Japanese Rear Money (Not Inappropriate...I Hope)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Japanese Rear Money (Not Inappropriate...I hope)
Japanese Rear Money (Not Inappropriate...I hope)
 Leviathan.Scorch
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Scorch 2010-05-29 01:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this "Rear Money" ?

[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-29 01:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Rear translated to them is more of a way of saying "under" in the sense of being underground or otherworldly; hence relating to dynamis currency.

However, most of us see it in the sense of being a rear end lol.
 Leviathan.Scorch
By Leviathan.Scorch 2010-05-29 01:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh well that clears things up, didn't make sense to me I was thinking back money but that didn't make sense.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-29 01:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a lot of incorrect usage of the auto-translator between languages.

One that really bugs me is when english speakers use "<May><bee>" for maybe.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-29 01:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember alot of people saying {Limit}{Break} {Help me out!}
Which if I recall correctly, to the JP would look more like:

{Limit}{Vacation}{OMG HALP DONT LET ME DIE!}
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-29 01:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh I bet it looked like: {Pet treat}10k
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-29 01:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The Japanese word for <Reward> is specifically meant for a pet (something lower than yourself), so it's actually rude to use that one.
[+]
 Leviathan.Scorch
By Leviathan.Scorch 2010-05-29 02:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
An insignificant one that's always bothered me is that people use {Reward} as in the BST JA when offering a reward, rather than the {Reward:} one.

I have no idea what {Reward} actually translates to in JP...but why use it when {Reward:} is right there? lol

And the {May}{bee} one has always bothered me too.

The extra tab is too much
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-05-29 02:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
An insignificant one that's always bothered me is that people use {Reward} as in the BST JA when offering a reward, rather than the {Reward:} one. I have no idea what {Reward} actually translates to in JP...but why use it when {Reward:} is right there? lol And the {May}{bee} one has always bothered me too.
{Reward} has been used because {Reward:} was only added somewhat recently to the auto-translator.
[+]
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-05-29 07:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

{Reward} is the JA, thats why its there incase you want to say like. <pet> {Reward} {pethpp} in an chat message so people know what you're doing.

{Reward:} is like, a reward for help.

As everyone else said tho, no idea what it looks like to JP players, but thats how to look at it anyway.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-29 07:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said:
{Reward} has been used because {Reward:} was only added somewhat recently to the auto-translator.

This^
{Reward:} came out around the same time ToAU did because JP were complaining about EN people using {Reward} so much for teleports and such, which they found to be very rude.

I wouldn't say it was recent though lol. That was several years ago. About 80% of the people who play nowdays probably started after TOAU's release anyways. They just weren't around for the update notice saying to use {Reward:} instead, so they probably have no idea why its even there.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-29 08:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty childish to complain over such a small thing imo. Better to complain about stuff not being instanced instead of "rude" language.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-05-29 08:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
It's pretty childish to complain over such a small thing imo. Better to complain about stuff not being instanced instead of "rude" language.

It's not childish at all if it's lost in translation.

Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-29 08:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

"The Japanese word for <Reward> is specifically meant for a pet (something lower than yourself), so it's actually rude to use that one."

Means they knew what it meant but complained that it was "rude". Better things to complain about that actually matter.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-29 08:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well catnipthief, they knew what reward meant to us... They were complaining because of what it means to them. Which is kind of childish in a way. If you know exactly what the person using the word means, even though it has a differing meaning to you, then who cares?

It's the same as them always complaining about /check. Because the message says "stares fixatedly at you" instead of "examines you." Who cares? Turn the filter on if you're a crybaby about the message SE's JP staff chose to use. It is very childish to make a big deal over things that don't matter at all. And no, before someone says it, I'm not making a big deal about them doing so lol. I'm simply trying to explain the matter.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-29 08:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hardly worth complaining about when they could be complaining about Dynamis, ToAU rings etc (back then).
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-05-30 13:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

"I wouldn't say it was recent though lol. That was several years ago. About 80% of the people who play nowdays probably started after TOAU's release anyways. They just weren't around for the update notice saying to use {Reward:} instead, so they probably have no idea why its even there."

Not hardly. It was only added in an update within the last year. Trying to find the update notes right now.

edited cause quote button not working -.-
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-05-30 13:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You're welcome and Welcome Back were added April 2006.

Reward: was added in the same patch.

Reward translates roughly to pet food. So you used to offer a Japanese person gil to go buy "pet food", as if they were seen as animals.

Edit: At OP. Your second post should have cleared it up a little if you know the story of the game. The autotranslate in FFXI is iffy at best, but you said "back money". Before gil was used, each nation had its own currency. So from a loosely technical point...back money is correct because it is from the past. @_@
By semimmortal 2010-05-30 13:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one using "You can have this."?

<me>: {Hello!} {Teleport-Vahzl} {Can I have it?} 2000G {You can have this.}

And boom, instant invite.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-05-30 13:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Am I the only one using "You can have this."?

<me>: {Hello!} {Teleport-Vahzl} {Can I have it?} 2000G {You can have this.}

And boom, instant invite.

tele service is dead on carby, try 10k and you might get someone to tele you lol
 Ramuh.Herrmann
Server: Ramuh
user: Herrmann
By Ramuh.Herrmann 2010-05-30 18:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***, for 10k a tele i'd sit in there all day.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-30 19:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Rear translated to them is more of a way of saying "under" in the sense of being underground or otherworldly; hence relating to dynamis currency.

However, most of us see it in the sense of being a rear end lol.
The word in Japanese is "ura," which means rear or reverse, but it's often used figuratively in the language rather than literally. For instance, "ura imi" means a hidden, usually darker meaning, to what someone says.

The JP version of FF11 refers to Dynamis as "ura sekai," or the darker, mirrored version of the real world.

I know it might come as a shock to most users on these forums, but some cultures actually see word choice and interpersonal relationships on teh intarwebz as pretty srs bzns -- equally important as the ceaseless attainment of virtual phat lewts.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-30 19:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I know it might come as a shock to most users on these forums, but some cultures actually see word choice and interpersonal relationships on teh intarwebz as pretty srs bzns --
I don't see why more people don't. Just go on like it's all just pretend
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-30 19:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I know it might come as a shock to most users on these forums, but some cultures actually see word choice and interpersonal relationships on teh intarwebz as pretty srs bzns --
I don't see why more people don't. Just go on like it's all just pretend

Sure, real people are playing but there are other things to complain about. One tiny word is stupid to send in complaints about when there are much much larger issues to be solved. Word usage is pretty important in all languages but that doesn't mean it's not silly to complain about which words are in auto-translate and which aren't.