Dinged Lvl 58, Am I Doing This Right?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Dinged lvl 58, am I doing this right?
Dinged lvl 58, am I doing this right?
 Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Lawson
By Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch 2010-08-10 11:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Needless to say I am happy as hell to finally have Auto-Refresh. However, the trait takes up a good amount of the spells I can set. My question is what DD spells should I be setting since I will be limited for a few lvls. I have been setting Mandibular Bite if /THF (will change to Death Scissors at 60), and Sickle Slash when I am /NIN (I like bursting MP Drainkiss off Gravitation). Just wondering if anyone thought if these were good to set atm, or could recommend something better. Thanks.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-08-10 12:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Jet stream can be good as well. If you have the set points, battle dance + uppercut will give you attack bonus for a better DoT (attack won't help your spells though :/) and uppercut can be a decent spell with lower mp costs than mandibular bite, sickle slash, or jet stream.
 Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch
By Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch 2010-08-10 12:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, i usually have Uppercut set for the STR/DEX bonus, and try to set Atk Bonus when solo. Really limited on set points atm if I wanna keep Auto-Refresh. But I'll get more points in 3 levels, and hopefully I can con some LS mates into helping me get Voracious Trunk for 64 lol.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2010-08-10 19:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lawson <3

Let me know when you are on and I'll help you with Voracious.

As for the offensive spells I set at that level range, I tend to favor Sneak Attack + Mandibular bite on birds.

It seems more mp efficient in comparison to Death Scissors and Dimensional death when you get to them. Sickle slash is great as well especially when you burst MPDrainkiss off it. I tend to only do it if both my CA and TP are close to each other, otherwise I'd just SA+CA+Mandibular bite because you'll end up either holding too much TP which could be used for vorpal/CA or end up waiting for 100TP and CA.

When do you get to DS and DD, I prefer DD with CA as it has a higher multiplier at 0TP. Unless of course you manage to save up 150+TP, then you can SA+CA+DS.

For non SA spells, mandibular bite, jet stream, and even bludgeon and feather storm are pretty mp efficient. (Especially as an elvaan)
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-10 19:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch said:
Yeah, i usually have Uppercut set for the STR/DEX bonus, and try to set Atk Bonus when solo. Really limited on set points atm if I wanna keep Auto-Refresh. But I'll get more points in 3 levels, and hopefully I can con some LS mates into helping me get Voracious Trunk for 64 lol.

Wouldn't worry too much about trunk, at least i wouldn't set it in standard xp pt's. It's got a rather long cast time & it'd almost certainly be better for pt to get whatever enhancement it is dispelled quick imo.

Main spell you wanna make sure to get asap is frenetic rip, you can actually solo it with some luck/skill between levels of 60-63 by killing the WEAK imps in caedevra. Should con about VT to 60, but I managed them with rather mediocre gear when i levelled blu, just take echo drops. Main problem is breaking horn... I think I randomly broke it with a pinecomb bomb lmao.. After trying tons of CA crit spells & 300% vorp blades >_>

Oh and also like you said death scissors at 60 is a must, CA DS for /thf, or you can even Vorp - DS for reverberation. I actually had one pt doing that on crawlers at Lv60.. But only because I was pt'ing with a BLM friend who wanted to MB Water3.

I think at your level I was using jet stream & sickle slash as main DD spells, but I don't honestly remember my old blue magic set up, but I DID always have auto-refresh set. I also used to bring a but load of juices to every pt incase we had no rdm / incompatent rdm. Faster MP returned is better than a large mp pool. TPing in MP sucks imo, need as much Acc as you can get in gear for blu TPing at that level. One handed acc sucks. Especially when you're /thf single wielding & casting spells = slow *** TP.. You don't be missing as well.

Hope this helps a little.

Edit: @ Ager's post. I generally stayed away from Bludgeon & DD as blu on bird's, due to the fact blunt damage is generally sucky. Bludgeon lost it's touch for me as soon as I hit lesser's, I found the damage wasn't worth the 30%TP gain, even if it was only 16mp. Not saying it's a terrible choice, I just personally preferred to save my mp from that to put to use elsewhere, as generally jet stream/sickle slash/mandibular bite/death scissors even with refresh & MP drainkiss can run your mp down a bit if you're using often^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 20:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
Wouldn't worry too much about trunk, at least i wouldn't set it in standard xp pt's. It's got a rather long cast time & it'd almost certainly be better for pt to get whatever enhancement it is dispelled quick imo.
It's used to set a slightly cheaper refresh trait at that level.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-10 20:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
It's used to set a slightly cheaper refresh trait at that level.

Ah fair point, I forgot about that. I've been sitting on the sea refresh for god knows how long. lol
 Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch
By Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch 2010-08-11 00:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, im not one of those dumbass blu's that full times full af set and tps in mp gear. I have some sword merits too which helps out. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Really starting to love this job, its a helluva lot of fun. My THF sub will actually be gimp soon, so need to get that puppy lvled asap (never really had a need to lvl it until now).

To Ager: I will def take you up on learning Voracious buddy.