You Are Now Aware...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » You are now aware...
You are now aware...
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-13 23:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Most likely, the man who hasn't slept in that long is having seizures which result in him sleep walking. His brain is in a sleep like state but he's still able to function and move about, performing tasks while his brain is in sleep mode.

wrong, since I had a issue when I was a teen and it resulted in me have a seizure. You have no idea what you are talking about :(.

oh and I am not a epileptic and I was forced to take meds for it for like 8 years.

You're a moron... There's more than one type of seizure... Some seizures are almost impossible to diagnose. They don't all result in you falling to the floor and flailing about. People can have micro-seizures in the brain and still move about while functioning.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 23:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
"According to Dr. Wadhwa, one explanation could be in perception. He says that for some insomniacs, the ability to clearly observe the difference between sleep and wakefulness may be lacking. “The subject may feel they are merely resting when in actuality they are sleeping. They may also be having “Micro naps”—very short naps lasting minutes,” he said."

Source

Just because a dr says something does not mean he is right.... he is putting his perspective on the individual and following the norms of what he was taught, and he came to the assumption you can not go with out sleep for that long, which is wrong.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-13 23:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Flionheart said:
"According to Dr. Wadhwa, one explanation could be in perception. He says that for some insomniacs, the ability to clearly observe the difference between sleep and wakefulness may be lacking. “The subject may feel they are merely resting when in actuality they are sleeping. They may also be having “Micro naps”—very short naps lasting minutes,” he said." Source
That's a maybe. They have never disprove it. It's more of a we can't explain why so we will just say this
Well seeing as medically it would result in you dying if you lack sleep for that long, it's a pretty solid reason behind it.

He may be the one exception to the rule, but unless his brain as reached an altered state it's very doubtful. His body would cease to function.
With the exception of people with fatal familial insomnia can you site a source of someone actually dieing from lack of sleep?
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 23:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Most likely, the man who hasn't slept in that long is having seizures which result in him sleep walking. His brain is in a sleep like state but he's still able to function and move about, performing tasks while his brain is in sleep mode.

wrong, since I had a issue when I was a teen and it resulted in me have a seizure. You have no idea what you are talking about :(.

oh and I am not a epileptic and I was forced to take meds for it for like 8 years.

You're a moron... There's more than one type of seizure... Some seizures are almost impossible to diagnose. They don't all result in you falling to the floor and flailing about. People can have micro-seizures in the brain and still move about while functioning.

inb4 several pages where stanflame makes the entire topic about himself again.

Oh and also random smilies like ";/" when he can't think of anything to say, and also quoting people because he can't form his own arguments.

Prepare your body oddin.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-13 23:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Before he comes beating at my door:

When people talk about “seizures,” they usually refer to a medical phenomenon known as grand mal seizure or tonic-clonic seizure. The activity is characterized by sudden powerful muscular contractions and unconsciousness. Seizures are induced by electrical activity in the brain that is considered abnormal.

Seizures may be sparked by various health complications, including stroke or low blood sugar. Typically however, the condition known as epilepsy induces seizures. Healthy people could experience seizure, and usually, it won’t be followed by another round ever again. For some people though, medications are necessary to stop seizures from erupting.

The condition happens when electrical activity on the entire brain surface becomes unusually synchronized. Generally, seizures arise from abnormal electrical rhythms from the brain’s neurons. In a normally functioning brain, the nerve cells convey chemical and electrical signals to one another through synapses that serve as roads between them. When seizures happen however, the brain’s normal electrical signals are modified.

Up to now, the causes of half of all seizure cases are still unexplained. However, a variety of preexisting health complications can at times cause seizures. Some of these health conditions include traumatic injuries in the head, tumors in the brain, strokes, meningitis, abnormally formed brain blood vessels, genetic illnesses, encephalitis, use of illegal drugs and alcoholic beverages, and low levels of substances like calcium and glucose.

Seizures have many other risk factors, such as a family history of disorders that have seizure as their symptoms (epilepsy, for instance). Scientific studies have also found evidence that sleep deprivation can contribute to the occurrence of seizures. Any medical problem that has a bearing on the balance of electrolytes in your body could also play a role.

