Info Source For Noobs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Info source for noobs?
Info source for noobs?
 Leviathan.Helix
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 12:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Def good point on the WS +acc. I think I'll drop the Exorcist hose (i'll mule them for now) and just keep the perle brayettes on. That will give +7 acc over hose and I'll only lose the +3 str on ws.

For the full perle on tp set I have a question. Is the +2% haste I'll gain worth the hp/mp and +att I'll lose on turban and dusk? Really, just asking.

And another question.

I said earlier I had started the "punisher" path for the OAT axe in TotM. I was wondering about something else here. I have done "Up in arms" (3x bst/whm with fungie jugs)so many times I could puke...never got a K.club. I was thinking about camping Lord of Onzozo for Octa club...I know Bst only has a "C" club skill but thought it might come in handy...however, I have read ALOT of conflicting opinions about the usefulness of either one of these "occasionally attacks 2-8 times" clubs...Info?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-17 12:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Perle with Swift:
DEF +179
DEX +14
VIT +10
Enmity +4
Accuracy +21
Haste +18%
STR +22
Attack +20
Critical hit rate +2%

Vs your TP set:

DEF +171
STR +19
DEX +9
Attack +12
Accuracy +30
Haste +16%
Critical hit rate +2%
[Element: Fire] +18
"Store TP" +5
"Regain"
HP +75
Decreases movement speed 0
Evasion +4
VIT +5
Enmity +2
MP +30
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-07-17 12:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as your club question goes... k.club is only good in situational times. Drk, rng probably have the most use of the club tbh. Drk for of course zerging. And rng (not full time for tp building) but as a way to quickly and cheaply gain tp for ws on ranged weapons.

I've seen some wars use them from time to time offhand with axe main (seems silly to me as you don't get the full effect of speed if offhanding and can only do 8 hits max regardless anyways.)

Bst i can't see the reason of using it as your only gonna feed mob tp and probably take hate off your tamed beast or jug pet. (assuming your soloing)

I've heard nins can have use of it as well but honestly don't know enough about ninja as a whole to say if it is worth getting a k.club.
 Fenrir.Eneas
Server: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2010-07-17 12:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

try this link

http://kanican.livejournal.com/13235.html

really technical if you wanna get into it
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 13:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Will do.

I just made a new tp set based on a full perle base and all my other junk added to it. Can someone smarter than me take a look at them and tell me advantages/disadvantages as a bst/whm?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I def see the melee advantages with def, acc, etc...but I know I'm weird having a dd main and a mage sub.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-17 13:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd work on different earrings and acc/rajas and probably a forager's mantle instead of fourth. Tiphia for ammo maybe.

Edit: Maybe have some MP gear in it as well for casting cures etc
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-07-17 13:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Helix said:
Will do.

I just made a new tp set based on a full perle base and all my other junk added to it. Can someone smarter than me take a look at them and tell me advantages/disadvantages as a bst/whm?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I def see the melee advantages with def, acc, etc...but I know I'm weird having a dd main and a mage sub.

I'm guessing Fight Set is your tp set?
Also what weapon are you using?

Is rajas ring out of the question?
Is brutal earring possible to get?
How much gil do you think you can put into this set to improve it?

These are your sets posted here for easy viewing:

Fight

WS Set

Full Perle

Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 13:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol...that's a good question. I have 3 axes, 4 if you count the work in progress Totm. Solo I am usually Leopard. I have a woodville and another axe but I won't name it here, I keep it for stupid reasons. When I was bst/nin I usually main handed woody and off handed maneater...but I sold the maneater before the prices plummeted (should I get another one?)...

Leopard gives me +chr and +str and woody gives me +str and spell interruption down...always a good thing when soloing /mage or /nin.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 13:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

For the back piece. I could write in the Foragers mantle. I got the 4th div mantle for campaign obviously but when making the tp set, i figged +2 stp was better than zero there.

As a side note, to me, the 4th div mantle in campaign is the f'ing bomb! In another thread here, folks are arguing about campaign takes too long, campaign is too short >.<. With this piece, I love it when there is a lull in action and tags are still on...not only am i getting my overflow xp but I am standing there building tp...just stand there (whistle, dance a jig)...when the next wave shows up I've got tp in the bank waiting on them!

Edit: Also in Campaign, I use an item occasionally that is not reflected in these sets, the shield collar. It has a separate macro and I only pull it in if my pet dies and I am getting hammered for cool down on "call beast" timer...shield collar is +4 vitality, +25 vitality in campaign
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-07-17 13:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Helix said:
Lol...that's a good question. I have 3 axes, 4 if you count the work in progress Totm. Solo I am usually Leopard. I have a woodville and another axe but I won't name it here, I keep it for stupid reasons. When I was bst/nin I usually main handed woody and off handed maneater...but I sold the maneater before the prices plummeted (should I get another one?)...

