Blm Gear Advice
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ramuh.Aramachus
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2010-02-23 22:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The augmented redingote may be MARGINALLY better than a NQ weskit, then again you can try for an INT augment on the NQ weskit and that will put the weskit above the redingote without doubt. The little macc you can get wont make anything hit that doesnt hit without it, its just about the damage and its just the same as the selenian cap <--> demon+1 comparision, the output will be so marginal, you better use the redingote for another job or if youre so much into blm for example if youre soloing much put it into a fast cast setup. it DOES make a difference if you get that thunder IV off on the gravitied IT++ NM before it hits you or not. if the spell does 1510 instead of 1500 damage does not matter really.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-23 22:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
The augmented redingote may be MARGINALLY better than a NQ weskit, then again you can try for an INT augment on the NQ weskit and that will put the weskit above the redingote without doubt. The little macc you can get wont make anything hit that doesnt hit without it, its just about the damage and its just the same as the selenian cap <--> demon 1 comparision, the output will be so marginal, you better use the redingote for another job or if youre so much into blm for example if youre soloing much put it into a fast cast setup. it DOES make a difference if you get that thunder IV off on the gravitied IT NM before it hits you or not. if the spell does 1510 instead of 1500 damage does not matter really.

well the redingote I actually got with macc/mab +4 for my rdm for those few occasions I actually get to nuke with it some time ago, after having had both mirke and nuevo with different augments =P
By Duanyu 2010-02-23 22:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

this is my nuke set, any advice on some upgrades besides morri and novio.

I have relic pants and obi's for days and weather

I'm elvaan with 8/8 elemental and 5/5 on Burst/Freeze/Ice/and Thunder pot.
 Ifrit.Duanyu
Server: Ifrit
user: Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-02-23 22:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

ugh and 3/5 int merits...
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-02-23 23:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
As for Blind's set. Prudence beats ele neck with no elemental merits? Also, that set is waaaay over what my bank can handle lol. thats like what, 25 mil right there?
That wasn't my set actually I was just fixing a link from Haptic so his set showed.

This is what I currently use:

And this is what I plan to use, considering I'm going for Usu pieces first from Salvage:

If Sea puts out, Novio will take it's rightful place. For your uses I'd probably use ele torque instead of a +Int necklace. Sorcerer's Belt is ~= Witch's, one of them is free. Prism cape if you don't do Einherjar is fine, or if you can spend the money Ixion cape is real hot.

Get to augmenting those weskits though. If Dasva's record is proof of anything you'll be spending a lot of time augmenting them.
 Alexander.Haptic
Server: Alexander
user: Haptic
By Alexander.Haptic 2010-02-24 00:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, if you cannot do ele merits, I would highly suggest that you use AF hands, if possible get AF +1 hands. :D

I would use;
HQ staffs with ele grip, demon helm +1 if you dont have the af head +1. (would also worry about af hands +1 first).
Ele torque, Moldy + an 2 int earring.
NQ weskit, if you cant get a HQ.
Would Get vicious muffs + zenith, use zenith for HP - MP for sorc ring. Till you can get more zenith gear so you're able to full time the hands and still get benefit from ring.
Snow ring + sorc ring.
Prism cape + penitents rope (witch sash a tiny bit better, but get HQ weskit over this item). Mahatma slops, and goliard feet.

If you cant get all the items for sorc ring, get x2 snow or a omega ring till you can get a sorc. then use snow + sorc. Also the set of those earrings wouldnt be bad at all for you. The ones from the post above.

Thats just what I would do...
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-24 03:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn’t aimed at any one in particular, but this is my view on how a BLM should progress once they hit 75.

The first aim for a BLM is to get the 4 main HQ staves (Thunder, Ice, Dark, Wind) and a pretty solid ‘average’ damage set, this will act as your main nuking set for meriting and the few events you come on as BLM. Its main aim is to do the best DoT (so low resist rate).

As a fresh your skills and merits will be low so to do decent damage (over time) you will need a combination of skill/m.acc and INT/MAB. Later as your merits and gear get better you can start separating this ‘average’ damage set into 2 sets; the classical Skill and Max damage sets.

