Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 15:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Hahn said:
They're still adding tons more content and didn't they just appoint a new director to the game?
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they promoted a new Director internally, because the top-level folks are leaving to work on other projects.
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I will be the first one to step up and offer them props if they really do address these issues by release. I've been quite vocal in my skepticism, but I'm encouraged.

It at least proves they are aware of the issues and opinion of the community at large.

Even if all of these aren't implemented at release I'll feel more comfortable simply because I know they are issues that SE are aware off.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-09-14 15:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I will be the first one to step up and offer them props if they really do address these issues by release. I've been quite vocal in my skepticism, but I'm encouraged.
It at least proves they are aware of the issues and opinion of the community at large.

Even if all of these aren't implemented at release I'll feel more comfortable simply because I know they are issues that SE are aware off.
My thoughts exactly. I'm excited to finally be able to try to beta soon ^^
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-09-14 15:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Valefor.Hahn said:
They're still adding tons more content and didn't they just appoint a new director to the game?
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they promoted a new Director internally, because the top-level folks are leaving to work on other projects.

I hope FFXIII Versus. -_-
 Titan.Eiryn
Server: Titan
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 15:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, "New Director" sounds like "B squad" to me, and "Tons of exciting, new content" sounds like "Give the masses an orgy of "new content" to keep them blind to a dying game." Hell it only took me 3 days to level my favorite jobs to 85, do the new cutscenes, get my weapons upgraded, get all but my feet armor(which will be coming this week)... now for 3 months of farming abyssea... yee haw?
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

XI needs a new expansion. That will give more certainty to the games future.

Mini expansions are... well what they say, mini expansions. I mean Abyssea is nice, but it's hardly going to hold the masses for long.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-14 15:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Something tells me that the beta was just a scratch on the surface.

They didn't really give us full exploration which means that they were hard at work on major things in the game in a closed environment while we wreaked havoc on their servers and play tested all the concepts that they had.
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 15:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I like that they finally said they will have new haircuts, the FFXI+1 haircuts were nice, but I want something I havent seen yet!
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to have to go through the whole character creation again... I'd just perfected the Character I was going to choose too

poo
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-09-14 15:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, did they mention that there were in fact 2 separate clients? They made reference to a "retail client" and as a distinct "beta client"... That sounds odd to me. Usually games are tested on the actual client... there is usually only one test string? Coulda just been a translation hiccup.

Is there a second version out there that SE plans to flip on come the 22nd? And just how many teams do they have working in tandem to pull off such a feat. Seems ridiculous. Copies of the retail game should be reaching businesses within the next day or 2... I suppose we'll have to wait :(

By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Chupacabra said:
Actually, did they mention that there were in fact 2 separate clients? They made reference to a "retail client" and as a distinct "beta client"... That sounds odd to me. Usually games are tested on the actual client... there is usually only one test string? Coulda just been a translation hiccup.

Is there a second version out there that SE plans to flip on come the 22nd? And just how many teams do they have working in tandem to pull off such a feat. Seems ridiculous. Copies of the retail game should be reaching businesses within the next day or 2... I suppose we'll have to wait :(

Well the Beta client lacks a whole lot of content in game and on the back-end of it. An entire new client will be necessary.

This is why we were severely locked out of menu options and control changes in the Beta.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-14 15:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Diabolos.Chupacabra said:

Well the Beta client lacks a whole lot of content in game and on the back-end of it. An entire new client will be necessary.

This is why we were severely locked out of menu options and control changes in the Beta.

This^

I do believe that we only had access to a very limited portion of the game, now the reason behind that I'm not sure, but I do believe that it has to do with the fact that they just wanted us to test out the things that they were really having problems with without basically giving us the full game up front, they want the players to expect something come release otherwise people will just be like "oh that again" instead of "Oh my god! wow, that's cool!"

I'm not sure how limited we were but I do know that we didn't have access to barely anything.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-09-14 15:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... I never thought of it that way. Maybe the retail client is, in fact, much more polished than I gave it credit for... Time will tell.

I'm hoping for the best :)
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 15:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure the Collector's Edition box and content takes much much longer to make than the actual CD that goes in it, so I bet they could even wait as long as the end of this week to start producing the actual CD and still get it done on time.

To be honest, I think this whole testing phase was expertly done by SE. They put a lot of noticeable hard work and effort into fixing problems considering the massive leaps between alpha, closed and open betas. I like that they used separate clients and didn't release all of the game to the testers, gives us all something we haven't seen before when the game comes out! People seem to forget what alpha/beta TESTING is and that we are just free labor for them, but they still try to give us a good show.

Now, less fanboy of me, I am not looking forward to the download and uploads for this game because as we all know, that's where SE is desperately lacking... that and communication with those damn foreigners! =P
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well exploration wise we had a nice playground, but nowhere near the full content.

