Forum » FFXI » General » windsows 7 + ffxi
windsows 7 + ffxi
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2010-06-28 04:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Was wondering if anyone knew how to get a better resolution and crisper image on ffxi while using windows 7 i just got a new laptop with 1366x768 resolution and i changed the setting as such but it looks like im trying to play the game on an NES. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated, thank you.

(also on a side note if anyone knoews how to get the windower to work on windows 7 that would be great too, and for those who feel like trying to give me a lesson on morals + ethics about using the windower, don't even bother wasting my time because i really don't care :) )
 Leviathan.Powerslave
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2010-06-28 04:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The only trouble I had with getting windower to work for me with 7 was that a message asking for permission would always pop up before allowing it to launch, leading to it not launching at all. To fix that I just had to go to control panel>user account>UAC and make it so that it doesn't ask you to allow it.
 Asura.Shiroineko
By Asura.Shiroineko 2010-06-28 04:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patriclis said:
Was wondering if anyone knew how to get a better resolution and crisper image on ffxi while using windows 7 i just got a new laptop with 1366x768 resolution and i changed the setting as such but it looks like im trying to play the game on an NES. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated, thank you.

(also on a side note if anyone knoews how to get the windower to work on windows 7 that would be great too, and for those who feel like trying to give me a lesson on morals ethics about using the windower, don't even bother wasting my time because i really don't care :) )

This. right here. I need help with everything he just mentioned lol >.>
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-28 04:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Disable UAC [google search "disabling UAC in Windows 7"]

Restart your PC

Download and install Windower

Run "Windower GUI"

Input your custom resolution.

Enjoy the game!
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-06-28 04:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

you'll need the Win7 patch from windower website and do one or 2 little adjustments as per the website .. usually works.

Cerberus.Hayai
Server: Cerberus
user: Hayai
By Cerberus.Hayai 2010-06-28 04:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

1st off... You should disbale UAC all together >.> 2ndly the newest version of windower should work for windows 7 because it has the updated hook.dll if your using an older version make sure you dl that and the patch available @ se website for "vista" cause it works the same for windows 7, also id suggest going to windowers forums and getting aikars ffxiuimod and selecting widescreen version, to make your game not look so choppy you should choose the highest background resolution 1024x1024~
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-06-28 04:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

open up Regedit. Start-Menu in the search bar type in Regedit.
go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > PlayOnlineEU (or PlayOnlineUS) > SquareEnix > FinalFantasyXI. In That registry are several keys. the only one you need to do is the "0001" and the "0002" one. Doubleclick on them. you have to enter the Resolution you want in Hex.

for example i would youse the max resolution my Laptop can make, so 1366x768. "1366" in Hex is "556" and "768" is "300". if you want the highest setting just type in 800 in the field of value for they key and youre good to go.
 Cerberus.Hayai
By Cerberus.Hayai 2010-06-28 04:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said:
open up Regedit. Start-Menu in the search bar type in Regedit.
go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > PlayOnlineEU (or PlayOnlineUS) > SquareEnix > FinalFantasyXI. In That registry are several keys. the only one you need to do is the "0001" and the "0002" one. Doubleclick on them. you have to enter the Resolution you want in Hex.

for example i would youse the max resolution my Laptop can make, so 1366x768. "1366" in Hex is "556" and "768" is "300". if you want the highest setting just type in 800 in the field of value for they key and youre good to go.

you can also just click on decimal and use the exact numbers to make it easier instead of trying to figure out the hex values, for me though when I did this my overlay is too small and i cant barely see the text on my chat field etc
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-28 04:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hayai said:
1st off... You should disbale UAC all together >.> 2ndly the newest version of windower should work for windows 7 because it has the updated hook.dll if your using an older version make sure you dl that and the patch available @ se website for "vista" cause it works the same for windows 7, also id suggest going to windowers forums and getting aikars ffxiuimod and selecting widescreen version, to make your game not look so choppy you should choose the highest background resolution 1024x1024~
The highest 3D resolution the game can render is actually 2048x2048.
 Cerberus.Hayai
By Cerberus.Hayai 2010-06-28 04:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

you are correct but unless they have a top end gfx card it could make it burn out, id rather be safe than spending $$$ on a gfx card
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
Server: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2010-06-28 04:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Is completely disabling UAC wise?