Once your ‘average’ damage set is up to scratch and you have the 4 staves then you should look into a solid enfeebling set. BLM has low natural skill, but gets a lot of ‘Enfeebling +’ gear. A good EG BLM’s enfeebling set should have as much skill as some ‘AH’ 75 RDMs (personally I hit 293 skill atm). Igqira head and legs are great starts (the legs are pretty affordable these days).
So now you have a decent all round nuking set, a decent enfeebling build and some decent merits your BLM is ready to really start attending events. You now have a few choices based on how you plan to use your BLM and how seriously you want to take it. Things most people add now are:

* A skill set (aka ‘320/120’) for nuking God/Jailers/Bosses/HNMs
* A real max damage set, which should be a beefed up version of your old ‘average’ damage. This is for Dynamis/Merits/Farming/Limbus/Einherjar (non boss). Here is where you would consider a Sorc ring.
* A Darkmagic set for Drain/Aspir (this should be a mix of skill and haste)
* A Stun set for magic casting mobs and stunning TP moves (this should be max haste, with some skill added)
* A resting set for people who want more nukes per minute

A ‘career’ BLM should have all of the above (and possibly some more besides), but less serious BLM could remove sets depending on what they are intending on doing.

What each set contains varies based on budget etc. But there should be plenty of ‘cookie’ cutter builds out there that you can copy.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-02-24 05:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
This isn’t aimed at any one in particular, but this is my view on how a BLM should progress once they hit 75.

The first aim for a BLM is to get the 4 main HQ staves (Thunder, Ice, Dark, Wind) and a pretty solid ‘average’ damage set, this will act as your main nuking set for meriting and the few events you come on as BLM. Its main aim is to do the best DoT (so low resist rate).

As a fresh your skills and merits will be low so to do decent damage (over time) you will need a combination of skill/m.acc and INT/MAB. Later as your merits and gear get better you can start separating this ‘average’ damage set into 2 sets; the classical Skill and Max damage sets.

Once your ‘average’ damage set is up to scratch and you have the 4 staves then you should look into a solid enfeebling set. BLM has low natural skill, but gets a lot of ‘Enfeebling ’ gear. A good EG BLM’s enfeebling set should have as much skill as some ‘AH’ 75 RDMs (personally I hit 293 skill atm). Igqira head and legs are great starts (the legs are pretty affordable these days).
So now you have a decent all round nuking set, a decent enfeebling build and some decent merits your BLM is ready to really start attending events. You now have a few choices based on how you plan to use your BLM and how seriously you want to take it. Things most people add now are:

* A skill set (aka ‘320/120’) for nuking God/Jailers/Bosses/HNMs
* A real max damage set, which should be a beefed up version of your old ‘average’ damage. This is for Dynamis/Merits/Farming/Limbus/Einherjar (non boss). Here is where you would consider a Sorc ring.
* A Darkmagic set for Drain/Aspir (this should be a mix of skill and haste)
* A Stun set for magic casting mobs and stunning TP moves (this should be max haste, with some skill added)
* A resting set for people who want more nukes per minute

A ‘career’ BLM should have all of the above (and possibly some more besides), but less serious BLM could remove sets depending on what they are intending on doing.

What each set contains varies based on budget etc. But there should be plenty of ‘cookie’ cutter builds out there that you can copy.

I'm sorry to quote all this, but I really like this. There isn't much more to be said. I reccamend this. d<^.^>b
 Seraph.Gael
Server: Seraph
user: Gael
By Seraph.Gael 2010-02-24 05:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

same ^^

(well not really agree about the haste in dark set, except if you are talking about nashira gear or augmented gear but you dont take them for the haste on it...
Look this 2 dark magic set :

Where do you want to add haste here... all spots are already taken)

And dont forget a survival set, a dead blm is useless

(and maybe a set for weather/day)
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-24 06:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gael said:
same ^^

(well not really agree about the haste in dark set, except if you are talking about nashira gear or augmented gear but you dont take them for the haste on it...
Look this 2 dark magic set :
Where do you want to add haste here... all spots are already taken)

And dont forget a survival set, a dead blm is useless

(and maybe a set for weather/day)

Personally I wear W.Turban, haste belt, and RR with fastcast on it.

