When Is Doing AFB To Much, To Much?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » When is doing AFB to much, to much?
When is doing AFB to much, to much?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-10-23 13:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm so much wrong with this... "Get anything done" Its a video game half the people are proablly naked not doing a thing but wasting time to begin with... And the wasting everyones time when being helpful part wtf does that even mean? When are smn burns trying to be helpful to anyone outside the burn?

Everyone who levels on Birds should go die in a fire... Makes about as much sense dumbass.
 Fairy.Specopsz
Server: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-10-23 14:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man! You tell 'em!
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-10-23 14:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Look I hate the people that just started havent been playing for 6 months and have 8 75's because all they do is burn never skilling up and then making people pissed off like in this thread... But I LOVE smn burn I have grinded up 2 jobs Rdm and Smn back when max base exp was 200 and it was some rediculous amount of exp to hit 75 Think it was like what 80k? I remember when it was changed and how pissed off I was at all the people that stared rocketting to 75. So I kinda get it I guess. But if you can get 5 merits for doing a 2hr quest once a week wouldnt you do it? Well we can do this as many times a week as we like and thats what most people use it for to begin with.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-23 14:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well burns helped me run a low lvl job to Rabao without needing some form of snk or invis.
 Sylph.Alecredion
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Alecredion 2009-10-23 14:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Roark said:
I personally have burned 4-5 jobs (that I never intend on leveling seriously) from 10 to 20ish as a sync. I have also taken my smn from 10 to the low 40s in burns.

I don't think less of people who do it, but I would never do it on a job that I intended to take to 75 outside of Smn. Burning Summoner to 75 is more legitimate in my opinion. I have friends that do it all the time and it does irk me to see people use their AF then leech on another job until they can AF again. Its just cheap... I level jobs because I enjoy the job and like to learn them well along the way, not for the epeen of having it at 75.

Level sync and the expansion of viable camps has made getting to 75 a joke.

I agree with this, and I AB my summoner almost every week, much easier way to get merits then lolbird parties. Sure it irks me when i see someone just leaching to 75, but that goes with the territory, same for when i see anyone dual wielding outside nin and thf in an xp party... you cant fix stupid.

When burning became popluar, i was just starting to level my smn @15, and i got a out of it at lv 33 my first day, and thats basically how i was able to get to 75 within a month. Now are you gonna put me down for burning my smn? When i Leveled pld before ToAU came out and ppl HAD to pay attention in parties? When I leveled 4 more jobs the 'traditional' way and was annoyed at the idiot players, like sams who don't who dont understand seigan/3rd eye and sub nin?

Burning is just another way to gain xp, its like saying the old KRT mnk parties were cheap (and they were! coz i couldnt join! QQ). Personally I only burn with another smn i know very well, and a few outside smns, never let anyone leach anymore, coz they are all done with their jobs. So its just a 40k/hr smn burn, looks like that beats my normal 10-25k tp burn pty, so i'll rather smn burn. ^^
[+]
 Caitsith.Iphone
Server: Caitsith
user: Imola
By Caitsith.Iphone 2009-10-23 15:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I was in a merit pt the other day on birds, this 75 SAM couldn't Tachi: Gekko since his GK skill wasn't high enough to reach the WS skill, we were cracking up.......then out of no where he type AFB FTW ^^.. then says I'll start doing my AF's tomorrow.

AFB makes 75 blm's cast Water II on MG slaves as well ^^.. so you tell me lol...
[+]
 Sylph.Alecredion
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Alecredion 2009-10-23 15:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Iphone said:
lol I was in a merit pt the other day on birds, this 75 SAM couldn't Tachi: Gekko since his GK skill wasn't high enough to reach the WS skill, we were cracking up.......then out of no where he type AFB FTW ^^.. then says I'll start doing my AF's tomorrow.

AFB makes 75 blm's cast Water II on MG slaves as well ^^.. so you tell me lol...

Like I said, its nearly impossible to beat the stupid out of some people. I've been in merit parties where the cor does nothing but rolls and sits there, and I argued with him about it, all while keeping 5 songs up and pulling. I've also seen every DD not know how to control their hate in Limbus/Znms and die, but then laugh as they say "At least I did 1XXX!".

Now for the blm, in all honesty, I've been know to have my macro mess up and hit the wrong spell, but if he was pickin the wrong target and doing it consistently, then yeah that's a very messed up blm. I remember a blm friend of mine way back that would throw out a thunder, then 2, 3 and 4 respectivly because of his macc, and he did decent chunks of damage. I'm just hoping that the blm you know was just messing up a little ^^;
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-23 15:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Iphone said:

Are you seriously going to try and tell me this is any different from a SAM who goes 55-75 at Lesser Colibri? Logic: yours needs work.

