First Page 2
 Cerberus.Juliusi
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: juliusi
By Cerberus.Juliusi 2010-08-03 23:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What made you guys come to the game?

during my high school i ever heard 2 ppl talking about this, "god *** i died at quifm island trying to solo BLM" i love being mages on games, so i go out to buy it, not knowing it was a MMO and not knowing i'll pay $13 a month, and i forsurly dint know ill get hooked. i hate my ears.
[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
Server: Leviathan
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-08-03 23:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

a few rl friends played it and i watched a few times and decided to get it for ps2 been hooked 4+ years lol
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-03 23:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

GaiaOnline forums. :/

A thread in Gaming Discussion, specifically for newbies to FFXI. They kept talking about it, so I did some reading and yeah, long story short, I'm hooked and I'm not even really sure why anymore. xO
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-03 23:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I worked at gamestop when it came out... we even had promotional stuff i still have lol.

I remember my coworkers being pissed off about being murdered by bunnies in the forest.

They didn't make it suffice to say lol.
 Shiva.Snojoe
Server: Shiva
user: snojoe
By Shiva.Snojoe 2010-08-03 23:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Friend had been playing it and beta testing a few other MMOs on PC, told me about this and it was coming out on PS2, I investigated and decided to give it a try, and here I am playing on 360 all these years later. (My current character is not the character I started with, though.)
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-03 23:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
I worked at gamestop when it came out... we even had promotional stuff i still have lol.

I remember my coworkers being pissed off about being murdered by bunnies in the forest.

They didn't make it suffice to say lol.
Ah, learning about /check the hard way, I do miss it. xDD
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-03 23:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I got the Xbox360 beta disc free with my subscription to Official Xbox Magazine.

I almost didn't try it out and would never have met some awesome people, but extreme boredom that day made me give it a chance.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-03 23:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bought a gaming mag that had info on FF10 and I saw this (and Kingdom Hearts lol) and figured I'd try it out when it was released. I later forgot about it but saw it in a store, imported from America and it was damned expensive for a game but I figured why not and I haven't regretted it >_>
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-08-03 23:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing because I love Final Fantasy lol When I first started I thought when you checked someone and their job had ???'s it meant they were too high in-comparison to you so you couldn't see their level. lol Like you were insignificant.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-03 23:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was/am a huge FF fan, and despite swearing I'd never play an MMO, I got it after my Grandpa died and we moved into his house where I was away from all of my friends.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-08-03 23:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

My husband bought the game for me as a Christmas present a few years ago. We've played together ever since.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By sinner88 2010-08-03 23:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i was looking for an decent RPG and i couldnt find any at the time. Game stop manager mentioned it to me and i loved all the other final fantasies(except X-2) so of course i was gonna buy it.i had just beat ff12 and and thought the home point crystal was a save point. my first MMO lmao XD
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-08-03 23:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series and at the time had no idea what an MMO was I just wanted to play the next FF game lol....
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-08-03 23:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cousins started playing it...then my brother started playing it, then I got into it.
Ramuh.Laffter said:

A thread in Gaming Discussion, specifically for newbies to FFXI. They kept talking about it, so I did some reading and yeah, long story short, I'm hooked and I'm not even really sure why anymore. xO
You should be ashamed...
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-03 23:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember seeing an OLD, OLD screenshot of "FFXI" which was just of a chat room where 'Cloud', 'Tifa', 'Squall', and a couple others were chatting. I remember thinking FFXI would be a mix of all past FFs or something. This was before FFIX or FFX came out or soething, VERY early.
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-03 23:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple of RL friends got me playing.

My first experience with the game was PLing one of said friends with the other's character. He did not survive.
They still tease me about Curing the sheep.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-03 23:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw something about it in a mag before I joined and when I got the money for a decent comp I thought meh sounds like cheap entertainment
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-03 23:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in a gaming group of friends that played PSO (Phantasy Star Online, for Dreamcast/Gamecube/etc.) and they wanted to try this out. The one who suggested it played through the Beta, so we followed him on his choice of server way back in 2003.

Oddly enough, a lot of the group still plays here on Fenrir and are in touch, even though he quit the game for WoW a while back. :p

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-04 00:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Cousins started playing it...then my brother started playing it, then I got into it.
Ramuh.Laffter said:

You should be ashamed...
Oh, I am. It was actually fun for a while, though. :P
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-08-04 00:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

This was my first MMO, and I have an addictive personality. Nuff said.

I won't buy another MMO, either. Because it's REALLY easy for me to get too involved.

Also this is my 3rd run at ffxi lol... lol, I think...
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-04 00:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said:

I won't buy another MMO, either. Because it's REALLY easy for me to get too involved.

Personality has nothing to do with addiction. I don't understand why people think this. FFXI is just a really good time-killer.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-04 00:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

my friends in the army pressured me into playing it as a way to keep in touch after the army put thousands of miles between us

closest thing to actually hanging out that i'm currently aware of
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-04 00:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you waste time, have fun, rage at idiots. It's really just like real life.

Except you can Firaga III the bullies this time around.
By chichi 2010-08-04 00:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

bored with life, looking for a way out, thought this would be the perfect opportuinty as it is a long lasting game. Played for about 5 years. quit. and back to being bored with life again..

/wrist
 Cerberus.Juliusi
Server: Cerberus
user: juliusi
By Cerberus.Juliusi 2010-08-04 00:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

yay i honestly thought i came into this game alone.
everyone came with friends :(
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-04 00:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in a Game Stop and remembered thinking "FFVII with people I could talk to."
 Siren.Catabolic
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-04 05:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Fenrir.Terminus said:

Personality has nothing to do with addiction. I don't understand why people think this. FFXI is just a really good time-killer.

A big chunk of your personality derives from your genetics. Addiction is also a genetic trait. He was right.

A friend got me into playing. They still play but not as much as I do :P
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-08-04 06:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I was not into mmorpgs. When I bought my "first" X360 (later I had to buy 2 more because machines dead) I saw FFXI on sale at cheap price attracted me to buy it. I was going to trash it if I didn't like, this was my decision. Though after all these years still my favorite video game (not only in mmorpg but considering all games and genres).

Later I tried WoW and Aion lately. I was suprised to find out such huge player database on those really weak games. FFXI is something special and will always stay that way. I must add it has unique community as well. Even some of you being jerks sometimes, you guys never can beat the ones in WoW hahaha...
First Page 2