Leopard gives me chr and str and woody gives me str and spell interruption down...always a good thing when soloing /mage or /nin.

Looking at this as a WAR (the only job I have that I can remotely compare BST to ><'), I would use Maneater personally (offhand Woodvilles when /NIN), though while you don't own one now, it may be better to stick with Woodville's and use the gil on other upgrades until you're done.

I would look into eliminating your earrings and back piece for TP'ing, you're missing 1 STP to be able to knock a hit off your race to 100% TP, so the extra STP isn't helping much. I made a quick mock-up of some relatively easy-to-get TP gear that I feel would be a vast improvement.

This would give you a 13-hit build (opposed to 14 hit), allow you to drop 1 STP from it and maintain your 13-hit (I'm guessing Chiv Chain > PCC or some such when you get it).

The rings, while not doing anything negative to your TP gain directly, are lowering your accuracy. Personally I'd change them to Sniper's(or +1)/Woodsmans/Toreadors (this is along with Sniper's +1, they may be a little pricier than you can spare atm).

There are a lot of potential upgrades in the itemset I mocked up, but I personally think it would be an attainable set that would do better =)~
 Alexander.Nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-07-17 13:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Try aiming for that Glyph Axe, it doesn't seem that hard to get.

I personally think Maneater > Woodville's.
If your using Rampage as your WS, ACC and ATT on maneater will do more than str+3 or 4.
Unfortunately you won't have enough STP for maneater to drop a hit without sacrificing too much gear. So stick to Woodville's or Leapord.
Once you get Rajas, defintely go to Maneater.

With Maneater or Glyph, you'd need 6stp to take a hit off.
With Leopard or Woodville's you need 2stp.

Try to aim for this set as a next goal set, its not too overly hard to get.

With your current gear and not spending a fortune, you can try this set.

Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-07-17 14:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a few comments from questions I randomly noticed while skimming.

If you're looking for new weapons, the following two are pretty high end, yet free and easily (relatively) attainable if you have a bit of time to put in:
Trial_1301
Trial_1292
I would say 1292 is easier, but 1301 is better.
For the magian weapons, the "augmented" part just means that it is augmented from the base. You get the augments they say automatically after doing the appropriate trial.

The Haste that you would get from full Perle is greater than whatever other benefits Wala is giving you. If you get Byakko's Haidate, that will change, but for now go full perle. Haste is almost always the right answer. (For your purposes you could probably generally assume that haste is always the right answer in the TP phase, and gear accordingly).

The BG that people are referring to for getting information is the BlueGartr forums. It's the best source of high level information about pretty much anything in the game. But it's akin to rl in that you're probably going to work your way up there. Like going to high school before college. Try reading/skimming through guides on here/alla/wiki before you make your way over there. A lot of ppl bash BG as being jerks or whatever, but if you post questions politely in the appropriate threads, you'll generally get polite responses in return. You're probably going to want to look at the Stickied thread "Random Question" and "What's Better".
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-17 14:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Helix said:
Is the +2% haste I'll gain worth the hp/mp and +att I'll lose on turban and dusk? Really, just asking.

Yes, 2% haste would be better if you're TPing/meleeing.

Basically, if you're TP/meleeing, you want to gear with haste and accuracy. Accuracy to actually land your hits (there is a cap of 95% hit rate, by the way), and haste so that you can attack faster. As a result: do more hits over time, more Weaponskills and more damage over time, as well as generally kill faster. (specially true the higher your haste% is etc. )

Haste has increasing returns. The more you have of it, the better it gets. Additionally, having 50% haste does not mean attacking 50% faster. In reality, having 50% haste makes you attack twice as fast. This is because haste is actually a direct decrease to your weapon delay (without messing with your original TP per hit). Therefore, you're decreasing your weapon delay by 50% ...thus attacking twice as fast.

Haste also has a cap of 80% ;however, gear haste cap is 25% (though you would need 26% due to particular gear pieces giving slightly less due to haste working on a n/1024 scale)

Going back to your particular gear:

The attack you lose by switching from dusk hand and feet to full perle... will be 9 attack; however, the combination of perle hands and feet also gives you STR+9 and DEX+5.

For every point of STR, you get 0.5 attack, and for every point of Dex you get 0.5 accuracy. (for 2-handed jobs it is 0.75 though)

Thus you're also getting +4.5 attack (from the STR+9) from Perle hands + feet and +2.5 accuracy (from the DEX+5) from Perle hands + feet... and you also gain haste+2% by using the full set(Full perle gives you +14% haste). In comparison, you lose 4.5 attack from the dusk hand and feet, but you gain: haste+2%, Str+9, Dex+5, and +2.5 accuracy from the DEX.

