Game: FFXI
user: juliusi
By Cerberus.Juliusi 2010-08-02 18:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Midgardsormr.Soki said:
Midgardsormr.Soki said:
you use the storage issue,
400 slots for items isn't enough for you?

Go count the number of jobs, the number of pieces of gear, and the situational yet useful pieces of gear. Then compare that to the slots.

Oh, and do not forget to include the items you may have on you things like linkshells, ninja tools, seals, food medicine, etc.

Yeah, there is not enough for really anyone with 3 or 4 capped jobs and you have to start not having things and buying them later or muling.

Agreements
 Quetzalcoatl.Behar
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Behar
By Quetzalcoatl.Behar 2010-08-02 18:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The space limitations for gear is not because of ps2 limitations, because they used to say that before the satchel and wow now we have a mog satchel (that you had to pay real life MONEY for in order to get mind you) Do you know how much money SE makes from peoples gear mules. Once again it all comes down to the money that SE is making.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-02 18:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

They can switch to a PC-specific, upgraded version of the game just fine, provided you guys are all willing to pay about $60 per character (everyone, even those not on PC), and are willing to wait 1-2 years for them to hire back a development team that they no longer have.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-02 18:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
They can switch to a PC-specific, upgraded version of the game just fine, provided you guys are all willing to pay about $60 per character (everyone, even those not on PC), and are willing to wait 1-2 years for them to hire back a development team that they no longer have.

We knew awhile ago SE was in the "cut our losses and go" stage of the game.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-02 18:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

All MMO's have large "dev" teams to get the product out the door, then they cut about 75% of their staff and go into what's called a "live" mode. Live teams generally only have enough technical chops to maintain the game, not make sweeping changes or recode core systems and engines.

Live teams generally make less, and tend to be more junior developers sometimes headed up by a few original Dev folks. Nobody who's a Dev Team Rock Star wants to be put on a Live team after release, as it's considered a demotion. They want to move on to the next product. MMO's typically don't bring in enough income to support an entire dev team post-launch. (We're extremely expensive.)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-02 18:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw that ninja edit!

Edit: both >_>
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-02 18:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Midgardsormr.Zenshiro said:
It's called Final Fantasy XIV the game is 8year old the coding is old. The game is

A: Going to die in 2-3years becuase now ffxiv is SE main game.
B: Become 6$ or less a month.
C: Become a F2P game with not much update.

If i have to guess i would go with A the game is just too old. FFXIV having ps3 limitation with video card becuase you need 512MB and ps3 only have 256mb so they have to fix it and lower the setting for ps3. FFXIV is a ps3 port becuase ffxi is just too old and take them too long to port it too ps3 so better of just making a new game.

As long as SE go on making game for pc and ps3/xbox we hit a dead end.
^
In before FFXI limitations!
nope, yer not.

Alluding to FFXI limitations is not the same as saying it!
Alluding?
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.
Just because it wasn't word for word doesn't mean it's already mentioned.
We are both just being contrary for the sake of it anyway lol.

Yeah you are a douche, and I accept that. Don't think you can sleep with me though.

oh there wouldn't be any sleeping involved once I'm done with yah ;)
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-02 18:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
All MMO's have large "dev" teams to get the product out the door, then they cut about 75% of their staff and go into what's called a "live" mode. Live teams generally only have enough technical chops to maintain the game, not make sweeping changes or recode core systems and engines.

Live teams generally make less, and tend to be more junior developers sometimes headed up by a few original Dev folks. Nobody who's a Dev Team Rock Star wants to be put on a Live team after release, as it's considered a demotion. They want to move on to the next product. MMO's typically don't bring in enough income to support an entire dev team post-launch. (We're extremely expensive.)

So once an MMO is out and up running, they tend to not keep the folks who can make necessary core changes to better the game down the line should demands/expectations change? Seems like a shot in the foot, but a sad state of reality.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-02 18:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
All MMO's have large "dev" teams to get the product out the door, then they cut about 75% of their staff and go into what's called a "live" mode. Live teams generally only have enough technical chops to maintain the game, not make sweeping changes or recode core systems and engines. Live teams generally make less, and tend to be more junior developers sometimes headed up by a few original Dev folks. Nobody who's a Dev Team Rock Star wants to be put on a Live team after release, as it's considered a demotion. They want to move on to the next product.

I just pictured some JP dude in tight leather pants, a sparkly vest and sunglasses busting through the Dev dept. door at SE, and all the other employees wispering "Oh ***! That *** can edit like a son of a ***!"

Anyway, I'm gonna make a guess that had SE kept their full developmental phase staff, that we'd either pay more somewhere and/or we'd still be looking forward to FFXIII, only to be disappoint.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-02 18:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

We could tell that their team was spread thin, especially when peeps of Rapture came out. Little did we know all the good guys were workin on something new while leaving us already playing with their old guinea pig high and dry.
 Cerberus.Juliusi
Server: Cerberus
user: juliusi
By Cerberus.Juliusi 2010-08-02 18:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
All MMO's have large "dev" teams to get the product out the door, then they cut about 75% of their staff and go into what's called a "live" mode. Live teams generally only have enough technical chops to maintain the game, not make sweeping changes or recode core systems and engines. Live teams generally make less, and tend to be more junior developers sometimes headed up by a few original Dev folks. Nobody who's a Dev Team Rock Star wants to be put on a Live team after release, as it's considered a demotion. They want to move on to the next product.