That's enough to take ~10 seconds of my drain/aspir timer.

So every 5 aspir/drains you cast, I have cast 6 and I very much doubt the little bit of skill/m.acc I lose will be more than made up for by the fact I have cast one more time.

Drain/aspir is so random and unless you are casting on a very resistive target the little m.acc is unlike to make any odds.

I do have Nashira Turban and the dark magic belt, but rarely carry it as most of the time, casting more often is more effective than cast ‘more accuractly’

Day/weather sets (aka Sorc Tonban and Obis) should be something that comes in around the time you are developing your Max damage set.
 Seraph.Gael
By Seraph.Gael 2010-02-24 07:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Personally I wear W.Turban, haste belt, and RR with fastcast on it.

That's enough to take ~10 seconds of my drain/aspir timer.

So every 5 aspir/drains you cast, I have cast 6

Yes and no. Yes in theory you have your recast timer ready before me, but i dont think you will recast immediately (cause blm are focus on sleep/nuke/kite, ...)

I saw the difference between me and blm with haste on dark set, i agree on stun they spam it more than me, same with drain (idk why they come often /nin do they can not cure themself...) but on aspir, they don't cast more than me, because there is not aspirable mobs or because they are busy to do other things.

Do this test : Use the plugin "recast timer" if you use windower, you will see the 10 seconds (its more 6 sec with the gear you said, the rest will come from subjob) you have with the haste in you macro are almost useless all the time.

Kujata.Argettio said:
Drain/aspir is so random and unless you are casting on a very resistive target the little m.acc is unlike to make any odds.

It's random yes but not 100%, in dyna i always aspir bewteen 90 and 130 MP on rdm or whm mobs and until 201 mp on others (btw idk why its not on dark day i do the max number with my obi...)

Outside dyna, i always do the same range of number too, around 120-140 mp (unless i'm on a resistant mob like a god or a big NM, here the number is more random, maybe because they build a resistance)

Anyway i understand your choice, i just wanted to give an other way since it's supposed to be a topic for help other blm.
I see too many blm geared like old GS just because the always have 1 point of view (and often a bad one xD), or who do things without take 3 seconds to think about it (that why we always have question about 1 gear alone without take into consideration other gear, tier of nuke, level of mob, ...)

Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-24 08:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

On something like a lowman sky god or jailer or sea farming I Will be abusing the aspir as soon as it is ready.

True some the recast reduction is from /RDM, but still I will cast more stun/drain/aspir's per event than some one without a any haste, and I lose 2 skill and 5m.acc. M.acc only helps against resists (which aren't overly common) and 2 skill is barely going to have a measurable impact on the overall drain/aspir total.

There are going to be moments when your are casting something else when your timer is ready so you can't use it ASAP, but equally there will be situations where you are looking at recast screaming for stun/drain/aspir to be ready.

Drain is a very very effective damage dealing spell, it can do up to 300 damage for 21MP. I tend to use it when ever it is up, even if I am at 100HP (unless you are sleep nuking).

IMO the waist slot should be a haste item in a dark set, just because 2 skill is almost a negligible improvement. Where as 3-4% haste is quantifiable and could easily save your life at times.

But that's my view on it, I'm sure some people would disagree.
[+]
 Alexander.Haptic
Server: Alexander
user: Haptic
By Alexander.Haptic 2010-02-24 09:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my Stun, Drain and Aspir set.
I prefer the haste set up, especially for soloing and kiting.
If I'm kiting, I like to shave as much time of my stun or drain.

The body was made for this set only, with magic acc. + fast cast.

This my enf. skill:

Still working on sea capes. Last few things I need... >.>
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-24 09:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i just hit blm recently n this is how i got it geared so far for nuke:

selenian cap: int+4 macc/mab+2 hhp+3
didn't set a 2nd earring since the one i use is only mp+ atm
no merit in elemental n not sure if ill b able to put sum in unless i skip enfeeble since im doing blu magic skill +
working on getting relic n will do einherjar sumday but trying to get morrigan gear since its gonna help my blu too

feel free to tell me if im wrong: i know sum gear ain't the best but i still keep them since im working on maat cap. as soon sch n rdm will get high enough ill b able to upgrade.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-24 09:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Haptic said:

Nice sets, although if you have them (or can get them) Goliard clogs are better than Avocat for enfeebling.
Bismarck.Lighttaru said:
feel free to tell me if im wrong: i know sum gear ain't the best but i still keep them since im working on maat cap. as soon sch n rdm will get high enough ill b able to upgrade.

