other games got me through those periods.
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 16:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bolded: There are millions of Paralysis, stroke, heart attack and Nerve damage sufferers who wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. But that's just trolling. Pay it no mind.

I think when you read that, you reached the part you wanted to respond to, and quickly responded without finishing, I said exercise was a great alternative, but that people shouldn't try to suggest anything else (Namely gaming, but it's true for anything) carries less credibility as an alternative. I don't think I will ever understand what is so difficult about reading and understanding context, that you people have jump to conclusions like "He disagree, sayin exercise is horrible, lolfatty."

The key to getting over FFXI doesn't lie in a single given activity, it lies in whatever can be done to avoid exposure to FFXI. Step1 should be never to come back to FFXIAH.com until ready, and it's not entirely improbable that he'll never be ready to come back to FFXI/MMO responsibly.
The whole point mentioning exercise was because it's a lifestyle change and a healthy one. Being confident will get you out of the house more often hopefully. AKA not on interwebs 2 feet away from FFXI.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 16:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
He wants to quit because he can't afford it.
Games aren't exactly cheap. Even games that aren't online. Unless you spend foooorrreeeevvvvveerrrr on a play through or buy suppppeerrr cheap games, buying games is going to end up costing more than $12.95/mo.

True, I assumed he would have already had a stockpile, a bad assumption to be sure! (There's always friends to loan stuff though, but who has friends and plays FFXI, that's ridiculous)

Fenrir.Yinsha said:

The whole point mentioning exercise was because it's a lifestyle change and a healthy one. Being confident will get you out of the house more often hopefully. AKA not on interwebs 2 feet away from FFXI.

Which is why I said it was good advice D: If someone Suggested Masturbating to landslides(in person of course), I would condone that too.
 Ramuh.Gurxl
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Gurxl 2010-09-27 16:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Games aren't exactly cheap. Even games that aren't online. Unless you spend foooorrreeeevvvvveerrrr on a play through or buy suppppeerrr cheap games, buying games is going to end up costing more than $12.95/mo.

True, I assumed he would have already had a stockpile, a bad assumption to be sure! (There's always friends to loan stuff though, but who has friends and plays FFXI, that's ridiculous)

There is always FREE games to play
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 16:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

weren't you going to continue your workout?
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-09-27 16:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Do something else. My husband and I recently left for a weekend to go see some friends, and we were so busy shopping and swimming and catching up with our pals and trying new restaurants that I didn't even think of FF. (Of course, we were only away from it for a few days.) When you are occupied with other things, though, you don't have as much time to miss it.
By Sheelay 2010-09-27 16:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What Liela said
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 16:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
weren't you going to continue your workout?
20x5 trollin
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-09-27 16:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i played allods for about 2weeks after i quit but know i just have other things to do now cant play either XD.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-27 18:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Get a job.
Gotta pay to pay you basement dwellers.
If you can't do that I think you need to reorganize your priorities.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-27 19:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Get a job.
Gotta pay to pay you basement dwellers.
If you can't do that I think you need to reorganize your priorities.
for once I will agree with what numbnuts said
 Alexander.Jukie
Server: Alexander
user: Jukie
By Alexander.Jukie 2010-09-27 20:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The real cheeky way to get over it is to replace it with something else. I just went cold turkey on ff11 in the end of July and I did it by playing ff12 for hours on end instead. But the cool thing about regular games is that u can pause them and they have an end. By the time u finish something like ff12 u'll be fine. Do stuff like watch a whole dvd series or something. Things u prolly couldn't do when u played 11 so much. For the first week I was so depressed. But now it's like 'hmm I feel like watching this tv show today and going out tomorrow.' instead of 'gawd I can't leave this computer cos I have Einherjar and Dynamis back to back.'
 Titan.Eiryn
Server: Titan
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-27 20:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I have had the addiction for 7 years now and I am losing it very quickly. Luckily SE has helped a TON the past month with that. The new update basically makes Abyssea the ONLY place to do anything and your time there is limited soooo...

On another note, once my gameplay started going down I started taking invites to parties, lol. I would NOT suggest going out to bars too often as that is just another waste of money, but find things to do that dont cost a lot of money and go out and do them in your game downtime. Once I started doing that I just happened to meet an amazing girl and working on not scaring her off at this point. =P

Everything falls into place and before you know it, your priorities switch and you start thinking.. "Damnit, I have to log into FFXI now..."

Disclaimer: Results may vary. =P
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2010-09-27 20:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i myself quit a couple months back. Go find a fun cheap hobby i started to go to the beach and surf its way better then spending all day in your room on a game you just gotta keep yourself busy and while your bored is when your most likely to play ffxi just go out and find something to do anything!

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sithius
Server: Bismarck
user: Sithius
By Bismarck.Sithius 2010-09-27 20:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

play ffxii, that feels like an offline ffxi.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-27 20:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elvaton said:
i myself quit a couple months back. Go find a fun cheap hobby i started to go to the beach and surf its way better then spending all day in your room on a game you just gotta keep yourself busy and while your bored is when your most likely to play ffxi just go out and find something to do anything!
awesome stuff man. I got the beach, friends, and booze all in reach to have an awesome time.
 Asura.Riddick
Server: Asura
user: Riddick
By Asura.Riddick 2010-09-27 21:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Have a couple kids. Try playing 6 hours with a 3 and 5 year old looking for attention. Eventually guilt sets in or u live with insomnia like me and play when there in bed. I imagine if i have a third ill be done. God save me.....