What Lvl Is It Too High To Have A PL?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
First Page 2 3 4
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-01-06 04:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me preface this question with the fact i have never asked anyone in my ffxi career for a Plvl, and never will.

Though i have never asked doesnt mean i will deny a pty with a plvl.

My question is at what lvl should you start learning how to do your job and stop getting Plvl'ed?

This is comming from a comment an LS mate told me about a pty he was in when a tank said "I am not tanking let the PL tank"

I hate the dunes as much as you do, and there are a lot of times when just getting to lvl 24-25 is a godsend...but is that Plvl gonna hurt you in the long run if you get it 10-37? if its a job youre gonna take to 75?

I feel players are better to not have the PL since if you can tank IT++ at 24-37 it just gets easier from then on out....i mean i think about it...would you rather have a pld...nin...whm...rdm at lvl 40 who has never actually played their job or someone who actually played their job the whole time?
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-06 04:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Should really stop with the PLs at 50 utmost latest. To be honest a good pt doesnt need a PL but on some occasions they can be great, get a merit setup (all DDs maybe 1 buffer) and a PL and you can cruise through mobs and xp.

The faster you level up the less time you have to learn your job imo though so its a risk to be PL'd up the levels especially now with level sync.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-06 04:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

depends on your job I'd say. having a lv 40+ nin in a party, and he never really tanked, thats gonna hurt. he wont be able to keep shadows up, wont know how to count them and stuff like that.
 Gilgamesh.Raulin
Server: Gilgamesh
user: raulin
By Gilgamesh.Raulin 2009-01-06 04:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

the pl is not good... a lot of players whit pl dont know his job or dont know how to play cose aver playing whit pl and the pl tank/heal.
if you can play whiout pl is a bit slow so you will learn how works your job
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-06 05:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

at level 1

have fun
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-01-06 05:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think PL'ing is the problem, its more the player that gets PL'd who doesnt want to learn the job!
Really is a War not gonna know how 2 DD bc he got PL'd? Doubt it!

Is a PLD who Wants to play PLD probley not gonna learn the job? No he's still gonna tank he's still gonna get hate even more so he'll be better @ the job bc he's trying 2 keep hate with someone who's also mostly trying 2 get hate!

But if you get a pld who doesnt really want to play the job then yes he's not gonna learn how 2 play the job, So this isnt a PL fault that a player doesnt know how2 play a job but the player himself who doesnt want to play the job!
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-06 05:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Knightofdragons said:
Is a PLD who Wants to play PLD probley not gonna learn the job? No he's still gonna tank he's still gonna get hate even more so he'll be better @ the job bc he's trying 2 keep hate with someone who's also mostly trying 2 get hate!

a good PL does not want a mob to be voked by tank to save mp. The same way he doesnt want a healer to cure so PL can get hate.

so yeah i think a pld & a healer will not learn their job.

If you say a DD will learn their job... do they really? most "only DD" players dont know how to "walk the line" and yeah i do blame PL for that

ok i blame ppl buying accounts more than PL... but anyway... PL is not the end of the world, the evil downfal of the game... but surely makes alot of bad players :p
 Ragnarok.Rusko
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rusko
By Ragnarok.Rusko 2009-01-06 05:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
at level 1 have fun

agreed.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-06 06:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with power levelling for the simple reason that you need to play the job properly to be able to learn it and if that means you learn the hard way then so be it!
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-01-06 06:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm what lvl is too high?

I'm gonna say 75, cos if your a 75 and someone who is pl'ing you is a 75 then its a party.

Serious answer though, once you can campaign there isnt really a need for pl's
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-06 07:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

See.. now I'm gonna get stabbed.

I do and don't agree with PL'ing.

Personally, I dual box and PL myself occasionally. Does it stop me from knowing how to do my job? I don't think so personally.

Now, I'm nowhere near perfect, in fact I probably secretly suck at all my jobs and no-one tells me.

Typically I only use PL's through "tough" levels (think dunes.. >.>) and/or occasionally in LS only pt's. I don't expect a PL, I don't want a PL 99% of the time.

If a person is willing to put in the research to line how to use their job effectively in and out of a PT, then PL's can be awesome! Personally I like to read up as much as I can on jobs, I probably don't understand half of what I read, but most of it is aimed at 70+ when you get access to some of the best gear in the game. So I have a good idea of how most JA's and spells around my level work. I know a lot of people don't do this, and have almost no idea how some JA's /should/ be used.

