users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New ISP, No FFXI, Looking for help
New ISP, No FFXI, Looking for help
 Cerberus.Drklighter
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-05 21:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Been dealing with this all weekend and I thought I'd post here to see if I could get suggestions to figure out what is going on. Here's the story, I live out in the country and our area is currently in the midst of getting fiber optic internet. Previously I had a satellite connection which ran FFXI, albeit very slowly. After talking with the company that will be providing this new internet, they tell me they now have a wireless connection to a tower (~1 mile from my house, clear shot to it too) and are getting some people hooked up to start a 'testing' phase. I agree to let them hook me up to their wireless tower and ditch my satellite connection. This past Friday that got me hooked up and the net was up and running. After they left I did the logical thing and promptly tried to run FFXI, but I couldn't even get logged into POL. I get POL-1160 Network is busy or there is a problem with the connection.

When they setup this new connection they reset my router, so I thought I'd start there, but everything seems to check out there. Firewall was not on and I made sure FFXI and POL were allowed access. I tried to bypass the router and wire in directly to the modem, but no luck. I contact my new ISP and they say that all the ports are available and nothing is being blocked on there end. The suggested I contact POL/FFXI for help, but it's they were closed for the weekend so no luck there. I try to uninstall/install POL, but that didn't worke ... then I, for whatever reason, uninstalled FFXI and reinstalled it, but of course that didn't work (looking back I'm not sure why I thought that'd work).

Now I'm at 6 phone calls with this ISP over the weekend that have all yielded no results. The name on the modem they gave me is 'Waverider' and the router I'm on is a Linksys wireless G broadband. One weird thing, that I'm not sure if it's related or not, is that I'm not able to access SE service and support page from their website. I can access their site and navigate it fine, but when I try to get to their support page ... I can't. I wanna get this figured out because this net is much faster than satellite and I definitely don't want to go crawling back to that as I hate how it cuts out during storms and has a terrible latency/lag, especially with ffxi.

So, thanks for reading this mess and if anyone has any useful information to pass along I'd greatly appreciate it. Oh, one more final note ... since this has happened I thought, "Well I'll just try to get in on the FFXIV open beta and forget FFXI", but I get the same issues when I try to download and get onto FFXIV ... a connection error, which sucks because I pre-ordered FFXIV CE on Thursday. Please help! Thanks.

Drklighter
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-09-05 21:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

it's obviously an issue with SE and your isp from what you've said, unfortunately neither is guaranteed to work with everything so unless both of their tech support teams are willing to work with you, you may be boned. To be honest I haven't tried the game on a Sat feed, but considering the uploads are horrible you may actually be better on dial-up, I used to play on it and the only things really horrible were besieged and updates.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-09-05 22:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

i used to play on dial up with a ps2 years ago, the game ran fine, but updates took huge amounts of time
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-07 22:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply ... I've determined that my new ISP is blocking the majority of the ports needed to run FFXI and FFXIV. Tomorrow I'll be on the phone having a nice conversation with them regarding opening said ports.

Oh, sorry for some poor gramar usage in my post ... frustration apparently makes me a poor typer.
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-09-07 23:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, sorry, I can't help, but I've always wondered if you got your name form Star Wars? Biggs or Gavin? /nerd :D
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-08 08:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Rofl ... It is Star Wars, Biggs Darklighter. Drklighter was originally a mule, but somehow became my main. Most people think it is from the show Charmed, which I never watched.
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-09-08 08:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Try using "HotSpot".....

if you can log into FFXI its a problem with your ISP.. if not its probably SE.

Its a Virtual Server baasically that avoids ur ISP's "blocking" settings as such
[+]
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-08 14:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

^ this . . . Worked, thanks!
By Halticus 2010-09-08 14:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

nice! im gald u finally got it to work, i myself had the same issue but it was w/ the linksys wireless router that was my problem. i contacted my ISP and had a landline installed w/ a DSL router and bam! the problem was solved. i too went through all the phone calls, all the ports, the firewall and such and all i got was my ISP blaming SE and vise versa. Idk if this helps, but being hardwired is where my issue was solved. I too am in Cerberus...cya around ^^
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-08 17:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the ISP is still having issues understanding it is their problem blocking ffxi ... they can't seem to see where they are blocking it. I'm running ffxi (updating atm) off of hotspot for the time being, but it seems to disconnect on me after so long. Thinking maybe it has an automatic disconnect after being idle so long. Hopefully I can at least get it updated and get my ISP to get the issue fixed.
 Cerberus.Drklighter
By Cerberus.Drklighter 2010-09-10 10:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Final post on this, problem solved, they were blocking SE's server IP address which blocked ffxi and ffxiv. They have allowed these and ffxi works, have not tried ffxiv yet. Just thought I'd post the final resolution in case anyone else has the same issue. Thanks for the help.
 Cerberus.Zevenn
user: TheZeven
By Cerberus.Zevenn 2010-09-10 11:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Make sure you demand recompense for time that service was not fully available. They admit the issue was on their end, and you are thus entitled to not have to pay for time when your primary use of the service (they don't have to know if it wasn't) was blocked.
[+]