Value/Profit Calculation
 Caitsith.Eriina
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Eriina
By Caitsith.Eriina 2008-02-03 21:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello~

Had a few questions about the value and profit calculations as shown in the recipe lists for each individual item.

The value of a single item in a recipe seems to be calculated at 1/12 the avg price of a stack (which makes sense as most things are sold in stacks). Is this where the value is calculated from? If so, how often is it updated?

Often times i see a value that reflects neither the single item value nor the 1/12 stack value.

Lets take Coctrice meat On Caitsith for example: median price for a single is 1000gil. 1/12 stack price is actually 1083gil. However, the value is listed at only 955. The synth is calculated as being profitable when it actually may not be.

Now, 5~100 gil difference isn't such a big deal, but other synths have great variances of thousands of gil. In an extreme example; Bememoth leather is valued at 950,000 in recipes but actually sells for a median average of 1,200,000. As a result it lists at a profit of 274,000gil per synth when 24,000 profit is really more accurate. At least it's not a loss!

Anyway, I'm not sure why this discrepancy occurs. I'm guessing its the difficulty of coding a calculation that takes both singles and stacks into account and weighing them appropriately. Or perhaps the coding is perfect and it simply updates more slowly than the individual sales, leading to differences as prices change.

Anyway, i love this feature of this site. Of course i can (and do) go back and recalculate each ingredient individually to be sure the synth is actually a profit for me, but i could also sit on the ah and check all the prices and do the whole process from scratch. Is there anyway to make the value/profit calculation for recipes more accurate?

I could be just misinterpreting the data as well. If I am, any tips on how to more accurately use this great tool on this site?

Thanks!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-02-07 12:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The discrepancy happens because the median value used for computing the profit/loss calculations is calculated and partitioned off different time intervals than the value displayed on the individual item pages. This is because while calculating median values in real-time for a single item off a single user request is not terribly intensive, generating median values across potentially thousands of items at once to display the synthing charts, every time a user requested those pages, would bring the database server to its knees. So the top-level profit/loss calculations can frequently lag in absolute accuracy by a day or more, rather than going to each page manually and calculating it yourself off the most current info.
 Caitsith.Eriina
Server: Caitsith
user: Eriina
By Caitsith.Eriina 2008-02-09 01:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah ok, yeah i kinda figured it must be something along those lines. I'll just keep using it as a general "divining rod", but then really crunch the up to the minute numbers myself.

Again, love this feature^^
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [2546 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-28 16:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Would have been nice if NPC value was used instead of AH value for items commonly sold by NPCs....
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-01-28 16:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Would have been nice if NPC value was used instead of AH value for items commonly sold by NPCs....

2546 days since this thread was posted in. That has to be a record, right?
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2015-01-28 16:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG, 7y necro.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-28 16:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

You searching dead threads to necro, admit it!
By Nazrious 2015-01-28 16:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
mathy sounding words.

/Run Away
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-01-28 17:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***. I was a teenager when this thread got posted.