Not like the SAM AF is any good anyway, barring the head.

Quote:

What Alecredion said.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-10-23 15:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When you AFB baby jesus crys
[+]
 Remora.Naminee
Server: Remora
user: KelliM
By Remora.Naminee 2009-10-23 15:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Too much is when you go to use SMN endgame, you realize the only 2 macro's you have are Diamond Dust and Thunderspark. I have friends who do these parties, I do not agree with it, but I don't hate them for doing it. I also don't agree necessarily with them charging other players to leech their exp. In the end of the day, you ARE getting exp/merits yourselves. I ono.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-10-23 16:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

To be completely honest, I am not a fan of astral burn parties. They level you fast, sure. But most of the people who do them all the way to 75 will never know how to properly play their job and will have lower skills than those who actually did the work to level themselves. If I ever had to choose between two players on the same job for anything, one who leveled his or herself or one who astral burned, I will always choose the one who leveled because I have little doubt that they will be the one who is good at the job and knows what they are doing on it.

That being said, I prefer a 'live and let live' attitude. Some of my friends do astral burns, and do I care? Honestly? No. I won't go do it with them, but I see no reason why they should not do it simply because I don't do it. I'll do my thing, you do yours, and we'll all be happy.
[+]
 Caitsith.Iphone
By Caitsith.Iphone 2009-10-23 17:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Are you seriously going to try and tell me this is any different from a SAM who goes 55-75 at Lesser Colibri? Logic: yours needs work.

Really you want logic in that statement? really are you serious? really?!

Hommie if your 75 and your doing tachi: Jinpu on Greater Colibris from meditate you might as well quit game.
[+]
 Unicorn.Alarin
Server: Unicorn
user: Alar
By Unicorn.Alarin 2009-10-23 17:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

One argument I'm surprised I haven't seen yet on here is simply getting your ls more smns for certain NMs.

Not all ls have the people (or at least people with the right gear) to zerg down things like Kirin. Getting a few more smns to speed up Khimeara or Saramaya is always good too. Yes this isn't needed to kill these mobs, but what's wrong with killing them faster?

Additionally what's everyone's obsession with Korroloka Tunnel? Yes it makes for some huge pulls, but even with multiple pullers it can take awhile. I've heard of/done multiple zones with quicker pulls for about equal average xp per hour.

Yes afbing can create plenty of noobs who don't know a thing about this game, but in general its used by people who have already grinded multiple jobs to 75 already. Its not like noobs with maat's caps or 75s are a new phenomena, all afbing does is make a few more, and for the most part people will realize that they are such.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-10-23 18:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I was reading this thread for a bit till I finally realized what AFB is. I guess this is something that's relativity recent. I have never participated in something like this although I have heard people say that they would not exp any other way?

I leveled each of my jobs entirely playing through each and every level. You do learn a lot about your classes as well as how they interact with others depending on each situation and combination of jobs.

I feel sorry for people that do not learn how to play their classes.
[+]
 Bismarck.Saleam
Server: Bismarck
user: Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-10-23 18:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I would of liked this back when I was leveling drg the hard way. Hell I thought a drg burn was L33t XP. Guess things have changed. I'm glad I DIDN'T do it, because I can say I leveled drg in the hard times, but then again I can't say I WOULDN'T do it if I could still play. (especially since I might not get saleam back -.- and if I don't, this time I'm playing a job people invite XD)
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-23 19:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to use this comment as a basis:
Quote:
So to me, astral burn just kinda seems like Easymode since all you have to do is hit bloodpact and voila... you gained 30k exp.

This same thing was said when we went from tank, 2dd for a sc and blm to magic burst the sc to tp burn parties. Ever do an event that requires this now-a-days? 1/2 the melee in this game don't know a sc.

A good merit pt is 20-30k an hour. Which is the same amt of time it takes to set up an AB. It takes a good 30 minutes just to train all of the mobs in the zone.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-23 19:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Iphone said:
Really you want logic in that statement? really are you serious? really?!

Hommie if your 75 and your doing tachi: Jinpu on Greater Colibris from meditate you might as well quit game.

Tell that to every goddamn gimp I've ever partied with who didn't AFB their EXP and sucked *** worse than most of the people I know who do.

Logic: yours needs work. You're attributing the source of the proverbial suck to a method of gaining EXP when the reality is given a month with a job at 75 you should have a decent grasp of how to play it, even if you'd never played the job before in your entire time in FFXI.

