Game Over ?
First Page 2 3
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-09-21 05:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

With FFXIV's release on the 30th and prerelease on the 23th, who is going to quit, who is going to play both games, who sticks to FFXI ? How long will FFXI survive till sever merging ? And why ?

- P-chan

[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 05:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just going to say right now: This could be a really good discussion so lets try to keep it on topic without slating either game ^^
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 05:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

But I shall be moving to XIV myself, XI just doesn't have the magic for me any more.

I'm interested to see if they add new jobs in the future, though.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-21 05:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Tough question. I pre-ordered my copy, and I do actually really want to play, despite my lack of care for the last 2-3 stages of beta, but I'm already playing FFXI way more than I should be while I'm studying a pretty intensive degree, and I'm enjoying it. I'm absolutely loving abyssea, so I just don't know how I'll split my time.

Mind you, I still really wish they'd gone for a December release, I think they're releasing way too soon and aren't ready.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-09-21 06:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have pre-ordered my copy and as soon as I have built a PC that can play it I will do so (probably about a month from now).I will continue to play XI until I either get bored, or until XIV has all the wrinkles ironed out after release.
 Asura.Selennia
Server: Asura
user: Selennia
By Asura.Selennia 2010-09-21 06:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Staying on XI. I think it'll stay have plenty of people staying and will survive a good while until server merge.
 Carbuncle.Calem
Server: Carbuncle
user: Calem
By Carbuncle.Calem 2010-09-21 06:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently found a really fun LS to play with, so I'll be sticking around in XI for a while yet I think.

I don't have a PS3 and my computer struggles to run Microsoft Word as it is, so I won't be playing XIV any time soon. Unless SE and Microsoft stop being stubborn babies and figure out a compromise to get Xbox Live and Play Online (or whatever it is SE are using now) to work properly together, I doubt I'll be playing it all.

I think XI could benefit from server merging sooner rather than later. There will be plenty of people leaving for XIV, and even those who are going to play both will be spending less time than they used to in XI. It's already getting hard to find low / mid level parties (for me at least) and with fewer players around it certainly won't get any easier. I can imagine a fair amount of people will be put off by the low player population and may give up on XI altogther.

Obviously this makes the situation even worse, so if SE don't take steps to deal with this potential problem in time it could be pretty harmful to the game's future.
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-21 06:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't help but think of this.
[+]
 Siren.Blaire
Server: Siren
user: 1000stars
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-21 06:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I like FFXI a lot, it's been my home for many years. I am, however, moving to FFXIV at Collector's release. I will still play FFXI sometimes, just won't be very much. FF14 offers a much more casual feel to me than 11 does. I like the fact that I don't have to wait for hours for people to get organized in order to do an event or to party. But in the same time, I have way too many good friends on FF11 to give them all up already. Most won't be moving to ff14 that i know of.
 Fenrir.Arsi
Server: Fenrir
user: Arsi
By Fenrir.Arsi 2010-09-21 06:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

hm......
it is interesting how long ffxi can survive

long long time ago when Television was invented people predicted that radio station would be gone forver, obviously they didn't realized TV and Radio have different in nature, especially in term of running cost and technology limitation...etc.

Well, what i'm trying to say is.. come to think about it, perhaps in 6 or 12 months, people will be able to play ffxi on their iphone 5G or something. And ffxi can go on virtually forever.

So i don't know how long ffxi can survive, i think it depends how long SE wants it to survive.
 Leviathan.Willoflame
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-09-21 06:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, but I've played XI way too long (500+ days play time) to go to another game. No matter how good it is. I'm on FFXI until the servers shut down or my house burns down. <3
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-21 06:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI will endure, like the Krogan.

Anyway, Mass Effect reference aside, considering that it's the Same Company producing, arguably FFXI's competition, I doubt XI would shut down unless there was not enough people to maintain at least one server, because either way, Square Enix is getting paid. In that regard, FFXIV failing is a bigger threat to FFXI than if FFXIV were a success.

As for myself, it's only 7 bucks more to maintain both accounts, that brings it to around a solid 20 a month, since FFXIV's endgame isn't likely to develop itself until two or three patches in, FFXI will perhaps satiate the desire for some overwhelming odds, instead of Lancer Versus the Star Marmot, Round 941.
 Siren.Blaire
user: 1000stars
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-21 07:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Zic just reminded me that I never finished ME2 on the hardest skill level. Started a playthrough the 2nd time around, got bored of it, forgot about it til now!