Sell witch sash, buy Prism cape, Mahatma Slops, Penitents Rope and an INT earring (you gain 2-3 INT and probably make a profit)
[+]
 Hades.Lumei
Server: Hades
user: Lumei
By Hades.Lumei 2010-02-24 10:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally this is the nuke set I'm looking forward to in a few levels if things sell :O

Empty ear slot Skill/INT/Noviowhenihaveenoughpoints
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-02-24 10:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
This isn’t aimed at any one in particular, but this is my view on how a BLM should progress once they hit 75. The first aim for a BLM is to get the 4 main HQ staves (Thunder, Ice, Dark, Wind) and a pretty solid ‘average’ damage set, this will act as your main nuking set for meriting and the few events you come on as BLM. Its main aim is to do the best DoT (so low resist rate). As a fresh your skills and merits will be low so to do decent damage (over time) you will need a combination of skill/m.acc and INT/MAB. Later as your merits and gear get better you can start separating this ‘average’ damage set into 2 sets; the classical Skill and Max damage sets. Once your ‘average’ damage set is up to scratch and you have the 4 staves then you should look into a solid enfeebling set. BLM has low natural skill, but gets a lot of ‘Enfeebling ’ gear. A good EG BLM’s enfeebling set should have as much skill as some ‘AH’ 75 RDMs (personally I hit 293 skill atm). Igqira head and legs are great starts (the legs are pretty affordable these days). So now you have a decent all round nuking set, a decent enfeebling build and some decent merits your BLM is ready to really start attending events. You now have a few choices based on how you plan to use your BLM and how seriously you want to take it. Things most people add now are: * A skill set (aka ‘320/120’) for nuking God/Jailers/Bosses/HNMs * A real max damage set, which should be a beefed up version of your old ‘average’ damage. This is for Dynamis/Merits/Farming/Limbus/Einherjar (non boss). Here is where you would consider a Sorc ring. * A Darkmagic set for Drain/Aspir (this should be a mix of skill and haste) * A Stun set for magic casting mobs and stunning TP moves (this should be max haste, with some skill added) * A resting set for people who want more nukes per minute A ‘career’ BLM should have all of the above (and possibly some more besides), but less serious BLM could remove sets depending on what they are intending on doing. What each set contains varies based on budget etc. But there should be plenty of ‘cookie’ cutter builds out there that you can copy.
I'm sorry to quote all this, but I really like this. There isn't much more to be said. I reccamend this. d<^.^>b

I also hate to quote all this again, but on the whole, it's very solid advice worth quoting. I would, however, like to add two things to it:

1) An Idle set. This can be as basic as a Black Cloak and an Earth Staff. More elaborate Idle gearsets can include more PDT, MDT, movement speed, and/or a piece of Igqira/Genie for the curse effect. At some point, this gearset (even the most basic one) will save your life, and even a 1 MP/tick Refresh really adds up during lengthy events.

2) Stoneskin. I see many, many BLMs cast Stoneskin in whatever gear they happen to be wearing while standing around. Most BLMs carry around more MND gear than they realize. With only a few gear purchases, it isn't too difficult to reach the 114 MND needed for a capped 350 damage Stoneskin (aside from Stone Gorget and Mufflers) as BLM/RDM. Like an idle set, this can also save your life. A dead BLM can't help control mobs or speed up kills.
 Lakshmi.Antonios
Server: Lakshmi
user: jokstr
By Lakshmi.Antonios 2010-02-24 10:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This my Nuking set:

This is My enfeeb set:

Seraph.Gael
By Seraph.Gael 2010-02-24 11:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Haptic said:
This my enf. skill:

*jealous about your legs*

Why a novio here ? a stat earring or a loquacious (for fast cast) should be better.
(other option is to sell enfeebling earring and equip the new magic acc +5 earrings)

I dont think you are trouble with resist but you can improve your set with a wizard coat +1, a Sturm's Report (which you can use in dark magic set) and like Argettio said goliard feet instead avocat.
 Hades.Bez
user: BezHades
By Hades.Bez 2010-02-24 11:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Why am I seeing so many people using Jet Seraweels in a nuke set these days?