Before AFB, you blamed Level Sync and Colibri. What did you blame before then? The player? Because that's what you should be pointing fingers at.
 Caitsith.Iphone
By Caitsith.Iphone 2009-10-23 21:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Tell that to every goddamn gimp I've ever partied with who didn't AFB their EXP and sucked *** worse than most of the people I know who do. Logic: yours needs work. You're attributing the source of the proverbial suck to a method of gaining EXP when the reality is given a month with a job at 75 you should have a decent grasp of how to play it, even if you'd never played the job before in your entire time in FFXI. Before AFB, you blamed Level Sync and Colibri. What did you blame before then? The player? Because that's what you should be pointing fingers at.

There's a difference between a n00b and a newbie.

There's a difference between a gimp and a "sucked ***."

Now you can juggle each statement

1. n00b + sucked *** = Just a person that can grasp the mechanics of this game, knows how it works but doesn't grasp 100% of it and doesn't study each job carefully.

2. newbie + gimp = this can mean a person that just started playing, and found to unlock summoner as a first 75 job, then was asked to do an AFB.

But what I found with this SAM who, on this forumula is
n00b + gimp. Because one he has been playing the game, he has several jobs that takes away being a newbie. But for the fact that he wanted to skill up during a merit PT without capped skills, not even enough to use a 225 skill level WS is gimp. How and why was he gimp, he claims to have AFB his SAM.. why I don't know proly hates exping. Do I blame him? No. But did he just slowed that my merit PT since he never told us his skill caps are gimped. Yes...

Now you want logic?

If AFB was never invented or found. My merit party for that night would have been 10x smoother, and faster.

I never blamed anything on anyone. I stated an incident that occured because of AFB, and the results was gimped players can be found from AFB's. Did I bash people that do AFB, level sync, or any players of any sorts? No... I just think it's funny being an old school player like myself who knows how hard it was to level back then that these newer players have it 1000x that much easier to level at least respect that fact to cap your level skills before you go out and show.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-23 22:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The same thing could have occurred if they never EXP'd above Lesser Colibri, which would give them at most what, Yuki? Dumbass should have his skills capped regardless, inability to understand the importance of that is not a direct product of AFB. I could even extend this argument to demonstrate that Level Sync is more to blame in this situation than AFB since you can AFB at various levels given the freedom to pull and the coordination to keep pullers alive. Both are less at fault than the player for failing to take the time to cap their skills.

Here's my premise in a nutshell: he's a gimp who would have been gimp regardless, just not gimp in that particular matter. Ergo, AFB has a negative impact on lesser players and no effect on better players. These better players will cap their skills and understand the job before they take it out to play, probably taking less total time to do so unless you're one of those people that can pull a 20k/hr party out of their *** at any time of the day. I concede that this specific portion of his gimpness is a result of AFB, but as noted above he could have EXP'd without AFB and still been gimp. East Ronfaure (S) from 36 to 75, for another example.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-10-23 22:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Antonioklaus said:
I'm going to use this comment as a basis:
Quote:
So to me, astral burn just kinda seems like Easymode since all you have to do is hit bloodpact and voila... you gained 30k exp.

This same thing was said when we went from tank, 2dd for a sc and blm to magic burst the sc to tp burn parties. Ever do an event that requires this now-a-days? 1/2 the melee in this game don't know a sc.

A good merit pt is 20-30k an hour. Which is the same amt of time it takes to set up an AB. It takes a good 30 minutes just to train all of the mobs in the zone.

To be fair, if you don't suck you can spend 40 minutes pulling and get 50k+ EXP.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-23 23:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, I know. I have a static xp pt that xps on Tuesdays. We took our jobs from 34-75. We did AB twice and every now and then we take someone in the LS to do it. For me, it's a quick easy way to get merits or recap smn, which is 75. I pretty much only use smn for Kirin and how hard is it to BP, ES, BP, rest, run from AF. btw, I leveled smn when it was cool, only 1 set of BPs and you solo'd on bombs in Ulegard Range.
 Lakshmi.Ashido
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ashido
By Lakshmi.Ashido 2009-10-23 23:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill....chain.... what is this maddness ?!? Tachi:enpi > Tachi:enpi SC > Freeze OMGAWD >.>

i dont like the idea of AFB any how,i dont preferably like lvl sync because it gimps my skill levels and i spend time having to skill up , and not to mention that lvl sync allows retards to get to 75 . I remember back in the day if a RDM sucked in a party , the party TOLD the rdm they sucked and got a reputation for it. so either 1. they figured out what they were doing wrong or 2. Stopped lvling RDM .

