Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU Solo Sky Farming
BLU Solo Sky Farming
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-07 15:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I popped Despot twice yesterday, first time was right before Sky started, so at around 50% I had to turn it reluctantly over to my linkshell. Sky ended quick, and after about 5 hours since last death, he popped again. I solo'd that one completely, and then {Team Up}'d with some nice strangers to skill up on Diorites. We only got one, but it fell to me, so I guess my question is:

Is it possible to solo Ulli? Click Here - This makes me believe it's possible, but even with Mag. Def. Bonus Job Trait, I'd worry about Banishga, I can't remember how painful it is.

Also, does anyone think Zippy would be soloable using the following method, but replacing all those Medications with Battery Charge?

Bahamut.Valencea
Server: Bahamut
user: Valencea
By Bahamut.Valencea 2010-07-07 15:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I want his regurgitation set =x
 Shiva.Khimaira
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-07 15:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Figured I should post my lolSet if there are any NEEDED upgrades. Haven't really put any effort into my set admittedly :l

Edit: Don't laugh at my shame ring :(
 Bahamut.Valencea
By Bahamut.Valencea 2010-07-07 15:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres a decent neckpiece that drops off some Ahriman in Rangeumont pass(sp?).
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-07-07 15:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Gloom Eye drops Wit Pendant, but that's for RDM or SCH, if that is what you might have meant?
 Shiva.Khimaira
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-07 15:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Valencea said:
Theres a decent neckpiece that drops off some Ahriman in Rangeumont pass(sp?).

This RDM/SCH only neck piece >.>?
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-07-07 15:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

my set:

Had a good friend of mine synth me that neck piece >.>

edit: on the other option you might be able to aim for a prudence torque since most blm's probably won't want that now... but you'll have to go against other jobs like sch :/
 Bahamut.Valencea
By Bahamut.Valencea 2010-07-07 16:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

said it was decent, wasn't the best =x since i can't afford a lmg. medallion D=
 Fenrir.Vazerus
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-07-07 16:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It might be decent, yes, but not something blu can use ;)
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-07 16:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Is it possible to solo Ulli? Click Here - This makes me believe it's possible, but even with Mag. Def. Bonus Job Trait, I'd worry about Banishga, I can't remember how painful it is.
Should be, bring MDT gear if you're that worried about damage.
Shiva.Khimaira said:

Figured I should post my lolSet if there are any NEEDED upgrades. Haven't really put any effort into my set admittedly :l

Penitent's Rope when Obi isn't active, Bugard Strap +1, Philomath Stole/Uggy Pendant as appropriate, Yigit/Errant/RSE2 hands, at least get a Diamond Ring for the second slot... and HQ your water staff. Teal Chapeau, Phantom Tathlum, Helenus/Cassandra's Earring set, and general HQs are other things you could work on.
Alexander.Jeffreyjelly said:
my set:

Had a good friend of mine synth me that neck piece >.>

edit: on the other option you might be able to aim for a prudence torque since most blm's probably won't want that now... but you'll have to go against other jobs like sch :/
Nice set; why would SCH care about Prudence? They can wear Lemegeton too.
 Siren.Itachi
Server: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2010-07-07 16:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

my set:

I have a set similar to this but i throw in af body+1 instead of errant. Would it be a better idea to forget the huge blue magic skill bonus and stick with errant?
 Bahamut.Valencea
By Bahamut.Valencea 2010-07-07 16:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Vazerus said:
It might be decent, yes, but not something blu can use ;)

omg i totally assumed it was all jobs, my bad then =x
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-07 16:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Itachi said:
my set:

I have a set similar to this but i throw in af body 1 instead of errant. Would it be a better idea to forget the huge blue magic skill bonus and stick with errant?
Yes. Resist rate would have to be well above 50% for AF body to be superior, and if you're getting that level of resists you shouldn't be nuking at all...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-07 16:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

"Is it possible to solo Ulli? Click Here - This makes me believe it's possible, but even with Mag. Def. Bonus Job Trait, I'd worry about Banishga, I can't remember how painful it is."

A BLU has already solo'd Ulli, before even this new update, so I feel that it'd be extremely easy now. You do just like RDM/NIN would do. Kite around and around in teleporter room.

You'd probably need /nin in case you mess up and not outrun a Heavy Strike. The Banishga III is extremely weak, as long as you keep shadows up and your distance, you can likely get by with just setting Regeneration as healing. I would let it walk close enough to trigger Heavy Strike, then OOR it, then run back close so you can put Disseverment poison on it while it's standing around being stupid.

With our new refresh, you can probably add up damage with Regurgitation as well.

EDIT: When I went to sky the other night on BLU, it was bunches of fun. BLU can solo Steam Cleaner in like 10-15mins(or less with better gear than mine I'm sure) vs. what took me a grueling 25mins on RDM.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2010-07-07 17:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Nice set; why would SCH care about Prudence? They can wear Lemegeton too.
I just... rofl...
lmao /facepalm
yeah all jobs keep forgetting... it's so nice :<
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-07 17:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Yes. Resist rate would have to be well above 50% for AF body to be superior, and if you're getting that level of resists you shouldn't be nuking at all...

Now I feel like a newb.. I always used af body/relic head presuming best for bind acc, guess I need to alter my build ~.~ Don't use magical blu much, so never really looked into it further than mods..
 Valefor.Grozny
Server: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-07-07 17:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Now I feel like a newb.. I always used af body/relic head presuming best for bind acc, guess I need to alter my build ~.~ Don't use magical blu much, so never really looked into it further than mods..