The rest, I think people have already covered for you. Forager's mantle/amemet mantle +1, new earrings(Attack/accuracy, though brutal earring when you can get it, of course), new accuracy rings (unless you know for a fact that you're capping your accuracy) etc.

Good luck.

Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 14:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a very good point and again my ignorance shines thru. I never really thought of stp as a means to remove a hit, rather as a means to get you into the higher percentages faster.

Ex. of my madness:

at 100 to 170ish tp, my rampages vary from high 500's to low 700's
at 170 to 240ish, I'm going 700 to 900

here's where it gets weird
at 240 to 300, my rampages have wildly varied from 925 to 1550 (my highest rampage ever against a em or higher mob)

I will look into this gear, I need to put a few days of farming into the equation...been working missions, quests, campaigns and funding is low at the mo....lol
 Alexander.Nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-07-17 14:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a quick rework of your WS Set that should improve your rampages.

If you know your capping ACC, switch to pure attack food instead of pizza
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 14:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are great man! I like to think I'm not stupid, just misinformed and on the wrong tangent...this is great info!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 14:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Nepharite said:
Here's a quick rework of your WS Set that should improve your rampages.

Invalid Item Set

If you know your capping ACC, switch to pure attack food instead of pizza
Given the mobs he's probably fighting if meleeing, Warwolf Belt should be just fine for the leg slot and it'll give more damage and possibly critrate.

Add Brutal Earring and Rajas Ring once you get Sea.
Leviathan.Helix said:
That is a very good point and again my ignorance shines thru. I never really thought of stp as a means to remove a hit, rather as a means to get you into the higher percentages faster.

Ex. of my madness:

at 100 to 170ish tp, my rampages vary from high 500's to low 700's
at 170 to 240ish, I'm going 700 to 900

here's where it gets weird
at 240 to 300, my rampages have wildly varied from 925 to 1550 (my highest rampage ever against a em or higher mob)

I will look into this gear, I need to put a few days of farming into the equation...been working missions, quests, campaigns and funding is low at the mo....lol
Might have just been a random WS where all your hits crit and you got a DA or something. When the stars align, crit WS can be very powerful. The low variance previously suggests your critrate was fairly low, which could be improved by adding some DEX in if the mob has favorably low AGI.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-17 14:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you guys have been so cool, i'll tell you the story of my "secret" axe...the one I prob oughta sell to finance the advice I have been given....but prob won't.

A long time ago, when I was bst/nin and using woody/maneater, this friend of mine...who I thought knew everything there was to know...tells me "You need to get a juggie dude, that is what separates the average bst from the top tier"

Like a dipshit, I listened...I spent weeks farming and got a juggie for around a mil...and thought I got a good deal.

I sold off maneater and started using juggie offhand...I was not impressed...it was better...marginally...Yes i could see a difference but was it worth a million?...not hardly.

Now the prices on juggie are less than half of what I spent...I think I'll put the f'ing thing on the mantle in my moghouse with a label that reads "First place for gullibility"....
By Ryuke 2010-07-17 15:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For "noob" >>>>>>>>>
 Alexander.Nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-07-17 15:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Defintely sell that juggy. The sooner the better.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-18 01:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryuke said:
For "noob" >>>>>>>>>
Thats just rich
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-18 13:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well here is a good question. I campaign alot cause it's fun...I have a pretty good understanding now of how the xp works and I thought I understood how the "system" worked for gaining and losing areas....wrong.

I log in today expecting to see certain areas lost because no one ever goes there...i.e. Pashow, crawlers nest, eldieme necropolis and garbage shitadel...they are a pain in the *** to tag into so ppl just dont go there for the most part...

I was not expecting to see what I saw...Leviathan lost the northlands...all of them...wtf?

There is like 80 ppl in xarc and glacier constantly nowadays...how the hell could that happen? Waves and NM's get killed so fast it's pretty much a joke... I'm thinking these areas don't really fall into the normal path of participation the other areas do...I think the servers just randomly choose if these areas are owned by allied forces or not...

anyone else have a clue?
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-18 13:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

woot!...we now have a full perle set with all my other crap...yeah i pretty much farmed all night so I dropped the cash as soon as I got it...
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-07-18 13:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I sent the dusk gear and exorcist hose to a mule in case i decide to lvl drk or war up...I have to say...I do not miss the reduced movement speed of dusk gear...lol...I like this...yes i look like I am one of the perle army batallion thats running around but...hey...numbers work for me