Forum » FFXI » General » Go ahead, ask me the pt set up
Go ahead, ask me the pt set up
 Gilgamesh.Funsam
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2010-05-27 17:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

don't diss the bsts. if you actually look at the damage they can do for bst & master they can out dd most dd's in xp party.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-27 17:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen some excellent BSTs do great DD when combined with pet dmg. I don't rule them out, but one has to prove their skill/decent gear to fit the requisite as a DD in a party.

Too often I've seen BSTs try to DD in full charm gear -_-
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 17:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a 41 bst... you don't really know much about it tbh. In an exp pt not really. At 75 is a different story, their pets can do some very nice dmg on certain things. For instance I saw a spider pet do some sick dmg to Kirin, pets follow kited mobs extremely well, but no in exp pts they are not that great. No one is dissing them, you just don't understand that just because a master job has a pet, it doesn't mean it dishes out uber dmg. What I personally was saying was that GIMP geared bst are inviting me to GIMP exp pts. Their not just gimp because ti has one bst, which is gimp, but because they usually have 2 bst, no rdm ect.

Maybe at low levels where all jobs do ***dmg, but it seems you're on bst/nin which I hope isn't for exp, cause /war is gonna pull more dmg, even /drg for acc bonus. Dualing weapons doesn't mean double dmg, it just adds on the delay of the other weapon, only with suppi or nin main are u gonna get a delay cut or speed increase off dual-wielding.

If the bst/nin wasn't for exp and it was for soloing, i'd level whm btw, much faster on exp because you don't have to rest as much when ur hp gets low.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Funsam
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2010-05-27 17:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

pup is the same & very misunderstood for a very long time. but since last update they more common in partys now. on gigla seems everyone levelling it somedays.

Just most people in the mind set still build a party throw some sam's & wars & will be a good party lot of time thats not case & pet jobs do & will pull out nice dmg if used right
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-05-27 17:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Cerberus.Soluna said:
Tell me the setup before I waste my time spelling out all my gear. I'd take it as a legit question though.
And tell me your gear before I waste my time getting your rep. I don't ask every person their gear, but if they ask me the set up, I reserve to right to ask gear, too, lol

I usually only ask the setup if people are /anon and I'm on a job that's dependent on what other people are. I play COR and DRG, so knowing my subjob is pretty important. I'm sure it's not the same as what you're /wristing about though, because I usually accept invite, then ask what they want my subjob to be.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 17:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a mindset, it's based off what they can push out. PUPs are now accepted because of strong stringing pumel builds and the fact that their rng frame is like a rng and works well in all the bird camps.

BST doesn't get anything like that, at level 55 they would be lucky to push out 400 rampages imo with good gear, the fact that 99% of them melee in full AF does NOT help either, they wont hti over 100 rampage. Their pet's also just don't do that well on exp pt mobs for some reason even tho they work on HNM like I previously mentioned, then again that's merited at 75 with proper gear like relic hands.

BST is not PUP.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-27 17:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

BST needs a LOT of work. IMO the job SE needs to focus on the most in future updates is bst... and I hate the job.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 17:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree, BST does need some buffs to make it more worthy endgame, but it's always been FFXI's token solo job. They will not make it good in exp pts ever. BSTs need to suck it up and solo it like the old school bsts did. They are pampered now.

People used to say drg sucked, then AU hit. people used to say PUP sucked, then they got buffed and ppl started playing them PROPER. People used to say BST suck.. well they still say that. BST just doesn't work too well in exp and was never, ever meant to. Just need to get over it.

I would love to see some new jug pets at 80+ though that allow the BST to do good endgame dmg. Maybe some good pets that can sc with other jobs to be useful on HNM too.

While unrelated to the BST sub-topic, they need to get rid of no skill ups in syncs... If you're level 58 in a 55 sync and can still skill up on that mob you should still be able to tbh.
[+]
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-05-27 17:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
I agree, BST does need some buffs to make it more worthy endgame, but it's always been FFXI's token solo job. They will not make it good in exp pts ever. BSTs need to suck it up and solo it like the old school bsts did. They are pampered now. People used to say drg sucked, then AU hit. people used to say PUP sucked, then they got buffed and ppl started playing them PROPER. People used to say BST suck.. well they still say that. BST just doesn't work too well in exp and was never, ever meant to. Just need to get over it. I would love to see some new jug pets at 80 though that allow the BST to do good endgame dmg. Maybe some good pets that can sc with other jobs to be useful on HNM too. While unrelated to the BST sub-topic, they need to get rid of no skill ups in syncs... If you're level 58 in a 55 sync and can still skill up on that mob you should still be able to tbh.

