Why Admit To Using Questionable Programs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Why admit to using questionable programs?
Why admit to using questionable programs?
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-02-18 17:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik if I was a woman id happily have your children :3
 Shiva.Farseer
Server: Shiva
user: Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2009-02-18 17:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this happen to anyone els who forgets to unload recast while taking a screen shot? Logged into this in my inbox last week =/
----------
Reported you
Tsk Tsk you came so far just to get banned shouldn't post pics of windower. I have reported you to GM And Special task force see you again. Ragnarok.Vanna
----------
RE: Reported you
seems you are more of a retard for posting pics with windower for the public to see. hope you get banned and you can thank me for it.

https://secure.playonline.com/supportus/exmf.html#stt

Do you need it? see you again.
----------

Crazy person hates me QQ
 Asura.Volition
Server: Asura
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-02-18 17:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Korpg said:
Lets make a quote train
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-18 19:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL oh.. Well firstly i apologize for bringing up a repeat topic.

Basically my point was stated in Woo~ first post. Actually my whole idea. You cant punish over a picture, but a GM could see that. anyways..

A lot of little things that unofficial windower gives you I think we should have anyways, been told its PS2's fault for not, and don't think they give a big advantage. I just dont see why someone would even remotely admit to basically cheating, if they like playing the game.
 Shiva.Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2009-02-18 20:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I can honestly say that if they found a way to permanently break windower... i would probably quit =/ i mean can it be that hard to give more than 8 macro lines per macro? and the shortest wait be /wait 1? also about recast, some sort of HUD like any other game would not be that hard to implement. I mean Guild wars worked well and you could move every item of the HUD. /rantoff
 Lakshmi.Vudian
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vudian
By Lakshmi.Vudian 2009-02-18 21:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just going to be vary simple with my post here, ALOT of ppl use windower. yes its "Cheating" but so is using Wiki for info and ffxiah.com. Don't even say its not, being able to see what you have to do for a quest while not using the info given in game is cheating. Looking up stuff on the AH while not near the AH is cheating. The sites and programs get used because they are are helpfull. Windower lets you use 1 macro for gear, instead of 2. its not really as bad as it is made out to be. On top of it all, anyone who uses them knows there is the risk of getting busted with them. If they want to take the risk, let them. there own fault. The ppl out there that report someone then go "HAHAHA i reported you for using a 3rd party program hahahaha" or w/e they say, are just making *** of them selfs. Truth be told if SE really wanted to they could put a end to Windower
 Shiva.Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2009-02-18 21:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They could kill windower by implementing the kind of technology that the current widower uses. But they seem to be too busy banning people for issues they have known about for months. (bring back duping drama) Their attempt ad making a pol windowed mode was so bad i think i could have odne better with absolutely no programming skills ><
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-18 21:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
being able to see what you have to do for a quest while not using the info given in game is cheating.

Cheating is doing something against the rules. Nothing else. As long as you respect the rules, it's not cheating.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-02-18 21:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If you've ever called a GM for something, like a 'friend' borrowing an item, and saying they wont return them, a GM will tell you they wont take Screenshots as proof... If they wont use screenshots to prove that someone had taken the item, or had said "lol, yeah i took your stuff and im not giving it back," then they most likely wont ban someone for using windower because there is a screenshot of it.

Vudian said:
Truth be told if SE really wanted to they could put a end to Windower

But would they take time out of their busy schedule to? :|
 Sylph.Feyen
Server: Sylph
user: Hiachi
By Sylph.Feyen 2009-02-18 22:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Farseer said:
Does this happen to anyone els who forgets to unload recast while taking a screen shot? Logged into this in my inbox last week =/
----------
Reported you
Tsk Tsk you came so far just to get banned shouldn't post pics of windower. I have reported you to GM And Special task force see you again. Ragnarok.Vanna
----------
RE: Reported you
seems you are more of a retard for posting pics with windower for the public to see. hope you get banned and you can thank me for it.

https://secure.playonline.com/supportus/exmf.html#stt

Do you need it? see you again.
----------

Crazy person hates me QQ

The problem is, SE cannot prove that you are the owner of the character in question, nor can they prove that the screenshot is not a product of Photoshoppe.