Also, my windower crashes whenever I open things such as Apradar, or other PC games. Would this be the only way to fix this problem or is there another?
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-28 05:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Ilolatyou said:
Is completely disabling UAC wise?

Also, my windower crashes whenever I open things such as Apradar, or other PC games. Would this be the only way to fix this problem or is there another?
UAC was designed to prevent idiots from pressing the install button on virus.exe by adding the extra line of hand holding protection *beep beep* *screen fades to black* "Are you sure you want to install virus.exe"

As long as you have some sort of anti-virus software, free or otherwise that you keep updated, don't let idiots on your PC and run a spyware/adware/malware search once in a while you should be good.

OP I'd also recommend you set the 3D resolution to exactly what your monitor resolution is so no scaling has to be done.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2010-06-28 05:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I do have the resolution set to 1366x768 and the background to 1024x104 but everything is scrunched up and whatnot
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2010-06-28 05:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As for windower, when i open it, it just loads regular pol + ffxi when i have ffxi in SE's windowed mode

If i don't have it in windowed mode, then the game crashes if i try to alt-tab (found that this is only with the character select screen)

also when i load from the gui and hit "llaunch game" it says "Registry key does not exist" but it proceeds to launch the game anyways
 Cerberus.Hayai
By Cerberus.Hayai 2010-06-28 05:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

right click > run as administrator, and try changing your config in game make sure its 16:9 that may help the "scrunched up"
 Remora.Deezell
Server: Remora
user: Deezell
By Remora.Deezell 2010-06-28 06:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a windower prob that kinna off topic from this.... my menus are ***, it doesnt show my satchel when i have windower runnin (but i can get into it by hittin my dbox and my dbox from change jobs and so forth) cant change jobs at nomads or cant check my missions as well. I know its a windower thing cause i reinstalled and it worked fine then installed windower again and it went back to the same ***. Anyone have any ideas?
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-29 02:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patriclis said:
As for windower, when i open it, it just loads regular pol ffxi when i have ffxi in SE's windowed mode

If i don't have it in windowed mode, then the game crashes if i try to alt-tab (found that this is only with the character select screen)

also when i load from the gui and hit "llaunch game" it says "Registry key does not exist" but it proceeds to launch the game anyways
Are you on x64 or x32 version of windows?
 Asura.Santanah
user: SantanaK6
By Asura.Santanah 2010-06-29 09:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Deezell said:
I have a windower prob that kinna off topic from this.... my menus are ***, it doesnt show my satchel when i have windower runnin (but i can get into it by hittin my dbox and my dbox from change jobs and so forth) cant change jobs at nomads or cant check my missions as well. I know its a windower thing cause i reinstalled and it worked fine then installed windower again and it went back to the same ***. Anyone have any ideas?

This happens if you install an old version of someting that changes the UI (FFXI Style did this to me). And by old, I mean anything before the Satchel was released. Are you using something other than Windower, like .dat swaps, to alter your UI? Are you sure it's the latest version?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-06-29 09:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rinkydink said:
you'll need the Win7 patch from windower website and do one or 2 little adjustments as per the website .. usually works.
Just wanted to add to what someone else said about this not being necessary. I never downloaded a separate patch/.dll file. I only downloaded and installed windower itself.
 Titan.Wombat
Server: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-06-29 09:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hayai said:
right click > run as administrator
This
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
Server: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2010-06-29 11:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

there is no reason to disable your UIC, you should be able to just adjust your permissions so any one can use it, the UIC is just letting you open something that has privileges above what you are logged in as.
 Remora.Deezell
Server: Remora
user: Deezell
By Remora.Deezell 2010-06-30 07:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

thanx sant that actually did work.... for some reason I had v 1.12 or some ***... oh well thanx again