It is important for people who have these risk factors to keep their lifestyles in check because they may suffer seizures down the road. Also, patients who are already experiencing seizures should refrain from taking illicit drugs and alcoholic beverages because these substances could exacerbate their condition.

Source.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 23:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Flionheart said:
"According to Dr. Wadhwa, one explanation could be in perception. He says that for some insomniacs, the ability to clearly observe the difference between sleep and wakefulness may be lacking. “The subject may feel they are merely resting when in actuality they are sleeping. They may also be having “Micro naps”—very short naps lasting minutes,” he said." Source
That's a maybe. They have never disprove it. It's more of a we can't explain why so we will just say this
Well seeing as medically it would result in you dying if you lack sleep for that long, it's a pretty solid reason behind it.

He may be the one exception to the rule, but unless his brain as reached an altered state it's very doubtful. His body would cease to function.
With the exception of people with fatal familial insomnia can you site a source of someone actually dieing from lack of sleep?

No, as that would be murder. You will faint LONG before any chance of death will occur. I'm sure people have died from lack of sleep in tortuous situations, but It couldn't have been documented.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 23:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lack of sleep would result in a heart attack due to a buildup of waste products in the blood stream, messing with the hearts natural rhythm.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-13 23:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Flionheart said:

No, as that would be murder. You will faint LONG before any chance of death will occur. I'm sure people have died from lack of sleep in tortuous situations, but It couldn't have been documented.

Apparently there has been no recorded deaths from lack of sleep in itself but it is possible.

Interesting read and possibly the next new topic to derail this thread.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 23:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

"It has been documented that depriving rats of REM sleep specifically leads to death in 3 to 8 weeks (which doesn't happen with depriving test animals of other specific sleep phases), but it has also been documented that humans survive without REM sleep for longer than other animals. There have been tests on humans in which REM sleep was deprived, and all subjects in the study had to quit before the study could run to completion. Obviously, scientists cannot ethically experiment how long it takes for lack of sleep to kill a person. As polyphasic sleepers get a lot of Stage 4 NREM and REM sleep, they may achieve higher alertness levels than those who do not practice the art of napping."

As we are mammals, we would die.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-14 00:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Again there is no actual proof that anyone has died or would die of it. While there is someone who has so far to be disproven that he hasn't slept in over 30 years. As far as ethics look who we experimented on and even tortured with lack of sleep lol. We didn't really care that much about ethics. If they still kept such records I'd so go for it. As long as I don't have to compete with that one dude and only had to go like 12 days
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-09-14 01:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-14 08:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Again there is no actual proof that anyone has died or would die of it. While there is someone who has so far to be disproven that he hasn't slept in over 30 years. As far as ethics look who we experimented on and even tortured with lack of sleep lol. We didn't really care that much about ethics. If they still kept such records I'd so go for it. As long as I don't have to compete with that one dude and only had to go like 12 days

Yup I bet if people have gone a while with out sleep.. they have not reported it, that is all.

you won't die neccesarily not everyone's health is the same, and bodies.

Oh and yeah you are looking at someone who has had seizure oddin I am not looking at some stuff over the internet when I research ***thouruly about my health and what happened to me.

I have always been interested and the guy dasva was talking about was not having one, point is how do you know if he was having one.

Please please, again, unless you have head one, and done reports and school on them because of it, then I'll listen to you. Otherwise hush, I was concious when I had both of them those many years ago fool.... until the second one almost killed me, oh and I remember everything during them. So again hush I must have been dreaming yerp herp adurp, go away please.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-14 08:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

oh on more thing dasva was not saying you could not die, he was saying not every case has everyone dead, like I said if so I should be dead, or most people who get lack of sleep. It is possible to go that long with out sleeping, your mental state though or stress may be high, and I sure know I have gone longer oh noe, time to die!
 Valefor.Akitoshi
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Akitoshi 2010-09-14 10:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like someone needs a screen shot.