/em goes to beat it!
 Remora.Azildas
Server: Remora
By Remora.Azildas 2010-09-21 07:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I may move if XIV provides more solo content (hahaha, right). Nothing better than sitting around for hours looking for a party 'cause you're not using the popular job/sub-job flavor of the month.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-09-21 07:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Azildas said:
Nothing better than sitting around for hours looking for a party 'cause you're not using the popular job/sub-job flavor of the month.

SE calls this job balance
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-21 07:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI - Been out for ages, SE making it super easy and raising the cap to 99 by the end of the year (going from 75 to 99 in what 8 months?)

My guess: FFXI will last for about 6 months after Cap reaches 99 then people will get bored and want to play something else.

FFXIV is fun imo. Needs time, like FFXI did, to get used to and have it be a great game (like ffxi). I'm sure by the time people get bored of FFXI, FFXIV will be an awesome game to play.

But Game Over for FFXI? I highly doubt it. It will still have people playing it even if it's only 20 total.
 Carbuncle.Shotzie
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shotzie
By Carbuncle.Shotzie 2010-09-21 07:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think FFXI will be around for a while. Most of the people I've talked to plan to bounce back and forth between both games.

FFXIV looks gorgeous but I'm sticking to XI. I admit that I strayed a few years ago to WoW, but it meant nothing to me..it was just meaningless exp! FFXI always had my <3.

I still visit Azeroth from time to time when XI and I are in a rough patch though >_>;
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-09-21 08:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm staying on XI.

I've got a lot to do still in this game. There's still much more crack that needs to be consumed.

Also..

I have a kid on the way, and don't think Ill have time to jump into a new MMO. My best bet is to stay on XI, that's if I even play that.

Other than that, graphically XIV looks amazing, and I'm sure they'll work out all the kinks, GL to those who play! ^^
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-21 08:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll continue doing some EG (and catching up to level cap) on FFXI while playing FFXIV. Depending on the amount of content at FFXIV's release, I may end up playing it more than FFXI or vice versa.

Edit: And with the FFXIV level cap being 50, it probably won't take long for people to hit that. Especially if they increase the amount of levequests that can be done or lower the timer on doing them again. It's not hard to level (at least physical level).
 Shiva.Kollosis
Server: Shiva
user: Kollosis
By Shiva.Kollosis 2010-09-21 08:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Willoflame said:
I'm on FFXI until the servers shut down or my house burns down. <3

XI PRIDE!
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2010-09-21 08:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno what i'm doing yet 1 day I <3 ff11 next hate it lol :x
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2010-09-21 08:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm staying on XI. I still have so much left to do on that game.
 Cerberus.Savannah
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2010-09-21 08:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

XI!!
 Phoenix.Maeya
Server: Phoenix
user: Maeya
By Phoenix.Maeya 2010-09-21 09:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Willoflame said:
I'm sorry, but I've played XI way too long (500+ days play time) to go to another game. No matter how good it is. I'm on FFXI until the servers shut down or my house burns down. <3

Ditto!

I was really excited about FF14.. and then I got accepted for the beta, and was like 'Well ***, I'm too busy with FFXI'. I realised that if I wasn't even interested in that, then there was no way I was going to switch.

I think we might need another server merge in the coming months, but it probably won't die out any time soon.
 Bahamut.Purrfectly
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Purrfectly 2010-09-21 09:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I will stay on XI for a while. I also think Abyssea are rather fun, right now. The graphics on IV's are great but still dont think I can get in the hang of how that game will be. I tried the beta and its alot more different
 Siren.Maximillion
user: mozart
By Siren.Maximillion 2010-09-21 09:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV if I can afford a decent graphic card (around 200 bucks :/) otherwise still wasting time in WG counting steps from AH to MH.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-09-21 09:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, seems like a lot of people are sticking around. I think that's great, and I hope SE doesn't end ffxi just to get a ffxiv population bump or something stupid. And keeping it going HAS to be fairly cheap. Even if there's no new content, a lot of people still have things they want to do before they're done. So it's basically just running and maintaining servers (server?) Hopefully that's more than paid for by the monthly fees.

I haven't played the beta, but it seems like every day I hear about someone who was pretty disappointed with the mechanics of it. Sure that can change and it might be awesome for my brain, but that really doesn't sound good.

I am going to stick around 11 until either I am satisfied with what I've done (lol loooong time from now, I am a newcomer) or I am really really really convinced that 14 is stunning in everyway. Starting a new game at my age... oh boy.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-21 09:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to buy 14 and start out on opening week, I expect. However if the retail is like how the Beta was with the constant crashing and other various issues I'm probably going to put it on hold until those issues are resolved.

I'm most likely going to continue playing XI and XIV together. Right now in XI there really isn't much for me to do outside Absysea. I'm constantly waiting on new stones to recharge so that is basically a time limit imposed in and of itself.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3