Virus Detection After Visiting Ffxiah.com And Starting Pol.exe

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » Virus Detection after visiting ffxiah.com and starting pol.exe
Virus Detection after visiting ffxiah.com and starting pol.exe
 Caitsith.Stephenmay
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Stephenmay 2009-09-04 16:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I'm a big fan of your website as I use it very often. I'm just trying to retrace my steps. my virus scan is always updated with fulltime protection on.

I logged onto my computer today, visited ffxiah.com, checked my hotmail and closed my browser. After that, I tried to start pol.exe and McAfee realtime scan caught a trojan and deleted it. now my pol.exe won't work. here is the log below:

One or more items were detected on your computer.
Detection name: Artemis!0BD381EB8525 (Trojan), Artemis!0BD381EB8525 (Trojan)

File:C:\Games\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\patchfiles\PlayOnlineViewer\viewer\com\polcore.dll

Process:C:\Games\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pol.exe

Process Description:PlayOnline Viewer

any thoughts?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-04 16:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Reinstall POL?
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-04 16:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the same thing happened to me. This was my post PoL Viewer

I asked on BG and they showed me this topic Ignoring files with McAfee but I don't quite understand. But they do say to uninstall McAfee.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
Server: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-04 16:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Triet said:

I asked on BG and they showed me this topic Ignoring files with McAfee but I don't quite understand. But they do say to uninstall McAfee.

Get a real antivirus program. I use Avira myself.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-04 16:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:
Triet said:

Get a real antivirus program. I use Avira myself.

I will have to look into that I still have about 1 year on McAfee :/

also "It's a false positive, already been confirmed. We just need to wait for Mcafee to release an update to fix the issue." (Thank jeebus I have PS2 FF><')
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-04 16:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

False positives are common and occurred here and there with Windower as well, so if BG was able to confirm that it is a false positive you should feel at ease. McAfee isn't bad or anything, but the free options such as Avira work just as well and save you money in the end, that's all.
 Shiva.Dharkhon
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Dharkhon 2009-09-04 16:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Avast ... Free, and if you sign up for the home version you get a year of updates as well.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-04 17:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Which reminds me, if anyone needs an anti-virus I did a short write-up awhile back: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/index.php?topic_id=3444

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-04 17:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hah, I have 3 Antivirus Programs. AVG Free, McAfee - Paid, Avast - Free, plus Ad-aware, CCleaner, and Advanced SystemCare - Free. . .is that bad? xD

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-04 17:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Will look into it Mr.Mustachio! I </3 the research(reading comments >_>) to find a legit file. Also would it work on Vista?

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-04 17:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Triet said:
Hah, I have 3 Antivirus Programs. AVG Free, McAfee - Paid, Avast - Free, plus Ad-aware, CCleaner, and Advanced SystemCare - Free. . .is that bad? xD
All the AVs are fine, but having more than 1 can actually do more harm than good as they may begin to detect each other and start to disable core functions. No need to pirate or pay money, Avast! is top notch and will cover your butt for most anything.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
Server: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-04 17:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Triet said:
All the AVs are fine, but having more than 1 can actually do more harm than good as they may begin to detect each other and start to disable core functions. No need to pirate or pay money, Avast! is top notch and will cover your butt for most anything.

>.> So will Avira, despite the giant popup ad to upgrade.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-04 18:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:
Caiyuo said:
Triet said:

>.> So will Avira, despite the giant popup ad to upgrade.
You can get rid of that really easily actually. lol Involves booting into safe mode, but I don't mind helping if you're interested in doing so. I personally use Avira now, but used Avast! for almost 3 years exclusively and with common sense browsing have never had any problematic infections.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-04 18:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem 1) Installing McAfee problem 2) paying for it problem 3) Not killing yourself for using it.

Solution: Get rid of McAfee and your life will be much easier
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-04 18:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought of something. If McAfee saw polcore.dll as a trojan does that mean it deleted it or moved it to a vault that will allow it to be restored at a later time? With that in mind, would I have to reinstall PoL regardless?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-04 18:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Triet said:
Just thought of something. If McAfee saw polcore.dll as a trojan does that mean it deleted it or moved it to a vault that will allow it to be restored at a later time? With that in mind, would I have to reinstall PoL regardless?
Depending on your settings, like if it automatically deals with "threats" as it finds them then all you'd need to do is open McAfee, find wherever the vault file listing is and if it's there, tell McAfee to restore it. If you can do this you shouldn't need to reinstall POL. Even if you did reinstall POL without dealing with McAfee first you'd likely just run into the same problem shortly after. D:
 Caitsith.Stephenmay
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Stephenmay 2009-09-04 19:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for all the input everyone. what i've done as a temp fix is to restore the polcore.dll and disable mcafee before running pol.exe. after playonline is up and running, re-enable mcafee. i contacted mcafee about the problem, but it will take their labs 4-6 days to review the polcore.dll file, so don't expect any fixes to this until that time has elapsed.
 Hades.Ethereal
By Hades.Ethereal 2009-09-04 19:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used AVG, Avast, Mcafee,Nortons and to be honest sometimes your better without. AVG in particular, when you uninstall it, it has been noted to leave you with several problems and you gotta go through much crap to fix it. Norton's is just plain annoying and useless, it bugs at the worst times. Avast is slow as hell. Probably be best to do a lil research on various anti-virus protection, get some feedback from actual people and not from the same site you'd get the program from.
Running on AVG myself and it's automatic virus scan slows your computer down big time, and it gets no where when scanning.