Looking For PS2 HDD Plz Help!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Looking for PS2 HDD plz help!
Looking for PS2 HDD plz help!
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-16 00:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So I got ahold of old ps2 and I found some decent priced network adapters and I have the ethernet cable already. I even have an account to play FFXI on (I assume you can us PC accounts on PS2 and vice versa shouldn't matter) I just need to track down a *** HDD with ff11 preloaded lol! HELP! Its unavailable from manufactuer and best price I can find online is 50 bucks or so.

fyi I need 2 of them plz ^^
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-09-16 00:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
So I got ahold of old ps2 and I found some decent priced network adapters and I have the ethernet cable already. I even have an account to play FFXI on (I assume you can us PC accounts on PS2 and vice versa shouldn't matter) I just need to track down a *** HDD with ff11 preloaded lol! HELP! Its unavailable from manufactuer and best price I can find online is 50 bucks or so.

fyi I need 2 of them plz ^^
i THINK i have one, held onto it when i sold my ps2, whats your priceeeeeeee i needs money
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-16 01:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

well how far do you live, we gotta factor in shipping ^^ send me a PM :) dont wanna discuss dollars openly. But if I buy one from astrida I'll need another :)
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-16 01:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

also network adapters yes plz ^^
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-16 01:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

astrida where is my PM!
 Fairy.Sukasaroth
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Sukasaroth 2010-09-17 00:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i has one fully updated.
 Phoenix.Gimmeurselables
Server: Phoenix
user: Loltron
By Phoenix.Gimmeurselables 2010-09-17 00:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I got one but it's my brothers and i dont think he wants to sell it :( lol
 Asura.Shua
Server: Asura
user: Shua
By Asura.Shua 2010-09-17 00:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have an old PS3 model you can just put FFXI on that.. But it has to be the old model for the backwards compatibility.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-17 00:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Shua

I know this :) I have the 250gb slim though so thats not gonna work. Cheaper to just get a HDD and network adapter.
 Asura.Shua
user: Shua
By Asura.Shua 2010-09-17 02:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
@ Shua

I know this :) I have the 250gb slim though so thats not gonna work. Cheaper to just get a HDD and network adapter.

Awe ): Well my HDD burnt out a while ago or else I would give it to you, I keep it though a memory sake thing :) Best 100bucks I ever EVER spent :D
 Asura.Lexin
user: Kakurot
By Asura.Lexin 2010-09-17 08:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have one but has nothing past CoP (as far as I can remember). It's been sitting in my broke down PS2 for like the past 5 years.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-17 12:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

HDD without the discs is useless. You will have to format it and reinstall everything unless you buy the person's PS2 that was being used with the discs.

It comes with a SONY disc to format and two PlayOnline discs (one install POL the other install FFXI).

And then you will need the expansions.

If you have the expansion discs you can use them to install POL instead of the original POL CD.

Again, without the SONY HDD Utility disc, it's near useless as you need to format it if you intend to move it from a PS2 console to another (DUMB useless annoying DRM you can't get around.)
[+]
 Odin.Mikumaru
Server: Odin
user: Mikumaru
By Odin.Mikumaru 2010-09-17 12:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

it doesnt matter if you can find a PS2 HDD with current FFXI loaded on it . Do your self a favour and track down Vana Diel Collection 2008 and save youre self some dissapointment . If the HDD has been in a PS2 already (which obviously it has if it has FFXI preload ) you'll have to do a Reinstall inorder to get it to operate on the new PS2 . I have changed HDDs 4 times and swapped HDD to PS2 just as many . Each time required a clean wipe and reinstall of all info . The MAC address of the PS2 is set in to HDD or something preventing swaps from PS2 to PS2 with out wiping the Mofo . Unless i been doin something wrong these past near 7 years , you will need Game Discs (not codes just the Discs) and the HDD utility Disc to Format to the Current PS2.If you are able to swap HDDs between PS2 i'd love to know what i am doin wrong , cuz a 10 hour Install/DL each time is makin me look for an inexpensive Laptop to replace the PS2 i know and Love >.>

Edit : i know the guy above me saidd this in fewer words but i just wnated to vent really
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-17 13:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah I never understood the point of putting such heavy DRM on the PS2 FFXI but then it's worse on the XBOX360 as once you install the game on it, the disc will only boot if the HDD is plugged onto the right/original console it was installed to. And you can't remove the HDD files unless you boot the disc on THAT console. Meaning that if the console is broken or missing, you're stuck without being able to uninstall (to reinstall again) and have 11GB of hidden/unusable data on your hard drive.