I have 19PLD, or 18.. I forget, yet there are countless times I've DB'd WHM + PLD, held hate off 3 buffed DD + kept everyone in white hp and still managed to make a member of a majorly LS only PT (5/6 LS ._.) believe I was a halfway decent PLD.

I've DB'd BRD + RDM, kept my NIN tank alive at several NM's, kept my PLD/NIN tanks alive in sky.

I think it comes down to how much research a person puts into their job, as to whether or not a PL is a good/bad idea.

I'll be starting another character soon, and I'll sure as hell be PL'ing it to 37 then getting my SJ. I won't need to worry about PT's. I won't need to worry about EXP because I'll have the knowledge of every one of my 75's + research I've done on other jobs anyway.

I've had so many PLD that think Flash is their only hate tool. So many WHM that don't use Regen or Haste. RDM's that never use Refresh.

There's only so much you can learn on the spot, the rest has to come from previous experience.
 Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt 2009-01-06 08:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I PL myself by not really Curing but I have a Haste Macro that I hit to keep haste on all the DD's.

/ma "Haste" Scuzz
/wait 23
/ma "Haste" You
/wait 23
/ma "Haste" Yourfriend

Helps out a ton and also I have R2-R3 if someone takes a spill.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-06 09:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You never have to learn to do your job.

The first time I played whm was on my friend's account and it was already 75. I was better than most people who leveled whm from 1-75.

So your question, "My question is at what lvl should you start learning how to do your job and stop getting Plvl'ed?", is built on a false premise.

Get a power level any time you want, because it has nothing to do with doing your job right. When you exp you want the most exp as possible, and if you don't do your job you will get less exp than if you do it right.
 Pandemonium.Weisheng
Server: Pandemonium
user: Weisheng
By Pandemonium.Weisheng 2009-01-06 09:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined an XP PT with a lvl 33 WHM that had a PL @ GC. The WHM bragged how he had the PL since lvl 16 in the dunes. LVL 38 the next day I joined the same WHM @ the desert OP. We targeted Goblins <Suicide XP is the best!> The WHM did not have his PL friend for apperantly his first time XPing since he attained lvl 16. The WHM had no idea what barfira was, how to cure or even got the concept of regen.

The funny thing was at the start of the party he bragged for having his staff capped and he was gonna teach us all how to be a mellee WHM. Go Go Go PL!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-06 10:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
It's like carrying a child for the first 7 years of his/her life, then expecting him to just get up and walk anywhere.

eheh :) I think you said more with this than all of us put together :p

does anyone think if the child would read about walking, would learn how to walk?
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2009-01-06 10:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that the only jobs that a PL hurts is mages (healing) and tanks. Anyone can heal or tank, but it does take some skill to be good at it. If you are PL'd all the way until 40 (40 is the point to stop IMO) you can still play and learn your jobs, you just might not have the skills other players have at that point. Also, once you have a 75 job or 2, you for the most part are gonna know how to play most jobs anyways, so it really is not gonna affect you to be PL'd during your lower levels. It does however affect the new players out there, alot now feel like the only way they can make it through the dunes/quifim is to be PL'd and some even seem to expect it... Dunno... what can you do?
 Bahamut.Danagon
Server: Bahamut
user: Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-01-06 11:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

imo a PL is never really needed in a good pt being dunes or a meritpo but when you got a bad partying going PL (Yes, Please)but imo 55+ = party learn the hard way about there own jobs and 55+ when PLing shouldnt happen :p
 Shiva.Samanosuke
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Samanosuke 2009-01-06 11:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

lv76
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-06 11:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
On the other hand if you're planning on playing Whitemage *exclusively* I'd advise against a PL for the first 30-35 levels.

Why?

This game is easy, seriously. You can just read a few guides and be good. That, and the first 35 levels of white mage are nothing like the last 35 levels.

Final fantasy is 95% preparation and 5% skill. When my friends start I just tell them the basics, give them a little gear, and tell them what macros to make. They do fine.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-06 11:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The only time my Friend PL's us is when he goes Red/Whm and if he starts with his Sch in my party, with my RGR and we noticed a Whm went AFK..

Well that certianly doesn't go over well, b/c we need this whm, so we just inv an all DD party except 1 blm, and he my friend comes back as a 75 Red/37 Whm and Pl's the party.