There's no real reason to own the things over even NQ Errant, unless you have a build that needs MND legs to cap PLD/Magesub Stoneskin...

Omega Ring, on Enfeebs, fair game; but you're not really gaining anything on a nuke set from it, even against a Snow/Tamas/Omniscient, let alone Sorc. Ring. I see far too many BLM using it fulltime.
[+]
 Hades.Lumei
user: Lumei
By Hades.Lumei 2010-02-24 11:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

SERRAAAWEEEEEELLSSS

The new DOMMARRRRRUUUUUUUU
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-24 11:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Bez said:
Omega Ring, on Enfeebs, fair game; but you're not really gaining anything on a nuke set from it, even against a Snow/Tamas/Omniscient, let alone Sorc. Ring. I see far too many BLM using it fulltime.

It's a good ring for resist builds, but certainly not a full time ring.
[+]
 Hades.Bez
By Hades.Bez 2010-02-24 11:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even good for that.... can make 330+ skill and retain use of Tamas/Sorc. Ring. Using Sorc Ring instead of Omega is a MUCH bigger decrease than pretty much any other DMG~>MACC compromise you make in a 330+ build. If you can avoid using it; you should endeavour to.

Again, I guess it depends what else you have in other slots. I have no use for it whatsoever outside of Drain/Enfeebs.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 11:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably rather use snow for resist builds unless I know I'm nuking something with high resist and low int. Most really resistant things have high enough int though that the snow ring will only be about 1 macc behind omega. At that point I'd say the dmg from 2 int outweights that 1macc
 Seraph.Gael
By Seraph.Gael 2010-02-24 11:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Bez said:
Why am I seeing so many people using Jet Seraweels in a nuke set these days?

There's no real reason to own the things over even NQ Errant, unless you have a build that needs MND legs to cap PLD/Magesub Stoneskin...

It's not because you don't understand that there is no reason.
Errant (and mahatma) have negative stats. Maybe you don't care of it, others not.

(plus Jet Seraweels have MP, not errant/mahatma)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 11:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah and even for new blms I'd recommend HQ wind. If nothing else you will be using gravity alot for meritting
[+]
 Hades.Bez
By Hades.Bez 2010-02-24 11:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, as an Elvaan its more often I'll find rather than a skill resist, that I'll faceplant into the wall of dINT on things that really matter, since I'm closer to 330/110 than 330/120 most of the time; which O. Ring still wouldnt help with as much compared with 2x Snow/Omniscient or Tamas.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-24 12:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gael said:
Hades.Bez said:
Why am I seeing so many people using Jet Seraweels in a nuke set these days? There's no real reason to own the things over even NQ Errant, unless you have a build that needs MND legs to cap PLD/Magesub Stoneskin...
It's not because you don't understand that there is no reason. Errant (and mahatma) have negative stats. Maybe you don't care of it, others not.
No one cares about str or dex on a mage. Alot of the endgame mobs will cap fstr and acc on you unless you really really gear to it. I mean you could go into how errant has more def...

the real point is jet seraweels cost about the same as mahatma legs which are clearly superior in everyway for a mage
[+]
 Hades.Bez
By Hades.Bez 2010-02-24 12:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Negative Stats on Mahatma mean purely nothing, since you can macro them out when you have any chance of being hit/after nukes. You should have at the very least a rudimentary PDT/having hate setup, even if it is only "Terra staff+'notmatahtamlegs'", and Jets aren't even applicable there.

Goliard, Ig/Genie for the curse proc, ASA Legs with PDT or movespeed, anything with more DEF than Jets.... ect. All beat everything Jets have to offer even in a "standing around doing nothing/being hit" capacity.

Like I said, unless you 100% need MND legs to cap Stoneskin on PLD, Jets have no viable use for anything, ever.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7