Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Magnetite Cloud
Magnetite Cloud
By psynosis 2010-08-04 14:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering which staff to use for the grav on this spell? My guess would be wind but since its an earth based spell I'm not really sure. I know that its earth staff for damage but don't know if the grav would be wind or earth on this spell. Pretty sure it would be wind but just want to make sure before hand. Also which would be better for grav Magnetite Cloud or Mysterious Light? My guess is Magnetite Cloud since its longer range.
 Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-04 14:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Mysterious Light imo works well for less mp
although they both suck imo lol
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-08-04 14:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Mysterious light usually sticks more for me, but then again it's AoE so it can be dangerous depending on your situation.

When possible, you should use wiki to look up the elemental base for these spells.

Magnetite cloud is earth based, and mysterious light is wind based.
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-04 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Mysterious light usually sticks more for me, but then again it's AoE so it can be dangerous depending on your situation.

Bad Breath, Magnetite Cloud, Mysterious Light are all aoe unless you use Convergence. Mysterious light is just less mp with a chance of gravity not sticking but if your using Convergence it probably will stick every time.
By psynosis 2010-08-04 14:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

When possible, you should use wiki to look up the elemental base for these spells.

Well i didn't mean the spell its self i know its earth but what i want to know is if the gravity from the spell is treated as earth or wind?
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-04 14:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

psynosis said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

Well i didn't mean the spell its self i know its earth but what i want to know is if the gravity from the spell is treated as earth or wind?

one is a earth spell the other is a wind just with the same gravity added effect use the staff based on the spells element.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 14:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda hard to tell.

Additional effects on blu spells tend to follow the element that that additional effect usually is when it comes to resistance not the element of the blu spell.

But not sure if there has been testing on staffs for it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-04 14:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Slowly gathering data on this, but with everything else I'm trying to finish lately it's slow going. Hope to have results by the end of next week since after that I'll also have uni to contend with.
By psynosis 2010-08-04 14:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Slowly gathering data on this, but with everything else I'm trying to finish lately it's slow going. Hope to have results by the end of next week since after that I'll also have uni to contend with.
sweet. ill be doing a little testing later also when i go out to solo some harder nms.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Sey
Server: Cerberus
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-04 15:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If additional effect is base off of Magic Accuracy, then wouldn't a Earth Staff with a Earth spell increase Magic Acc?
I guess a good way to test it out is use Magnetite Cloud against a EM/TOUGH Ice Elemental and see how many times Gravity takes effect.

I tried Mysterious Light but you basically need to be too close for comfort to cast off.
 Cerberus.Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-04 15:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Also the same test can apply to Thunder Elementals also to see the % difference.
 Quetzalcoatl.Darkpsynosis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: psynosis
By Quetzalcoatl.Darkpsynosis 2010-08-04 15:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

just because the spell is earth dose not mean that the effect of gravity is going to be earth. as dasva said most the time the added effect is the same as the effect its self. mag cloud is earth but the gravity could be wind so you would use a wind staff for that effect to stick more not earth
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 15:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sey said:
If additional effect is base off of Magic Accuracy, then wouldn't a Earth Staff with a Earth spell increase Magic Acc? I guess a good way to test it out is use Magnetite Cloud against a EM/TOUGH Ice Elemental and see how many times Gravity takes effect.

I tried Mysterious Light but you basically need to be too close for comfort to cast off.
The problem is that blu does weird stuff like makes earth spells that give gravity. But easy simple testing will show you that the gravity effect is still wind based since I don't think can land it even on a TW ice elemental but you can land it on an earth elemental. Try headbutting a thunder elemental. Wont work

The real question is does it follow the same on +elemental macc which is a bit harder to test.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-04 15:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing with Head Butt is that it's physical not linked to another base spell. So thunder would be its factor. But this about the Magical Spells.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 15:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sey said:
The thing with Head Butt is that it's physical not linked to another base spell. So thunder would be its factor. But this about the Magical Spells.
Yes it has NO element.

But fine try regurgitation on ice resistant/immune mobs. Same thing will happen

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 15:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fact. And we don't get to make elemental affinity trial weapons!!! BS
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-08-04 15:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
It's kinda hard to tell.

Additional effects on blu spells tend to follow the element that that additional effect usually is when it comes to resistance not the element of the blu spell.

It's even harder because Earth and wind are related
Edit: Staves I mean. Wind offers an Earth decrease
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Sey said:
Yes it has NO element.

But fine try regurgitation on ice resistant/immune mobs. Same thing will happen

There is just a lack of BLU testing overall.

My BLU friend tried to tell me "Head Butt stun is affected by DEX, I tested it in 8 fights on Mangy-tailed Marvin". /facepalm!!!

He usually knows his ***, but he has these crazy theories about BLU which makes me wish theyd be proven wrong already
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-08-04 15:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fact. And we don't get to make elemental affinity trial weapons!!! BS

This -.-
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-08-04 16:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Make M.acc+12 Sword x2 and call it aday:o
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 16:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I was thinking more for nukes lol.

Also 1 HQ staff is still more macc then 2 of those swds
By psynosis 2010-08-04 18:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The swords are not really an option. Would be using staffs the whole time for soloing higher lvl nms and stuff like that so would need all the magic acc i can get. Regurgitation and mag cloud have always worked for me so just trying to get the most out of it to make things a little easier.
By Raldo 2010-08-05 11:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a bit late, but I just realized you could go team up for a bit with someone doing one of the Trial of the Magians m.acc staves once I read this on bg.
Quote:
Box Step counts as a wind debuff for the Wind M.acc Staff
If you can find someone who needs a killshot on something with a wind debuff (or whatever element debuff you're trying to test) on it, you could easily find out what element it is if it counts toward the completion of their trial or not.
 Sylph.Bethelhem
Server: Sylph
user: Beth
By Sylph.Bethelhem 2010-08-09 22:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Soo anyway just wanted to clear this all up for you boys.

First Head Butt's stun effect works like this;

Stun chance and duration seems to be related to INT difference between caster and target.

Next for the spells in question and what element are the effects based on it's this.

Magnetite Cloud (This is a Breath type spell)
Deals earth damage to enemies within a fan-shaped area originating from the caster.
Additional effect: Weight is wind based, only the initial damage is earth based.

Mysterious Light (This spell is CHR mod not INT)
Deals wind damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: Weight.

Due to it being a CHR stat mod the damage, and additional effect is your CHR - opponent's CHR with a multiplyer of 1

For any spell in the game the chance of resist is
Quote:
Resists lower magic damage negatively. A spell can be resisted only in these increments:

1/1 (No resist) 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 (Full resist)

An exact formula for resistance is unknown, but for elemental resists there are tiers which affect how often one resists that element. For example 320 resist is the known cap. When fighting Tiamat, with 320 fire resist Tiamat's magic damage will be fully resisted ~95% of the time.

Magic ACC seems to lower chance of resist. As does BLU's 2hour, best example BLU G5 fight and using Frost Breath.

Both Burst Affinity and Convergence increases magic accuracy as well.

That being said, there is not a 100% way to increase the duration of an addition effect. There are too many outside factors that effect the duration that using one type of equipment over another will work everytime.

One final thought, When looking at the ammount of MP that each spell costs, keep in mind that Magnetite Cloud is a Breath type spell, like all breath spells they have different set of rules when it comes to how much damage they can do. The only stat mod is your HP, yes they cost a lot of MP but they can do massive amounts of damage when not resisted.

Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-08-09 22:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Magnemite Cloud?

[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-17 13:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Staves do effect the base element of that add effect. See Blast Bomb for reference, bind easier to land on harder things w/ice staff.