Don't Give Up Seats In Japan?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Don't give up seats in Japan?
Don't give up seats in Japan?
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2010-05-13 18:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I came across a quote that struck me odd from the LFMF (Learn from my fail) site:

Quote:
Never offer an elderly woman your seat on a train in Japan no matter how much your western up bringing tells you other wise. There is a reason you were advised not to and you will be beaten by a woman who thinks you are insinuating she is feeble and weak.

Is that really true? I'm somewhat familiar with the customs of China/Japan and how they tend to generally tend not to show or admit to suffering, but this seemed excessive.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-13 18:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, I can see it happening. It may of just been the lady herself though. I know my grandma hates it when people offer to do things for her. She wants to be strong!

Hell, power to her, but I don't know about beating people up, lol.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-13 18:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Mithano said:
I came across a quote that struck me odd from the LFMF (Learn from my fail) site:

Quote:
Never offer an elderly woman your seat on a train in Japan no matter how much your western up bringing tells you other wise. There is a reason you were advised not to and you will be beaten by a woman who thinks you are insinuating she is feeble and weak.

Is that really true? I'm somewhat familiar with the customs of China/Japan and how they tend to generally tend not to show or admit to suffering, but this seemed excessive.
Everything on any site like that, be it LFMF, TFLN, or any sort of based-on-real-life comedy site, is always greatly exaggerated.

That said, both my mother and my grandmother are 100% Japanese and neither of them get insulted when I offer to do anything for them. And I do everything around here so I'd notice.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 18:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

@Ent You're family, tho.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-13 18:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

A valid argument, I suppose, and it likely varies from family to family, but if I were to be a jerk about something, I'd do it to my own family rather than some strangers.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 18:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps it's seen as impolite, just as referring to someone you aren't close to by their given name is?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-13 18:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
A valid argument, I suppose, and it likely varies from family to family, but if I were to be a jerk about something, I'd do it to my own family rather than some strangers.

Especially in a crowded area. Now everyone thinks she's a psycho old lady!
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-05-13 18:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i take the train most of the time and i do offer my seat to the elderly all the time with out a issue i think that LFMF is pure ***
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-13 18:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's easy to lie about Japan. If you don't live there, you wouldn't know. So people can tell lies about it easily.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 18:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe it was some rude guy who went to Japan, someone didn't like his lack of manners and when he came back, he used reversed logic or some ***to try to get other tourists to be rude, idk.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 18:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
It's easy to lie about Japan. If you don't live there, you wouldn't know. So people can tell lies about it easily.

Also this^
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-05-13 19:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm inclined to say it depends on the person. I've caught ***from canadian women a few times for holding a door for them.

However, nothing shuts up a militant feminist like "I hold doors for everyone, man and woman."

"Now go make me a sandwich." *buttslap* ;D
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 19:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:
I'm inclined to say it depends on the person. I've caught ***from canadian women a few times for holding a door for them. However, nothing shuts up a militant feminist like "I hold doors for everyone, man and woman." "Now go make me a sandwich." *buttslap* ;D

I'd slam it in her face, and say "My bad, bro."
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 19:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm inclined to say it depends on the person. I've caught ***from canadian women a few times for holding a door for them. However, nothing shuts up a militant feminist like "I hold doors for everyone, man and woman." "Now go make me a sandwich." *buttslap* ;D
If only that worked. I usually say that and then add something like doorslam in there face as they clearly wanted the door shut in front of them so they could open it
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-13 19:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I see the same thing as Cardinalgate, never had any issues giving up seats for elderly. Heck most trains have areas designated for elderly/handicapped/pregant so it's just an extension of that really.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-05-13 19:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:

lol'd
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-05-13 19:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm inclined to say it depends on the person. I've caught ***from canadian women a few times for holding a door for them.

However, nothing shuts up a militant feminist like "I hold doors for everyone, man and woman."

"Now go make me a sandwich." *buttslap* ;D

LOL...sad to say, some women seem to take it personally. Not me...any time a man or a woman holds a door for me, I always make sure to look them in the eye, smile, and thank them. Common courtesy is becoming so rare in society, I think it's important to acknowledge those of us who still live by it. 8)
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-13 19:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:

I lol'd hard.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-05-13 20:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

women are fickle.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-13 20:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

in Canada you should comment about our beaver wifes and how our beer is lower quality compared to US brands im pretty sure you will be very welcomed... also do that in a hockey game and wear a US team jersey.

I dare U

D:
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-05-13 20:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
in Canada you should comment about our beaver wifes and how our beer is lower quality compared to US brands im pretty sure you will be very welcomed... also do that in a hockey game and wear a US team jersey.

I dare U

D:

I will wear a U.S jersey and say *** you canada. I sure have pissed of several people in a state before D:. One time I wore a NY yankee's hat and clothes when boston got their *** kicked to em a few years ago, sure was hell of a lot of fun.

People wanted to kill me, ha ha ha ha ha.

Time to bring boston bruins to canada, where should I go BC?

ah who will kick my ***, and I'll say your beer *** sucks. then I will , do other stuff. Say everyone in canada is aids infested.

I do not know what else, >:

Oh ps

women are fickle, little things.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-13 21:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:

I dare U

D:

lmao