Well, if your merits are up to date you might want to keep the extra skill on til you merit your blu skill, and macc.
 Shiva.Khimaira
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-07 18:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Should be, bring MDT gear if you're that worried about damage.
Shiva.Khimaira said:

Penitent's Rope when Obi isn't active, Bugard Strap 1, Philomath Stole/Uggy Pendant as appropriate, Yigit/Errant/RSE2 hands, at least get a Diamond Ring for the second slot... and HQ your water staff. Teal Chapeau, Phantom Tathlum, Helenus/Cassandra's Earring set, and general HQs are other things you could work on.

Oh, yeah I know what improvements I want to make, I just don't have the resources to do most of them right now, was wondering if there are any needed.

Basically what I'm getting from this thread is:
- Minimal MDB/MDT gear
- Regeneration to counteract Banishga/Diaga
- /NIN
- Regurgitation Kite (a given)
- Disseverment if possible (probably won't due this due to I tend to panic in high intensity situations and would f*ck it up)

Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-07-07 21:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

When I solo ***up in sky, I lean towards bind accuracy than nuke accuracy. I prefer blastbomb for bind and regurgitation for damage.

AF should give about 10macc over errant body, 7 over teal, making it an obvious bind/resist piece.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-08 05:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So yeah, I was going to link you to that screenshot before I noticed you'd already done it... So yes, soloing Ulli is possible.

It really wasn't particularly hard, just annoying. It was basically just a w.legs kite around the teleporter with disseverement poison. Put up shadows, run in to disseverement then run out again. You wouldn't even need w.legs though because he stops to cast so often. Regurgitation was mainly used to bind him long enough to put up metallic body and get back some MP. Diaga was a bigger pain in the butt than banishga because of that fact, but having said that, I wouldn't have been so hard pressed for MP if I didn't have to keep curing myself from banishga I guess. With another 5 levels of skill and battery charge (none of the other new spells would really make a big difference I think, it'd just be quicker. I think it took me about an hour due to having no MP for long stretches and having to do nothing but kite for long stretches waiting on 2mp/tic refresh.

If you do need to bind and /heal, bind him behind the teleporter and rest in the hallway so that you're out of his casting range.

He wasn't particularly hard, just annoying due to having constant dia. Banishga wasn't overly powerful, but I put dark staff into my idle build for that tiny boost to dark resistance.

I've never bothered to try Zipacna or Faust, but Faust used to hurt me pretty bad when killing it with my LS, so even at 80 I'm still not particularly keen to try, especially not with the cost, recast, casting range and duration of blu grav.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-07-08 09:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

@Khimaira what was your current skill set when u did this and Cheesey?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-08 09:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, after actually watching the video, I'm interested...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-08 14:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Oh, yeah I know what improvements I want to make, I just don't have the resources to do most of them right now, was wondering if there are any needed.
Yeah, actual INT/MND/MAB gear in several slots along with an HQ staff.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-08 14:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tell you what piece I really like for Blue Mage, but happens to fall short for most other mage jobs that can wear it.

Ixion Cloak

It's a really versatile piece, especially considering if you're serious about Blue Mage, you'll likely be extremely cramped for space in your inventory. Good for idle regen+refresh, good INT/MND piece without the VIT penalties(so a good curing piece), +5 MACC with the INT/MND for landing accurate nukes without sacrificing damage mods. The biggest downside is wondering if you should keep your Errant around for hMP or not.

I'll agree that there are better combinations of hat and head for different situations, but I've yet to find one that is as space saving and versatile as this piece.
 Shiva.Khimaira
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-12 17:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Made some upgrades, but I didn't end up trying to solo Ulli. I need kitty pants for MNK so I pussied out and went with 3 friends, instead of risking my Diorite.
Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate said:
@Khimaira what was your current skill set when u did this and Cheesey?

My skill is capped and fully merited, don't bother to open it to check the exact numbers, but now at 80 its more than 300 without AF body. I think you were talking about Blazza though.
Odin.Blazza said:
With another 5 levels of skill and battery charge (none of the other new spells would really make a big difference I think, it'd just be quicker. I think it took me about an hour due to having no MP for long stretches and having to do nothing but kite for long stretches waiting on 2mp/tic refresh.

If you do need to bind and /heal, bind him behind the teleporter and rest in the hallway so that you're out of his casting range.

He wasn't particularly hard, just annoying due to having constant dia. Banishga wasn't overly powerful, but I put dark staff into my idle build for that tiny boost to dark resistance.

I've never bothered to try Zipacna or Faust, but Faust used to hurt me pretty bad when killing it with my LS, so even at 80 I'm still not particularly keen to try, especially not with the cost, recast, casting range and duration of blu grav.

Casting time is pretty f*cked too, but as for other new spells making a difference; Regeneration could help a lot for healing so you dont need to burn your MP with Fruit/Embrace.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-13 01:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

There's mine. Obviously could use some upgrades, but it works.
 Ragnarok.Gekuz
Server: Ragnarok
user: Gekuz
By Ragnarok.Gekuz 2010-07-18 05:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

well i'm Elvaan and you know that INT isn't ours highest stats, however i've soloead zipacna with no problem, just bring with you a Pro-Ether or some Potion to recover avoiding the waste of mp, than battery charge and regurgitation will be enough for zipacna. you just need to wait a bit longer after you have the recast of regurgitation ready, avoid the use of Refueling or Animating Waill they are totaly a waste of mp and time. i think that Ulli won't be very different from zipacna