The only reason im anti afb any how is simply because it allows the idiots to gain massive xp and fly by those who are not in my opinion abusing game mechanics .

But what ever ya'll will keep hitting the ball back n forth untill mr rodgers kills us all ( Google "ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny" )
[+]
 Remora.Morphius
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2009-10-24 00:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just going to say I'm sort of semi neutral, but they should really nerf the use of "astral burn".

I came up with an idea of reducing EXP gained from mobs taken so far from their spawn or claimed position, would probably have to be spawned position but whatever. Normal EXP or activities would not be affected. The distance could be far... 200, 300 units. However AB would be negatively affected because they are of course pulling entire zones of mobs.

It would not crush astral burn, but I believe it would make it a little less appealing. Hell to be mean would be to drop it to 0 exp, or scale it down depending on distance (would be some update!).
[+]
 Remora.Morphius
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2009-10-24 00:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I should add: I think it should be nerfed because its throwing game balance off as much as or more than the RMT and such.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
Server: Carbuncle
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-10-24 01:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't have an issue too much with Astral Burns, the whole "But they're making players gimped" logic if flawed since level sync has done a pretty good job of that. I've PTed with plenty of people who admitted their combat skills have been uncapped for nearly 10 levels.

I will admit I astral burned my SMN to 66 for Maat, but going for over 5 hours w/o an invite you get pretty desperate. Maybe with this update SMN won't be a last resort healer @55+
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2009-10-24 01:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just me ol' opinion, I don't really think AF burn is "making noobs" because there are players that can fully grasp the functionality of most jobs. But i can agree that your AF burned SAM will be horrible for a long time and i hope it wouldn't be your main job. Mage jobs though I can't really say anything cause you can cap skills easy enough. But I have AF burned Smn just cause my Ls needed another, I've already mentioned to them it'd never be used in Events. ^^
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-24 01:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, to me, it's more of a morality issue.

Astral Flow-burn parties are no better than, say, robbing a bank in real life. Sure, you get money. But you didn't earn that money. There's no sense of worth or satisfaction in your deed. Also people will hate you c.c (And you'd be banned if SE weren't so lazy)

That being said, people burning 15 jobs to 66 for Maat's Cap are the worst. I've put 3 years of effort into it and still don't have one. Whereas these burners can get that done in three MONTHs.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things, Astral Flow-burning is no better than hacking, stealing, botting. It's just SE is lazy now and not banning for anything anymore.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-24 01:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm inclined to agree with Nightfyre on this. I'd simply say there's a high likelihood that if someone is talented and takes whatever jobs they already have leveled seriously, then Astral Burning is just another means to an end as opposed to missing an important and needed period of learning a job through count-less exp parties. To be fair I don't know many who exclusively do Astral Burns as opposed to just doing the first 30-50 levels and doing the rest through normal parties.

I can pretty confidently say had I done Astral Burning 2 years ago (I know, wasn't around) that I'd probably be worse at whatever job I was doing at the time as opposed to now where I feel like I could pick up the slack and learn through friends, informational resources and toying with it on my own time. In that I think general player experience, willingness to learn as well as a sense of individual responsibility plays a big role.
[+]
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-24 04:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You know the cool thing about this thread is the tard hitting the - on ppls post because they don't agree. Rating ppl down should be reserved for bad information not for people recognizing their constitutional rights to disagree.
[+]
 Bismarck.Saleam
Server: Bismarck
user: Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-10-24 04:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The same thing could have occurred if they never EXP'd above Lesser Colibri, which would give them at most what, Yuki? Dumbass should have his skills capped regardless, inability to understand the importance of that is not a direct product of AFB. I could even extend this argument to demonstrate that Level Sync is more to blame in this situation than AFB since you can AFB at various levels given the freedom to pull and the coordination to keep pullers alive. Both are less at fault than the player for failing to take the time to cap their skills.

Here's my premise in a nutshell: he's a gimp who would have been gimp regardless, just not gimp in that particular matter. Ergo, AFB has a negative impact on lesser players and no effect on better players. These better players will cap their skills and understand the job before they take it out to play, probably taking less total time to do so unless you're one of those people that can pull a 20k/hr party out of their *** at any time of the day. I concede that this specific portion of his gimpness is a result of AFB, but as noted above he could have EXP'd without AFB and still been gimp. East Ronfaure (S) from 36 to 75, for another example.

Smart sounding words like permise and ergo make me wanna take this guys side =]