We could go to all 3 city states, but no more east than basic Mor Dhona and No more north than Ishgard (which was closed off by a GIANT gate)

Me and Kowen tried to climb the volcano in Limsa territory but an NPC called norman told us to *** off :(
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sothis
user: Nivys
By Lakshmi.Sothis 2010-09-14 15:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I am probably most psyched about the fact the Dragon/airship in that trailer is pretty clearly the Keeper of the Lake in Mor Dhona.
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 15:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way, that (hotter than all hell) mithra and elvaan were mooching guildleves from that hume... those ***!
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 16:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sothis said:
Honestly I am probably most psyched about the fact the Dragon/airship in that trailer is pretty clearly the Keeper of the Lake in Mor Dhona.

What was with all the aetheryte shards in Mor Dhona?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 16:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still very skeptical of the "they didn't give us the real game because they wanted us to test X" thing. No MMO company has ever done that before. It's pointless because you want people testing things the way they'll work at release, not a different use case. Otherwise there's no point in testing.

That said, I'm still encouraged by the update.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-09-14 16:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Sothis said:

Not quite sure about it. Its part of the mystery and why I'm so obsessed with the zone. Theres just too much unexplained there.
 Bismarck.Khris
Server: Bismarck
user: Cbrooks
By Bismarck.Khris 2010-09-14 16:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Eiryn said:
I'm sure the Collector's Edition box and content takes much much longer to make than the actual CD that goes in it, so I bet they could even wait as long as the end of this week to start producing the actual CD and still get it done on time.

Talked to gamestop and they are e-mailing a code with download instructions for the early access. They said the actual product will not be available for pickup until the official release date.

By Flionheart 2010-09-14 16:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I'm still very skeptical of the "they didn't give us the real game because they wanted us to test X" thing. No MMO company has ever done that before. It's pointless because you want people testing things the way they'll work at release, not a different use case. Otherwise there's no point in testing.

That said, I'm still encouraged by the update.

They didn't give us the real game because they wanted the Beta client to be 5Gb instead of 12Gb lol.

There's not much fat they could trim, perhaps the opening movies.
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 16:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Khris said:
Titan.Eiryn said:

Talked to gamestop and they are e-mailing a code with download instructions for the early access. They said the actual product will not be available for pickup until the official release date.

Ah, good to know. Utorrent will be up and running! lol
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-14 16:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Khris said:
Titan.Eiryn said:

Not really sure how that would work :/ what if you didn't order it online? Dunno about you, but I don't think if you walked in the store and pre ordered it that they automatically have your e-mail :/
 Lakshmi.Sothis
user: Nivys
By Lakshmi.Sothis 2010-09-14 16:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Sothis said:

Not quite sure about it. Its part of the mystery and why I'm so obsessed with the zone. Theres just too much unexplained there.

This.

I love the zone (especially during darkness weather/miasma - the purple fog just makes it look even more mysterious), and I was just musing with friends that I'd love to know more about the Keeper (since it was obviously wrapped around an airship; knew as much before this trailer came out) and then this trailer shows up! Of course it explains next to nothing, but it's still pretty damn cool.
 Bismarck.Khris
Server: Bismarck
user: Cbrooks
By Bismarck.Khris 2010-09-14 16:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Bismarck.Khris said:
Titan.Eiryn said:
Not really sure how that would work :/ what if you didn't order it online? Dunno about you, but I don't think if you walked in the store and pre ordered it that they automatically have your e-mail :/

I placed my order in store and had to go back to update my e-mail info, so if they don't have yours might want to go and update it.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-14 16:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Khris said:
Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Bismarck.Khris said:
Titan.Eiryn said:

I placed my order in store and had to go back to update my e-mail info, so if they don't have yours might want to go and update it.

Weird, I know everyone that works at my gamestop though :/ so they might have done it for me.

If I don't hear anything from them by next week i'll either FB em or go by there.
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 16:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Something I noticed from the trailer was the fireballs from the sky that you see in your opening CSs, I hope SE keeps with a storyline kind of atmosphere and doesn't just stick things all over the game without any rhyme or reason like they did in FFXI. I love a good backstory that can take you out of the grind and keep you interested like a good book.
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 16:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh
Despite the skepticism and frustration I experienced with the beta; SE sure knows how to woo their way into my heart with epic trailers ;x

/no longer feels shame for Pre-ordering.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-09-14 16:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Eiryn said:
Something I noticed from the trailer was the fireballs from the sky that you see in your opening CSs, I hope SE keeps with a storyline kind of atmosphere and doesn't just stick things all over the game without any rhyme or reason like they did in FFXI. I love a good backstory that can take you out of the grind and keep you interested like a good book.
While on the subject of continuity, the same song plays for each opening city's CS at one point or another. After having the OST and listening to the song itself, I'm still scratching my head as to its significance within the story. While each city has its own entry, these "fireballs" and that song are the only two constants. I'm curious as to how it will link each one.

I'm a story/lore-nut so its these kinds of things that get me excited about rather large games. Theres just so much to tell...