Personal FFXI Site - Ageha Inspired (Beta Testing)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Personal FFXI Site - Ageha Inspired (Beta Testing)
Personal FFXI Site - Ageha Inspired (Beta Testing)
First Page 2
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright so ever since the version update was announced i had been doing quite a bit of planning in terms of where i wanted to go with FFXI in general. I always enjoyed other people's sites/blogs so i wanted to create one for myself.

With all of the new things come to pass i will finally and officially retire all of my level 75 jobs with the exception of Samurai (Main) and Whitemage (secondary). I don't physically enjoy the other jobs nearly as much as these two and can't wait to finally focus again on two jobs i love.

Many of you may or may not know me from the community forums, and you may or may not have noticed a few things i have been posting lately in terms of data collection/input... With that being said i appreciate all the helpful feedback and discussion.

Anywaysssss:

http://ffxi.clinpachi.com

Rather than just show off I would like to invite everyone to input criticism, spell check me, or offer suggestions you feel would work out. As the title of the website suggests this is indeed the 7th website i have ever made... and probably the second one i've ever actually finished.

I modeled the website after the new Samurai weapon skill Tachi: Ageha... let's hope it doesn't suck too much lol. But i feel i brought the design together perfectly. The music i selected is called "Asian Lights" from an album called "Secrets Of Zen". I wanted it to feel calm and not all crazy techno or anything.

I was happy to be able to finish this on the very morning of the version update. I started work on this about the time they "officially" announced the cap raise to 80 on the POL site. (So this has been in production for about 10 days.)

But enough of the formalities... the things i need most are the following site checks anyone is willing to perform if they are bored:

1) Does the site load properly and did you see a preloader?

2) Does the site fit in you're browser properly. (Is anything cut off?)

3) Did all of the tab links work and display pages properly?

4) Did you experience any glitches or problems?

5) Did i misspell anything?

6) What do you suggest i add/remove/fix?

Things i have fixed recently

1) The ability to turn on/off music on top right corner (Next to the links tab).

2) When launching a youtube video the music automatically mutes itself.

3) I added a preloader with total size information.

4) I fixed minor roll over issues with the tabs.

5) Fixing some grammar (you're/your lol) (Still working on this)

Things i plan to add still

1) Missions and Quests information.

2) Comics and Cartoons as they are made soon.

3) A link on the intro page near my characters feet for a blog/journal entry section where i post updates/news.

Being a frequent person who lurks/posts on this forum i will no doubt encounter people who will flame me or call me out on certain things... regardless i appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me beta test the site so that i can fully publish/store the files on the server. Harsh criticism is welcome and i thank you all again for you're time in reading.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Do NOT click the petition link on the blacklist page... it leads to lemonparty.org which is along the lines of tubgirl.com ect...

You were warned lol.
 Siren.Krystale
user: vaness
By Siren.Krystale 2010-06-21 05:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

WoW its really awesome! just weird tho, a Bit professional for a game xD
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Krystale said:
WoW its really awesome! just weird tho, a Bit professional for a game xD
you think so? (/.\) Thanks very much though lol.

Oh and also for anyone who has issues... don't forget to post the following information:

Which OS are you running, which browser/version, and what desktop resolution do you run.

Those are the things most important to testing this.
 Bismarck.Touvan
Server: Bismarck
user: Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-06-21 05:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Great job on the site. I really like what you did with the item sets and Amanomurakumo progress. Really like the music too.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Touvan said:
Great job on the site. I really like what you did with the item sets and Amanomurakumo progress. Really like the music too.
:) thanks, i tried to do something completely original. The reason this is only the second site i've ever completed is because i never usually think it's good enough so i scrap it and start over from scratch.

I enjoy the way it turned out i just want to make sure it WORKS properly for everyone. Hence the beta test.

^_^ thanks :D i've been a bit nervous about releasing this for criticism/testing lol. I don't usually do this.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
Server: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-06-21 05:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, you really put alot of work into this, very impressive. Bookmarked it, looking forward to seeing how the rest of it comes together!
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-06-21 05:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Good site. Love the music.

You mixed some your/you're on the dl page. You also might want to put a small message on the "game achievements" page.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-06-21 05:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just Clin's plot to take over Vana'diel moving into action.

Edit: Can the music be off by default? =o

Edit 2: Lol'd at the link at the bottom of the Blacklist page.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Good site. Love the music.

You mixed some your/you're on the dl page. You also might want to put a small message on the "game achievements" page.
I love when i mix your/you're up lol. Noted and will be fixed after i receive more feedback.
Asura.Daleterrence said:

lmao! At this time music cannot be off by default or remember settings via cookies just yet. That is something i can look into though.

Thanks guys i was especially worried about cross platform browsers such as chrome working properly.

I might lay down for a few since i feel slightly sick because i worked the entire night through just to get this thing up on the day of the update.