The most they could do is take that as 'evidence' and talk to you in-game. However, unless you self-incriminate yourself, they cannot prove anything in-game either, as Aikar/Starhawk's windower nor its approved plugins do not send any data to the server that the client does not already send, and thus is undetectable...unless you admit you use it.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-02-18 23:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The irony of people arguing that Windower is cheating on a FFXIAH.com message board never ceases to amuse me.

You guys do know we're the same people, right? The core technology behind Windower, and the core technology behind FFXIAH.com, were both written by Cliff, one of our site admins. Hell, even I was around during most of the original development of Windower. (Leave it to a samurai to dream up seeing group members' TP.) The maintenance of the Windower code base has since been taken over by another development group with a slightly different ideology, but the point is the same.

Did you know that at one point, the extended macro system that Windower has now was actually a fully-featured reactive scripting system? You could automate your entire character. You could conceivably teach it how to pull, how to buff and heal your group when they needed it, how to fight mobs, even how to automatically do missions and quests, and then give those scripts to other people. I still have a copy of the prototype -- it works quite well.

Did you know that if we wanted to, we could so dramatically improve the Crafting section on FFXIAH.com that it could automatically compute the exact best personalized money-making synth for you at any moment, based off over a dozen existing market figures, day/crystal combinations, and your players' synth skills? We have the data -- it wouldn't be hard to implement.

But the scripting system for Windower was never released, and you will never see that kind of crafting functionality on FFXIAH.com.

Why not?

As per my previous post in this thread, because Terms of Service agreements are not legally binding documents, the only "rules" in FF: Online are what any given GM tells any given person on any given day. Everything else is just guidelines. But what will make SE start banning people indiscriminately is if a particular tool starts to give enough of an unfair advantage that they begin to lose subscribers over it. As such, it is our duty as 3rd party developers to make sure our tools never cross that line.

But to sit on an FFXIAH.com message board and accuse Windower users of "cheating," due to some non-existent ethical violation, is quite simply laughable.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-18 23:50:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
The irony of people arguing that Windower is cheating on a FFXIAH.com message board never ceases to amuse me.

You guys do know we're the same people, right? The core technology behind Windower, and the core technology behind FFXIAH.com, were both written by Cliff, one of our site admins. Hell, even I was around during most of the original development of Windower. (Leave it to a samurai to dream up seeing group members' TP.) The maintenance of the Windower code base has since been taken over by another development group with a slightly different ideology, but the point is the same.

Did you know that at one point, the extended macro system that Windower has now was actually a fully-featured reactive scripting system? You could automate your entire character. You could conceivably teach it how to pull, how to buff and heal your group when they needed it, how to fight mobs, even how to automatically do missions and quests, and then give those scripts to other people. I still have a copy of the prototype -- it works quite well.

Did you know that if we wanted to, we could so dramatically improve the Crafting section on FFXIAH.com that it could automatically compute the exact best personalized money-making synth for you at any moment, based off over a dozen existing market figures, day/crystal combinations, and your players' synth skills? We have the data -- it wouldn't be hard to implement.

But the scripting system for Windower was never released, and you will never see that kind of crafting functionality on FFXIAH.com.

Why not?

As per my previous post in this thread, because Terms of Service agreements are not legally binding documents, the only "rules" in FF: Online are what any given GM tells any given person on any given day. Everything else is just guidelines. But what will make SE start banning people indiscriminately is if a particular tool starts to give enough of an unfair advantage that they begin to lose subscribers over it. As such, it is our duty as 3rd party developers to make sure our tools never cross that line.

But to sit on an FFXIAH.com message board and accuse Windower users of "cheating," due to some non-existent ethical violation, is quite simply laughable.

