The Great Debate: Week 1
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-04 00:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if this is going to work but I want to give it a shot. The idea of this thread is to discuss and debate topics in a mature environment with evidence to support ideas. I don't want to see this turn into a flame thread but provide some interesting discussions on these forums where a lot of the oldies are lurking more than posting. If this turns into a flame thread this won't be happening again. Think of it as an experiment so please don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Things to remember:
No attacks on other posters. If you have an opinion that is different to someone else, say so and provide evidence to support your opinion.
No one is wrong in their opinions, it's an opinion. If you post however please expect people to make responses to what you say. This means keep an open mind. If you're not prepared to have someone think differently to you maybe it's best if you don't post.

I'll try make it a bit of fun and hopefully something everyone can have something to say on. If people have ideas for the next weeks topic (if this works) send me a PM.

Topic for the Week:
Should schools require students to wear a school uniform?
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-04 00:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll start off with "No," but I always debated this myself.

I believe that clothing is a form of expression, and uniforms will only ultimately help take away a sense of uniquity (is that a word?).

Not only that, but the thought of going to teach my class of 1st-5th graders (I'm a HS Student Teacher) and not seeing them bloom through the year (Not sexually, Lu, but in my older classes you could see their preferences and styles growing with personality) is kind of scary.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-04 00:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it was weird. "You can only learn here if you wear these clothes!"
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 00:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo, having done both, Yes and No, Yes because it lets it so kids dont get cloths made fun of, but no for the same reason as Sect,(Uniqueness)

A good question, I didn't find the lack of being able to choose cloths stifling my uniqueness
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-04 01:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure I can see each idea lasting a week. >_>;
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-04 01:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna say no. I went to a school that required uniform and it bugged the ***out of me. Being in elementary school and wearing slacks, a yellow dress shirt and tie was the bane of my childhood. I dropped it when I went to middle and high school, and I liked wearing what I wanted better. I was comfortable, and so was everyone else.

Now that I'm an adult, I DO own a few suits, even though I rarely wear them. But when I do, I feel grown and distinguished. A feeling I wouldn't have if I was forced to wear them every day for 12 years. I think a good suit should make any man feel good about himself, not make him remember his childhood.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 01:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:

Make them daily... or 2 days :o

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-04 01:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's a good idea. I like the fact that everyone gets the same chance at looking proper, no matter how much money your family have etc.

At the same time im for individual expressionism, which makes my previous statement invalid XD. Tough topic.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 01:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Celelove said:
Well, to answer the question, i'd say yes and no.

Why yes? Because people wouldn't make fun of someone else for their taste of clothing.

Why no? Because it takes away the freedom to be yourself.

:D
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-04 01:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:

Yeh I think you're right, maybe I'll do it once every topic has reached its end.

I actually spent all my school years wearing uniforms so I'm not sure of what not wearing uniforms would be like. I had no issue with it because I always knew I had something to wear. It also brought around fun times when we had free-dress days.

With the schools that had no uniforms, were you allowed to wear literally whatever you wanted?
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 01:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Within school rules, like girls cant do spaghetti straps X thin, and cant show underwear, general clothing rules.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-04 01:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, around here I think there are a few rarely enforced rules. No short-shorts and tank tops, was it? Either way, as long as your shirt didn't say something OVERLY obscene--'lesser' swears are sometimes allowed--or have an obscene graphic, you're pretty much left alone.
 Ramuh.Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-04 01:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Karusan said:

With the schools that had no uniforms, were you allowed to wear literally whatever you wanted?

Not sure how you do it in the rest of the world, but in Sweden we have no dress code. And we can pretty much wear w/e we feel like, aslong as it's not offencive clothing (Rasist t-shirts, sexual content etc.)

Edit: Yes we allow short-short's and tank tops.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-04 01:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Karusan said:

Most schools have dress codes. Some more strict then others. Like in my School...you werent allowed to wear skirts/shorts above the knee line thing...(while the saggy old principal wore hooker skirts EWW!)
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-09-04 01:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I wore a uniform in middle school, at first I hated it. But after a while I didn't mind, it saved me from doing laundry and having so much clothes dirty.

I think it has it's good sides. If you see the economy now, I would suggest uniforms to help reduce spending costs for school clothes.

I wish my daughter had a uniform, it would make things easier for me than always buying new stuff for school.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-04 01:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Karusan said:

Most schools have dress codes. Some more strict then others. Like in my School...you werent allowed to wear skirts/shorts above the knee line thing...(while the saggy old principal wore hooker skirts EWW!)

>.> No wonder your into little girls.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-04 01:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pfft. Uniforms are a bad idea for parents to agree upon. If I was in middle school/high school at that age surrounded by women in skirts? Best believe I would have laid a lot more than I did. That deserted sixth floor in my school building would have been a lot busier than it was. xD
 Ramuh.Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-04 01:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH i'd have liked the Schooluniform and all that for myself. And (don't know the english word but in Sweden it would be Internat-School. You know when you live at the school full term etc.) would have been cool too.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-04 01:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Think you mean what we like to call "dorming."

Actually, I can imagine it being a little fun in a college environment. Sounds like FFVIII lol
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 01:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Miemo said:
TBH i'd have liked the Schooluniform and all that for myself. And (don't know the english word but in Sweden it would be Internat-School. You know when you live at the school full term etc.) would have been cool too.

Boarding School I believe is what you are looking for.

Edit**

In college its dorming though yes.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-04 01:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Pfft. Uniforms are a bad idea for parents to agree upon. If I was in middle school/high school at that age surrounded by women in skirts? Best believe I would have laid a lot more than I did. That deserted sixth floor in my school building would have been a lot busier than it was. xD

most school uniforms are fugly ._.
 Ramuh.Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-04 01:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Think you mean what we like to call "dorming."

Actually, I can imagine it being a little fun in a college environment. Sounds like Harry Potter lol

- Fixed lol
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-09-04 01:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutly. I grew up dirt poor and our schools didn't have uniforms. I often worried about outdated styles and hand me down cloths. Being an adult I really could care less now but that kind of thing bothers kids. The uniforms that the middle schools use here are usually about 40 bucks for a set and with shoes being the next best expensive thing families can afford to have their kids go to school with one less thing to worry about.
[+]
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-04 01:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps it can be said that the uniforms aren't the problem, rather they problem came from the manifestation of the materialistic society?
 Ramuh.Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-04 01:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Perhaps it can be said that the uniforms aren't the problem, rather they problem came from the manifestation of the materialistic society?

I blame Einstein.
 Asura.Gavvy
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-09-04 01:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I just left High School...

Everyone customises thier uniform anyways, so I don't really see the point of it. The reason they give is to make everyone the same, so people who don't have alot of money aren't look down on cause they don't have xzy piece of new clothing. In my school, which was a mix of people who lived in council houses, to those who lived in 500k+ houses you couldn't really tell the diference when not in uniform :3 Granted we all shopped in the same shops (our school was on the door step of McArthur Glen shopping center in Scotland). Everyones more comfortable in jeans and tshirts, than cheapass polyw/e poloshirts/trousers/incredibly hot shirts.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-04 01:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:

Indeed this is true, because people are so materialistic kids are afraid of what they wear rather then being themselves, and in all honesty uniforms kinda take that outa the equation, BUT, they would find something else to pick on :/
 Titan.Alyssah
Server: Titan
user: Alyssah
By Titan.Alyssah 2009-09-04 01:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should all wear nothing.
[+]
 Asura.Gavvy
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-09-04 01:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyssah said:
I think we should all wear nothing.

Only the hot guys. Girls/mingers in frumpyness pls.
First Page 2 3 4 5