If you're lv58 with lv54 skill and are sync'd to lv55 you will still get skill ups.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 17:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

But if you're 58 level with 56 skill and sync'd to 55 you will not get a skill up. My point was if you can skill up on that same mob w/o sync, you should be able to skill up on it WITH sync.

I'm sure they can program it to the point where yu will have the cap of the sync'd level but can still skill up. Or instead fo actually capping your weapon skill, give u -acc/atk to the point it wud be the same skill as that level, that way u can get skill ups.

SE just has lazy programmers tbh, most all of their updates have had shitty code they *** up ***with and they have to do emergency updates to fix them...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-27 18:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah that'd be dumb tbh and broken. Mobs get harder as you lv up. Everyone and their mother would just sync to 10 for skill ups and skill up on things they can 1 shot
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 18:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No you're misunderstanding what i'm saying veg lol. I'm not saying you should be able to skill as a 75 off of level 10 mobs... I'm saying off a mob you can skill up on unsync'd you should be able to while sync'd. If a mob is too weak for you to skill up on unsync'd then you shouldn't get skills off it sync'd, idk how to explain it better really, i'm trying to do other ***atm.

Also... are u *** wiping the BBQ sauce on ur shirt before u eat the chicken? lol..
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-05-27 18:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bsts are ruined for me. My first party with one was when I was a nublet in the dunes, hadn't had much experience with parties and none with bsts. So, we were in the oasis and the bst decided to charm a leech while we were fighting a crab or something. The charm failed, and the rest of the leeches ate us alive. Never have I ever looked at beastmasters with full trust again. I know, I know, I can't judge them all by just that one. But it was not a happy first bst experience! D:
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-27 18:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
No you're misunderstanding what i'm saying veg lol. I'm not saying you should be able to skill as a 75 off of level 10 mobs... I'm saying off a mob you can skill up on unsync'd you should be able to while sync'd. If a mob is too weak for you to skill up on unsync'd then you shouldn't get skills off it sync'd, idk how to explain it better really, i'm trying to do other ***atm.

Also... are u *** wiping the BBQ sauce on ur shirt before u eat the chicken? lol..
Oh, ok I get it. Yea, that makes sense. And no, I had to click record, that's what my hand is doing
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-27 18:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are saying BST shouldn't get anything to make them useful in parties then wouldn't it be at least fair to give them GOOD alternatives for xp? As it stands what can bst solo per hour...? I am thinking 4~7k max lower levels, 8~10k higher/75, now compare that to your average TP burn. How is that fair?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 18:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh bsts were never liked from the start, back in the pre-mpk patch they used to kill everyone on purpose... and then you had the bad ones doing HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***like you just mentioned. They have built an amazingly solid negative rep for themselves over time.

My argument is still based on stats though. I've done it right with proper gear and pet's it just doesn't pull the same dmg as most DDs. Like Is aid though at 75 it's a different story, same with really low levels when all DD suck, but in the mid leveling range bst just do not belong in exp pts. You can gimp a good one in that knows what he;s doing but it will slightly slow exp down, and 99% of the time you will get the one in full AF.

Edit: @dralo I know, you guys do need better exp spots, I still need to finish mine off i'd love some too. I'm not hating on bst, I love the job i'm just saying it's THE solo job, and it's good at it. SE just won't give the main solo job good ***in normal exp pts, because they want them to solo. I'm not saying i'd be mad if they did or anything, just being realistic.

I'm sure... well, nvm, I hope they don't *** you over in update, you should get some nice camps. 75-99 will be a horrible *** for BST.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-27 18:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh I'm not a bst XD I just know they definitely need some help. TBH when we are talking pure solo, I really don't think BST is the best :x. IMO, RDM would fit that job due to their survivability and such. There are places where a bst cant charm a pet (limbus and such) and jug pets won't cut it, whereas a RDM can do it with ease. They should get bsts wyrm jugpets lol.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-27 18:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, i'm not getting into what jobs are OP, BST just solo the "easiest" I should say, they throw pets at ***and were made for soloing. RDMS require really good gear, great skill and time. BST was made as the original soloing class.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2010-05-27 21:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking forward to this update as a 75BST. I did do some partying with it but most of my levels were solo, as it should be. As long as SE gives us some decent charmable pets to throw at mob's I'll be happy to take BST to 99.

While I prefer /whm right now, I suspect I'll be /rdm for refresh and I'll just bring rr items lol.

As for the RDM vs BST solo topic.... ***is situational.. really depends on the camp and mobs in question and what charmable pets are available. RDM is imho the better solo job for most situations but BST can solo some mobs easier/faster depending on the camp/pets available.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-27 22:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the sad thing is... even with what should be good/perfect setups nowadays, people can still manage to *** it up bad...

