Forum » FFXI » General » Bermuda Triangle in Northern San d'Oria
Bermuda Triangle in Northern San d'Oria
 Asura.Thanquol
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Thanquol
By Asura.Thanquol 2010-06-09 22:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In the past few weeks, this has happened to my brother twice and to myself twice too. I leave my MogHouse in Southern San d'Oria head to the gate for Signet, then the AH for supplies, then I make my way to Northern San d'Oria to use the OutPost NPC. I zone into Northern San d'Oria and start running towards the NPC Jeanvirgaud. About half way there, my PS2 freezes up and everything turns black. Both times for my brother and myself it seems to be the exact same place.
Very Weird.
Anyone else experience this?
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-06-09 22:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played on PS2 for quite some time, but I can say that PC doesn't seem to be affected by your issue. Made the same run several times today with no problems at all. :o
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-09 22:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The PS2 version of the game has a hard drive, right?

It's entirely possible that a freak accident has corrupted a certain texture used only in that zone. As soon as your client comes within clippable render range of the surface in question, and it attempts to load it into the video buffer, it crashes your console. PS2's have virtually no error recovery mechanism for graphical errors in the pipeline -- it's pretty much always fatal.

Is there any way to reinstall to the HD off the disk or similar?
[+]
 Seraph.Corrderio
Server: Seraph
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-06-09 22:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Is there any way to reinstall to the HD off the disk or similar?
You might be able to using the same process you would to install expansions on the PS2. I never tried it so I can't say for sure. If that doesn't work might have to remove everything on the HD then take hours to install/update everything again.

I'm not sure if it's a fault in the HDD or not, however I had a corrupted file come out of the blue myself when I used to play on PS2 where I couldn't open that one gate in the reef with a lamina fang key. The server gave me the "Your key breaks!" message however the gates never opened nor could I pass through them.