IF you have an all out DD party, and there are no tanks, no healers.. or w.e then I can't see why a Pl is not ok.. If your 75 and you have a PL then idk depends on the situation.

But if there are no tanks or healers and the PL is willing.. then hey , all the power for a PL!\

this is just a discretionary call really?
 Siren.Bungie
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-01-06 11:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Samanosuke said:
lv76
 Diabolos.Wraith
Server: Diabolos
user: Wraith
By Diabolos.Wraith 2009-01-06 11:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part PL's IMO are for the "we will take what we can get party" non traditional setups that may not work at the camp where you are at or maybe when a tank is not available just my thought take care.
 Gilgamesh.Raulin
By Gilgamesh.Raulin 2009-01-06 11:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Final fantasy 95% preparation and 5% skill. When my friends start I just tell them the basics, give them a little gear, and tell them what macros to make. They do fine.[/quote]

i know rdm 75 and they cannot keep a simple refresh wheel or pld can keep the hate from a blm just used a bio 2 in a mob whit 85% hp
so the people need a few skill and im not a great player just a regular or few
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-06 11:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason your rdm friend can not keep refresh up has nothing to do with a pl and everything to do with how much he sucks.

He could relevel rdm in a pt 100 more times without a pl and he would still suck.
 Kujata.Bladerah
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Bladerah 2009-01-06 11:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

personally i dont care what the lvl is if it were up to me i'd have an outside whm curing @ merit pt greater colibri, i dont think it would hinder me learning how to play a job in the end, got 4 75s so far i'd say i play the jobs well enough :P
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-01-06 12:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Scuzzelbutt said:
I PL myself by not really Curing but I have a Haste Macro that I hit to keep haste on all the DD's.

/ma "Haste" Scuzz
/wait 23
/ma "Haste" You
/wait 23
/ma "Haste" Yourfriend

Helps out a ton and also I have R2-R3 if someone takes a spill.

This. But an additional backup cure or silena etc is also nice.
 Gilgamesh.Raulin
By Gilgamesh.Raulin 2009-01-06 12:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
The reason your rdm friend can not keep refresh up has nothing to do with a pl and everything to do with how much he sucks.

He could relevel rdm in a pt 100 more times without a pl and he would still suck.

is not mi friend so is true is not problem of have or dont have pl so one player must have skill not 5% like you say
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-06 12:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek, are you telling me a whm that is not used to take out debufs; to see who gets them; to cure quickly and in the right way; can ever be as good as one who did that for 60+ levels???

Pratice makes perfection and PL does not alow you to practice, and i cant see how you can argument against that!!!

Leveling my rdm (and actually raulin was there) i went to the Toramas at Ose pop site. They spam paralyse and silence. I got more practice doing it there (for 3 or so levels) than I did in all the rest of leveling rdm to 75. It was there that i learn to keep haste, refresh, debufs on mob and take debufs of pt. And let me tell you, knowing you have to do it is not the same as practicing it and actually doing it in useful time. (nin needs to be silenaed or paralynaed very quickly)

The game is easy, but if you dont want to get frustrated from dieing at a shity sky NM cause ppl didnt erase and tanks died to soon. Or cause tank didnt engage and voke quick so a couple of mages went down... that happens because ppl have no pratice... And if you have no PL, beeing too slow is an issue.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-01-06 13:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason I play WHM and now RDM is I love the challenge of keeping a party alive. When I merit I prefer parties without a standard tank: i.e. my last 34k/hr merit party was 'and NOT on colibri' ...

DRK/SAM
DRK/SAM
WAR/SAM
SAM/WAR
BRD/NIN
WHM/SCH

No real tank; no PL; on Mamool too, not Colibri ... that party was so damn fun we stayed out for about 3 hours and we got every one 10 merits.

I'd love to see some healer who has been PL their entire way to 75 keep up with that. A healer is supposed to learn things like hate control, damage reduction, debuffs to remove, etc. Tanks should be learning how to control hate as well. Neither of which gets done properly with a PL present.

The only place I'd see a need for PL would be dunes. Any job can tank and any job with cure spells can main heal and almost all parties suck there. Yes when you get a party with all experienced players exp can be awesome but with 5 random noobs and you, exp will suck.
First Page 2 3 4