Had a party not long ago with WAR SAM MNK RDM BRD COR. We were at Mamool Ja Staging Point killing Puks + Mamool + Skoffins. BRD was doing March + Minuet while COR was doing Chaos + Hunter's. We were camped in the tunnel the entire time and the BRD was horribly slow at pulling... We never made it over chain 13. I tried repeatedly to get the group to move out into the area as we cleared ***away but the leader wouldn't budge. The idiot BRD wouldn't listen about double March either. Half the time the RDM was running his mouth instead of curing/hasting people. The WAR couldn't voke worth a ***. The COR was the only good one out of the bunch. The SAM was alright I suppose. Not the greatest gear but he tried.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-27 22:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Can tell the brd sucked by the time I read march + minuet. Then I read further and saw he sucked.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-27 23:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmaster owns La'Vaule_S More than any job in the game. No monster is out of pulling ability, and no monster is outside of a beastmasters killing ability there, not even the BLM Orc. This area highlights the fact that given OPTIMAL circumstances, beastmaster is an amazing job in endgame/low/solo situations (Play skill willing).

The problem is, it isn't really flexible enough. Snarl onto Charmed pet would solve most of the issues, allowing Beastmaster to melee with impunity solo would be great, as it would stop penalizing people like me, with Punisher/AdamanHauberk and ***, since it's not like we (beastmasters) would ever get to actually use that outside of Campaign, since the notion of 'lolsolobst' still is alive and kickin'.

As for giving Jug pets a little more power, Ready was a step in the right direction, but not a big enough one, I'd like to see a Job Trait or ability that allows you to share your food effects with Jug pets, as long as the food is used with the pet already out.

Endgame application, a better way for beastmaster to stay true to it's nature and "Exploit nature" would be the most effective means of improving the job. Killer Instinct is a good start, but doesn't last long enough for anything but Zerg. The ability to really debilitate certain ecosystems of monsters would make the job valuable and flexible. Testing the players knowledge of the game, as well as the very mechanics of monster correlation.
By Thandar 2010-05-28 00:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

When I'm /inv on bard, I always end up asking if they are 5/6, when they say "No, I saw you so I asked you." I join anyways, if they say yes, I just ask if I'm to /nin or whm.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-05-28 06:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Why do people get all worked up when asked the setup? You know you would wanna know too if was lfg. I run into this problem a lot when I shout for ISNM or salvage, I get tards who do the same thing every time. I place in the shout "Send tell (ppl dont know what PST means) with jobs/lot" and they send me a tell like "i'll go" or they will say "what u need" and ill say "what do you have available?" and they get all emo. "I dont like my question answered with a question", just really dumb. I would like to know all your jobs because at this point in the game people have various 75s and I can tailor my party based on what jobs you give me to choose....

Its annoying when your shouting for ppl for ISNM and you have 4 ppl each with 10 75's and someone asks "whats the setup?", its alot easier for them to just tell me what they got than it is for me to tell them every possible setup you can make out of 4x10 jobs.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-28 07:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thandar said:
When I'm /inv on bard, I always end up asking if they are 5/6, when they say "No, I saw you so I asked you." I join anyways, if they say yes, I just ask if I'm to /nin or whm.

I don't normally ask anything, but this brings up another point. Honestly haven't been in any merit parties on my BRD since hitting 75, LS mates and I leveling subs to 50 (or collecting merits while others level subs) in E Ronf.. but pre 75 when I lfp on BRD I would always get an invite by a single person. Him and I would sit in a party together for 20 minutes, no healers or tanks, disband. Why invite people unless all required jobs are searching?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-28 07:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rawkhawk said:
Thandar said:

I don't normally ask anything, but this brings up another point. Honestly haven't been in any merit parties on my BRD since hitting 75, LS mates and I leveling subs to 50 (or collecting merits while others level subs) in E Ronf.. but pre 75 when I lfp on BRD I would always get an invite by a single person. Him and I would sit in a party together for 20 minutes, no healers or tanks, disband. Why invite people unless all required jobs are searching?
Same.

If a PT is at 1-2/6 and they're not the vital jobs needed (i.e. WHM if I'm on PLD), I'll tell them to let me know when they're 4-5/6. If I don't get a better PT invite by then, I'll join.