/kneel
 Midgardsormr.Thris
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Thris
By Midgardsormr.Thris 2009-02-19 00:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Tavlov said:
why do ppl admit to using windower and other questionable programs, via forums or pictures?

I will be logging soon, so ill reply tomorrow.

If enough people admit they do something, it eventually becomes acceptable.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zaps
user: Zaps
By Lakshmi.Zaps 2009-02-19 01:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

Why not?

you sir, are made of win
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-02-19 05:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

Why not?

/salute
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-19 05:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

Why not?

That explains alot....
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-19 21:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
As such, it is our duty as 3rd party developers to make sure our tools never cross that line.

Should give the developers of App, Nasa, etc the link to this topic to remind them of that fact. I'm not so sure they care about their duties quite as much as you do.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-19 23:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

Why not?

I remember Cliff!!!! Thanks for the explanation, Jaerik--as always, thorough and completely logical, /salute!!
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [72 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-05-03 03:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah Jaerik's words of wisdom are like liquid awesomeness going in my eye-holes.
[+]
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-03 03:38:51
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Wardens said:
Ah Jaerik's words of wisdom are like liquid awesomeness going in my eye-holes.

lmao you necro bumpin foo

but Jaerik's is 110% on the money
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-05-03 03:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah he is....
 Titan.Azarasi
Server: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-05-03 03:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I killed 7 people but you don't see me braggin
 Bahamut.Atrithk
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-05-03 04:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower isn't illegal, but it will make you CASUAL.
If you want everything spoonfed to you like that, gb2/WoW/
 Asura.Kyoroku
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-03 04:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:

Ah, yet another fanatic that thinks Windower is the devil and degrades your ability to play the game. Let me know when you get a job to 75 and stop tping in STR rings.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-05-03 04:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyoroku said:
Atrithk said:

Ah, yet another fanatic that thinks Windower is the devil and degrades your ability to play the game. Let me know when you get a job to 75 and stop tping in STR rings.

***.... OWNED...

rofl
[+]
 Cerberus.Radaghast
Server: Cerberus
user: Radaghast
By Cerberus.Radaghast 2009-05-03 05:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Tavlov said:
why do ppl admit to using windower and other questionable programs, via forums or pictures?

... for the same reasons O.J. wrote "If I did it".

For the lulz man... for the lulz!
 Cerberus.Radaghast
Server: Cerberus
user: Radaghast
By Cerberus.Radaghast 2009-05-03 05:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Vudian said:
Truth be told if SE really wanted to they could put a end to Windower

How?

They tried a patch a few years ago for PoL.

It worked. If you opened ffxi via windower, it wouldn't allow you to do it.

I think they had a new version of windower available within 6 or 7, whole, hours.

Good luck stopping that. :)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-03 06:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Radaghast said:
Tavlov said:

... for the same reasons O.J. wrote "If I did it".

For the lulz man... for the lulz!

Lol at questionable. The only 3rd pt program I can think of that is merely "questionable" and not strictly forbidden is windower with 0 plugins. Since SE is big on the whole "unfair advantage" thing. But yeah seriously they cant prove ***from these forums. Ironically windower has helped put good things into ffxi. Windowed mode for all its flaws is still windowed playing autosort works like a champ I believe even better then the windower plug in(havent tried it so not sure). Now if they only let you do more then 7 lines of maccros lol. Especially since windower maccros are a serious pain to make and use which would be the only reason I dont use them despite the desire for more then 7 lines. Just about all the other addons except others tp can be found fairly easily in game you just gotta use it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-03 06:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

All i have to say is holy ***thatd be game breaking.

Jaerik said:

Not sure if this is such a bad idea. Useful tool and all but not really unfair advantage. Its not like the time it takes to look it up on here is gonna make a difference unlike in game advantages where a small amount of time can make a big difference.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-03 06:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Too many touchy people out there who are ready to point fingers at people who use the wikis to figure out quests and junk.

I play on my 360 so guess what, I have my entire computer screen to look up information.

And just to clarify...

To cheat = to violate rules dishonestly

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.