Forum » FFXI » General » convert damage question
convert damage question
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2010-07-21 00:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

On 'convert damage' taken items such as Ethereal Earring, does the damage converted get completely negated and then given as increase to the thing it is converted to?

Ex: Ethereal Earring: converts 3% damage into MP. Given an attack that should hit for 100 unrestricted, would the wearer instead take 97 dmg and receive 3 mp, or would they take 100 dmg and receive 3 mp?

Basically does this earring act as a -3% damage earring and if it does does this -3% damage still work if the job doesnt have any mp?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-21 00:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you still take the regular damage.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2010-07-21 01:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for answering. please forgive me for asking... but how does one check this out? Before asking the question I was trying to figure out a way to test this.

Also I cant find it but I thought there was (or is going to be) a 'magic shield' spell (or ability) that converts damage into subtraction from mp. Im very hazy on this and like I said I couldnt readily find it. But if its how I described it then why wouldnt they both work the same way? obviously taking both hp and mp damage would be a multiplication and a useless spell (or ability) to have.

thanks again
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-07-21 01:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Go eat 1000 needles and see if you took less then 1000 dmg? that should be good enough
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-07-21 02:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pukushu said:
Also I cant find it but I thought there was (or is going to be) a 'magic shield' spell (or ability) that converts damage into subtraction from mp. Im very hazy on this and like I said I couldnt readily find it.thanks again
BLMs have a new ability called Mana Wall that halves incoming damage and then subtracts it from your MP.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-07-21 03:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

with ethereal, it doesnt negate 3% dmg
i use it almost 100% of the time on PLD

if u were to take 1000 dmg u would take the full 1000dmg and get a 30mp return