Microsoft then finally added the FFXI files to the purge function on the "Delete cache data" option at the dashboard. Sadly sometimes people click on that and find their perfectly healthy XBOX360 FFXI install has gone down the pipe.
By Elwynbelwyn 2010-09-17 19:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As others have said, once FFXI is installed on a PS2 HD, you can't run it on a different PS2 without a re-install. You WILL need an install disk, either the collection or the four separate disks, and I hear they don't go cheap. Also, you can't use an ordinary hard drive for FFXI. Sony's hard drives have custom firmware with MagicGate[tm] support in them. Once they all die, they're gone.

You can get away without the Sony HD utility disk if it's already been formatted, but you may need to reformat if someone has used the HD with HDLoader.
 Asura.Stryger
user: Stryger
By Asura.Stryger 2010-09-17 20:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt bother reading all of the posts cause im lazy, just the last one, but if you were to buy the Ps2 "set" would prolly run you -atleast- 100 bucks i think.. i bought mine when the game was still somewhat new for around 150~, and yes you will need to reformat it to run it on a different Ps2 if you were to get a used one.

Edit: I bought mine on Amazon, if that helps at all.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-09-17 21:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually just had to return a HDD/ffxi package to a seller on Ebay. Turns out my ps2 succumbed to the infamous "disc read error" and no matter what I did to try fix it...it still wouldn't read it. Make sure the fat ps2 u got can still read disc's.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-17 22:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't "get away" without using the Utility disc to format because if you don't completely wipe the hard drive (there's some DRM information saved on the system partitions) you will be greeted by an "DNAS-404" error when trying to authenticate the new install.

FYI "DNAS-404" means "HDD Hardware binding error".
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-19 02:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay I found one that is "like new" or so im told and has everything included. From what I understand its never been used with a ps2 before. I'll ask him right now though.
 Bahamut.Striker
By Bahamut.Striker 2010-09-19 03:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I took mine out long ago, it keeps water rings from forming on my desk next to my PC.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-19 03:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

you mean you use it as a coaster?
 Bismarck.Kote
Server: Bismarck
user: Fockr
By Bismarck.Kote 2010-09-19 10:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything is just an accessory next to a PC. :)
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-19 19:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So did anyone find one they want to sell? I know a lot of you were saying you were going to look and see.
 Lakshmi.Septroth
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2010-09-19 20:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
So did anyone find one they want to sell? I know a lot of you were saying you were going to look and see.

if u buy a hard drive and send it to me I can format and install ffxi on it for you I have all the disks and a ps2 siting in my closet
By nightan77 2010-09-19 23:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i happen tohave 1 from when i used to play on ps2 ill send ya a pm ^^
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 14:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

nightan77 informed me that even if you have the core game installed you need the expansion discs for ps2 version you can't just download them if you use an account that is registered for those expansions i.e. my pc account wouldn't be able to access toau or wotg etc etc. is this seriously true?
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 14:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

seriously help with the above question because i can't find any forum or help topic that answers this
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
Server: Bismarck
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2010-09-21 15:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading this post I just had to go look and see if I still had my disks for my PS2. I still do! Along with my PS2 that has FFxi on it. My PS3 now has FFxi on it and updated but I play on PC mostly. Sorry your having such a hard time locating a set. If there was a way to save it into a iso that you could burn to a disk/file I would send them to you. I really don't part with the disks though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-FFXI-PS2-FREE-Chains-Promathia-/270636446240?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f03307220#ht_500wt_1154

buy it now 35 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PS2-HDD-NETWORK-ADAPTER-Final-Fantasy-FFXI-package-/220672328700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33611883fc#ht_726wt_1137

the whole package too.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 17:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

well do I need to actually have the expansion discs or will an account that has access to all of that stuff and all the add ons just download like it would on a pc or xbox?
First Page 2