I just pictured some JP dude in tight leather pants, a sparkly vest and sunglasses busting through the Dev dept. door at SE, and all the other employees wispering "Oh ***! That *** can edit like a son of a ***!"

Anyway, I'm gonna make a guess that had SE kept their full developmental phase staff, that we'd either pay more somewhere and/or we'd still be looking forward to FFXIII, only to be disappoint.

lmao when you said you picture a jp guy i swear i picture edward from twilight im sorry lol

the "sparkly" vest got me
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-02 18:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
My best guess is that the Star Wars MMO is currently burning up to a million dollars a day in crunch dev budget. FFXI could support this level of dev team if everyone wanted to pay upwards of $190 a month.

Fenrir.Tool said:
So once an MMO is out and up running, they tend to not keep the folks who can make necessary core changes to better the game down the line should demands/expectations change? Seems like a shot in the foot, but a sad state of reality.
Correct. Usually they don't fire these people, they move them to other projects. If there's an expansion planned or an emergency, they can move them back, but it all depends on cross-game scheduling and logistics. It's never terribly agile.

The average turnover for an MMO developer is about 2-4 years at any one given company. You will occasionally find longer, especially at a company known for chains of mega-hits like Blizzard. But generally those with the core knowledge of how the game works are gone and off to other companies a few years after release.
 Quetzalcoatl.Behar
By Quetzalcoatl.Behar 2010-08-02 18:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Live teams generally only have enough technical chops to maintain the game, not make sweeping changes or recode core systems and engines.

Yet they have been on FF14 since '05/'06 and we have had incredible sweeping changes especially the level cap going up.

I think he means core major code changes, aka graphical changes, or for the sake of argument a new battle systems ect, those types of changes, a new expasion and levels is pretty minor in the *** scheme of things because the core code is already there...
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-02 18:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Behar said:
I think he means core major code changes, aka graphical changes, or for the sake of argument a new battle systems ect, those types of changes, a new expasion and levels is pretty minor in the *** scheme of things because the core code is already there...
Yup.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-02 18:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
My best guess is that the Star Wars MMO is currently burning up to a million dollars a day in crunch dev budget. FFXI could support this level of dev team if everyone wanted to pay upwards of $190 a month.

You trying to say I'm wrong?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-02 18:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally, there is a difference between "developing" and "content." Developing, for instance, is writing the battle system. Content is adding a new skill to said combat system after release.

If the game is architected intelligently, the original developers have created a modular system to add new content and behaviors on the fly without needing a core programmer. For instance, World of Warcraft uses Lua. That way, someone without much coding skill, like a Designer or a Writer, can go in and add new skills, abilities, items, etc once the core developers have all moved on shortly after launch.

Raising a level cap is likely just flipping a switch, then pouring on a bunch of designers and content monkeys to write a bunch of new items, skills, abilities, etc into Microsoft Excel and making sure it's balanced.

Similarly, making a new zone, quest, monsters, etc, is usually a similar modular system. You're not re-coding the server just to add a new kind of Uber Dhamel that breathes fire.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-02 19:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Uber Dhamel that breathes fire.

I was gonna say something funny... But there is simply no need to after something like this being said.
 Quetzalcoatl.Behar
By Quetzalcoatl.Behar 2010-08-02 19:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Generally, there is a difference between "developing" and "content." Developing, for instance, is writing the battle system. Content is adding a new skill to said combat system after release.

If the game is architected intelligently, the original developers have created a modular system to add new content and behaviors on the fly without needing a core programmer. For instance, World of Warcraft uses Lua. That way, someone without much coding skill, like a Designer or a Writer, can go in and add new skills, abilities, items, etc once the core developers have all moved on shortly after launch.

Raising a level cap is likely just flipping a switch, then pouring on a bunch of designers and content monkeys to write a bunch of new items, skills, abilities, etc into Microsoft Excel and making sure it's balanced.

Similarly, making a new zone, quest, monsters, etc, is usually a similar modular system. You're not re-coding the server just to add a new kind of Uber Dhamel that breathes fire.
He said it right !

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Behar
By Quetzalcoatl.Behar 2010-08-02 19:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Makes sense, I am not a programmer nor are most of the critics and if we understood things like that more then there be so much less bitching.

That is prolly one of the most intelligent things I've herd today.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-02 19:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

They should at least add new areas and not reskin them in every expansion :/ (I'M LOOKING AT YOU WOTG/ABYSSEA)
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-02 19:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Behar said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Makes sense, I am not a programmer nor are most of the critics and if we understood things like that more then there be so much less bitching.
That is prolly one of the most intelligent things I've herd today.

"I concur, isotopes is the ***, brah."
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-02 19:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I really want Eagleeyes to make a picture of a fire breathing elvaan dhamel.
 Quetzalcoatl.Behar
By Quetzalcoatl.Behar 2010-08-02 19:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
They should at least add new areas and not reskin them in every expansion :/ (I'M LOOKING AT YOU WOTG/ABYSSEA)
I agree but i think it has a lot to do with final fantasy 14, and they feel its not worth their time and effort into new area's.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-02 19:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside of those obviously :P Yeah I like the WotG areas but I still wanted some new areas like with CoP and ToAU. The past-only areas are cool (especially Vunkerl) and I would've liked some more of those.

Post deleted by User.