Keep the reviews/input coming and i REALLY appreciate the feedback. Already have a few good things noted to fix.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:

Oh ***i forgot all about that, Nobody click the link at the bottom of the blacklist page (petition) unless you enjoy lemonparty.org
 Diabolos.Renavi
Server: Diabolos
user: Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-06-21 05:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Site looks amazing.. Very nice lol
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-06-21 05:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

Oh ***i forgot all about that, Nobody click the link at the bottom of the blacklist page (petition) unless you enjoy lemonparty.org

Lmao, nice Clin, nice.
 Caitsith.Cyberglider
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Cyberglider 2010-06-21 05:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just an amazing site. What did you do it in if you don't mind my asking?
 Asura.Kowen
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-21 05:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks great and works fine for me (Google Chrome). I've seen your Linkshell website before too, and that also had a really cool design.

The only thing I don't care for is the use of all capitals everywhere.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Cyberglider said:
That's just an amazing site. What did you do it in if you don't mind my asking?
Adobe Flash CS5 Entirely 100% minus the fact i had to use Altana Viewer and Photoshop CS5 to import game graphics.

If i was stuck on a desert island where my computer worked and could only run one thing it would be Adobe Flash lol.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 05:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
It looks great and works fine for me (Google Chrome). I've seen your Linkshell website before too, and that also had a really cool design.

I'm bad about capitalization in certain areas as well as the awesome Your/You're lmao.

Not afraid to admit that screwed me a couple letter grades in college english rofl.

Where did the capitalization mostly strike you as annoying or improper?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-21 06:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

Too late, and no, I don't enjoy it.. Nice touch but I really would've prefered a warning <_<
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 06:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Was there any thought or is it possible for you to use, say, in your itemsets the javascript provided by ffxiah.com for things like the mouseover for each item description?

Or would you just prefer it to link directly to an item set in that one link?

Had someone ask, after I showed them your site, so jw ^^

Edit: Could be wrong, but I think it involves http://www.ffxiah.com/js/ffxiahify.js.. I forget..
I could hand code it... but with the update and many gear changes coming up soon without a doubt... i didn't see a reason to do that just yet... the link to the set works for this moment.

It's a valid question that i asked myself if i wanted to do... but that's too much manual work in flash for this moment.
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-21 06:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Kowen said:

I'm bad about capitalization in certain areas as well as the awesome Your/You're lmao.

Not afraid to admit that screwed me a couple letter grades in college english rofl.

It's not annoying at all. It looks great for the titles and headings, but I guess I think it's just a little odd to use it for the longer paragraphs too. If you were going to add a blog to the site, I don't think you should write it with all capitals.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 06:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

Too late, and no, I don't enjoy it.. Nice touch but I really would've prefered a warning <_<

I updated the link under the OP to warn people... that completely skipped my mind as it was something i did days ago as a self joke lol.

Sorry about that.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 06:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Kowen said:

It's not annoying at all. It looks great for the titles and headings, but I guess I think it's just a little odd to use it for the longer paragraphs too. If you were going to add a blog to the site, I don't think you should write it with all capitals.

The blog will likely open in a new tab as well... probably wordpress with a matching theme to my site. It won't be harder/more stressful on the eyes to read like i know this site can be in large doses.

Yeah the title/headings feel proper with the capitalization. I get what you mean now thanks ^^
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-21 06:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

On an unrelated note I'm going to lie down for a bit, i overdid it trying to get this done by this morning.

More feedback/problems to read/fix when i get back would be amazing and thanks for the comments/input this far.

It helps feel like my work paid off lol.
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-21 06:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Kowen said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Asura.Kowen said:

The blog will likely open in a new tab as well... probably wordpress with a matching theme to my site. It won't be harder/more stressful on the eyes to read like i know this site can be in large doses.

Yeah the title/headings feel proper with the capitalization. I get what you mean now thanks ^^

No problem. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending at all. It looks awesome and it's a million times better than anything I could do. >_>

Did you learn/do web design professionally, or just as a hobby? I think your interfaces would look great in games too.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-23 18:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I apparently have a LOT of gear fixes to make along with other adjustments to the combat skill images... SAM is almost 80 so i will get that screen update soon.

I'd also like to point this out from a fan on siren:
Siren.Jingles said:
Such a fancy website for such a mediocre player. :/ Shows him in full Hachiryu, but he can't even get HQ Amemet Mantle.

I already replied on my own page to that but i guess reading iz hard... it even specifically states that i sold gear due to update making things obsolete/down on price.

Which i was right i get to make a few changes/edits to sets now soon.

Outside of FFXIAH i've received quite a few messages and thanks to everyone on those as well as the spell checks on you're vs yours lol. I saw this image in a thread and it made me lol quite a bit:

Anyhoo if anyone else can point out any issues just let me know... this got kinda lost with all the new update ***from the very same day.
Asura.Kowen said:
Did you learn/do web design professionally, or just as a hobby? I think your interfaces would look great in games too.

I did freelance work before college... but i learned a few tricks on my own AND in college recently that allowed me to push design ideas a bit further.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-23 18:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and also.. shame ageha *** sucks sofar lmao... *womp wompppppppppppp.*
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-06-23 18:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

sry can't say much to that site besides: *** awesome. this is really a really nice site listing up a ton of infos about your character.

like the stageview of your relic btw.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-23 18:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said:
sry can't say much to that site besides: *** awesome. this is really a really nice site listing up a ton of infos about your character.

like the stageview of your relic btw.
That page and the Job pages probably took the longest... you'd be surprised how hard it is to be original on some things lol. Thanks though. Did everything view ok? nothing cut off?
First Page 2