But on a different note:

Are you saying there is only one type of seizure, Stanflame? Or did I misread?
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 11:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

op said:
something

wtf man?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 11:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
op said:
something

wtf man?
darki, i see cleavage.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 11:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

me too~
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-14 11:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You are now aware that you are laughing your *** off at all the silly comments in this thread.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 11:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

vin wheres your avi from?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 11:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
vin wheres your avi from?
Airplane
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 11:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

it looks cool
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-14 11:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 11:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

wtf
 Valefor.Akitoshi
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Akitoshi 2010-09-14 11:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
op said:
something

wtf man?

Lol
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-14 18:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Yup I bet if people have gone a while with out sleep.. they have not reported it, that is all.

you won't die neccesarily not everyone's health is the same, and bodies.

Oh and yeah you are looking at someone who has had seizure oddin I am not looking at some stuff over the internet when I research ***thouruly about my health and what happened to me.

I have always been interested and the guy dasva was talking about was not having one, point is how do you know if he was having one.

Please please, again, unless you have head one, and done reports and school on them because of it, then I'll listen to you. Otherwise hush, I was concious when I had both of them those many years ago fool.... until the second one almost killed me, oh and I remember everything during them. So again hush I must have been dreaming yerp herp adurp, go away please.

lol...
 Asura.Limelyte
Server: Asura
user: Limelight
By Asura.Limelyte 2010-09-14 18:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I never sleep, it's a waste of exp.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-09-14 19:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:

.... bs because I have stayed up longer than 11 days, well I never recorded it or announced it though.

and that is not a accomplishment... it really is not.

***, and if so what were you on. If you can clearly describe to me in detail the "shadow people" you would have 100% seen after 4 days of sleep deprivation than perhaps I will believe you.

The longest I have gone is 6 with a power nap/s (20-60 minutes) included. After you have seen the shadow people they come out much sooner the next time you stay sleep deprived after 2-3 days straight. I was on a whole lot of crystal when I stayed up past 4 days, I know people who slammed crystal and did not stay up for 10 days.

The longest I've stayed awake sober (only caffeine) is 3 days. I regularly will stay awake 36 hours and go to work and everything as normal. I don't do it all the time, sometimes more frequent than others. Sometimes I'll go a few months without staying awake all night but sometimes I'll do it 3-4 times a month.

PS: I don't support drug use, I'm a recovering addict and will have 10 years sober next October. However I've dealt with insomnia for my whole life drugs just leap propelled it to the next level later on in my life.

PPS: I am being serious, I know it sounds ridiculous about the shadow people but if you've been there then you would know wtf I'm talking about it's the best way to describe this particular sleep deprivation induced hallucination.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-14 22:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

.... bs because I have stayed up longer than 11 days, well I never recorded it or announced it though.

and that is not a accomplishment... it really is not.

***, and if so what were you on. If you can clearly describe to me in detail the "shadow people" you would have 100% seen after 4 days of sleep deprivation than perhaps I will believe you.

The longest I have gone is 6 with a power nap/s (20-60 minutes) included. After you have seen the shadow people they come out much sooner the next time you stay sleep deprived after 2-3 days straight. I was on a whole lot of crystal when I stayed up past 4 days, I know people who slammed crystal and did not stay up for 10 days.

The longest I've stayed awake sober (only caffeine) is 3 days. I regularly will stay awake 36 hours and go to work and everything as normal. I don't do it all the time, sometimes more frequent than others. Sometimes I'll go a few months without staying awake all night but sometimes I'll do it 3-4 times a month.

PS: I don't support drug use, I'm a recovering addict and will have 10 years sober next October. However I've dealt with insomnia for my whole life drugs just leap propelled it to the next level later on in my life.

PPS: I am being serious, I know it sounds ridiculous about the shadow people but if you've been there then you would know wtf I'm talking about it's the best way to describe this particular sleep deprivation induced hallucination.

Don't bother with Stanflame. He won't bother reading your post in its entirety. He'll find the first thing he disagrees with then throw an insult, spout some personal experience and then insult you again.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-14 22:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I am now aware that you guys are full of more ***than I initially anticipated...
By yunalaysca 2010-09-14 22:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Oddly this thread made me think of..

is it wrong that after hearing this i went and downloaded the mp3?