I also don't invite people until I know I have enough interested to fill a PT. I'll send something like: "I'm trying to put together a PT. If I get enough people, are you interested?"
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-28 07:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Sylph.Rawkhawk said:
Thandar said:
Same. If a PT is at 1-2/6 and they're not the vital jobs needed (i.e. WHM if I'm on PLD), I'll tell them to let me know when they're 4-5/6. If I don't get a better PT invite by then, I'll join. I also don't invite people until I know I have enough interested to fill a PT. I'll send something like: "I'm trying to put together a PT. If I get enough people, are you interested?"

Chicken and egg.

No one will commit until some one commits.
 Siren.Aem
Server: Siren
user: alekandr
By Siren.Aem 2010-05-28 07:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Vixia said:
reminds me of this guy from a couple months ago :

I think it was a 50-60 bird party, don't remember..
booted him shortly after XD
seriously people make your own parties if you're gonna be like that!

I did laugh a bit, I've had such a hard time lately arguing with idiots with party setups.

Whats wrong with SAM/SAM/DRG/COR/RDM/PUP...

Asking SAM's to tank at 56-58.. and they never want too.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-28 07:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Aem said:
Alexander.Vixia said:
reminds me of this guy from a couple months ago : I think it was a 50-60 bird party, don't remember.. booted him shortly after XD seriously people make your own parties if you're gonna be like that!
I did laugh a bit, I've had such a hard time lately arguing with idiots with party setups. Whats wrong with SAM/SAM/DRG/COR/RDM/PUP... Asking SAM's to tank at 56-58.. and they never want too.

Lack of BRD is the problem (but a BRD lfp below 75 is hard to find, so I can forgive that), not SAM tanking.

SAM makes a really good EXP tank, as long as they have half a brain.

At that level though you probably don't need a 'Tank' just a first voker.
 Caitsith.Hikarino
Server: Caitsith
user: Hikarino
By Caitsith.Hikarino 2010-05-30 18:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, when I seek for party on any of my jobs, I have a certain type of search comment up. When someone sends me an invite, I notice nine times out of ten it's just {Party}{Do you need it?}, then when I ask if it fits my search comment, I find out it doesn't. That's about the closest I get to asking party setup. I'll use a couple examples here, bard and summoner. As bard, my search comment will specifically disclude anything except bird parties; When I find out you're a level 50 party going to kuftal, I'm not turning you down because of whatever awesome setup you have, I'm turning you down merely on the basis that you've completely ignored common courtesy and my search comment. If you pursue my membership much longer, I'll turn into one of those elite-ist bards everyone talks about very quick. Same thing with summoner; Comment will specifically say astral flow burn only, no healing magic while I'm flagged up. Don't get too upset when I say I don't want to go do imps with you. Both times though I'll ask if you have specific things; Bard, I'll ask if you have a puller. Nine times out of ten I'll fall asleep doing the oldschool bard where you sing and help cure, then spend 9/10ths of your time waiting for the next round of songs (which is why I want bird parties speficically; faster it goes, more likely your bard isn't snoozing). On summoner, when it's an astral flow burn, I'll ask if I should sub corsair.

As for gear, not everyone can make 300k+ a day. I'm lucky if I can make 100k+ a day, and that's just come about within the last couple of weeks (with beastmaster hitting 72). Prior to this, with events, school, recapping exp from all my deaths, and other things I was lucky to get 10k a week. That said, I've been playing for years with about that level of income (increasing and decreasing depending on different conditions; I'd say 10k a week is a good average), and have accumulated some acceptably nice gear over time.

If you invite me to a bird party and you have pld, blu, blu, drg, dnc, brd(me), and we're doing lesser colibri, I don't mind. Birds are a lot squishier than people seem to think, as with a good bard they still drop fast enough to get decent exp off of. Actually had that party last night, would pull 15 birds with madrigal/minuet, then switch to double ballad (hit the dragoon and dancer with different stuff) for five~ten birds, and nobody ever had to rest. Corsair subbing white mage isn't such a big deal in merit, either; I've seen them out-pull bards in mediocre gear, help heal, have plenty of time for full rolls, and still find time to shoot/slug shot for decent numbers. Find me a bard that will pull 20k/hour and still manage 1k+ weapon skills while curaga-ing the melee. Of course, this may have been an exceptionally good player, but my point is I won't look at a merit party and say someone isn't subbing the right job. I've even done rdm/nin melee in merit with a scholar main healing for 18k/hour exp at colibri, and that was back when my melee gear consisted of suppa, paluhwan, misrecorde/joytoy. I've made improvements since then, but people still sneer at the idea because it's not a samurai pulling 700~1.5k pentas every 2 minutes. I don't know about you, but 18k/hour exp for two hours while waiting for a decent sam to flag up is better than 0k/hour for two hours sitting in whitegate watching people try to sell things in shout.

Whoo, I talked a lot. /rant